wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:48 AM

I think Boot\bootvhd.dll is needed since Win10 1903 for booting VHD in BIOS mode

UEFI_MULTI takes care since that date to add Boot\bootvhd.dll

#27 noel

noel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:47 AM

@alacran : thank you for doing the research and taking the time to compare. And to be more meticulous than me. You can give me lessons for that

@wimb : thank you for the link.I admit that if I have a search on the site I would have found faster 

Now I can come back and play with add Bluetooth support in my winpe (yes, not very useful, just for fun, audio is OK, phone is not ok, I can transfer a file to and from my smarthphone via bth).

#28 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:19 AM

I think Boot\bootvhd.dll is needed since Win10 1903 for booting VHD in BIOS mode

UEFI_MULTI takes care since that date to add Boot\bootvhd.dll

I found Windows\Boot\PCAT\bootvhd.dll on the Win10 v1809 Iso too, maybe you never used this version as it was first canceled and later delayed a lot.

alacran

Attached Files

#29 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:40 PM

Now I can come back and play with add Bluetooth support in my winpe (yes, not very useful, just for fun, audio is OK, phone is not ok, I can transfer a file to and from my smarthphone via bth).

Instead of using PE in VHD, you can use a full Win10x64 in 50 GB VHD located on Portable SSD as Portable Operating System.

In that case all features of normal Win10x64 are available. More Info here and in

I use Win10XPE WIM file for booting from RAMDISK and full Win10x64 in 50 GB VHD for booting as FILEDISK

@alacran

Thanks for the info on precise Win10 version that bootvhd.dll was introduced

#30 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:58 PM

Well, if the scope (declared, clear, not up to debate) is "playing with a WinPE" in order to "add to it bluetooth" a "real" Windows 10 is not IMHO particularly useful

:jaclaz:

:duff:

Wonko

#31 noel

noel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 13 April 2020 - 04:20 PM

@winb Very happy to read you text. Effectively, i use also a full win10 in a vhd.

Because i use my own tool, i follow an sequence differrent than one  is described in the link

The result is a big winpe and the differences are the hives  SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE and SYSTEM and i rename some files ( i use a memo to remember their names).

SAM and SECURITY come from Winpe

SOFTWARE and SYSTEM are the original file that i modify manually. I found an old site 5 or 6 years ago witch explain the method ( 3 or 4 keys in registry ) and they give the name of RAMOS. I never can put ma hand on the site in 2020. 

@wonko, so yes, i use a win10 and i downgrade it to a winpe.

It's that a call a winpe FullFLat. And it's with that i find many workaround that you can find in win10XPE, winpese like "message 05BAh for explorer", possibility to use WDP-MTP protocol, printers, and now BTH. This fullflat winpe is a base for compare behavior.

But i think nobody use this and know this now. It seems to me it was in a chinese site....i goggle....ramos winpe.... some hits....

On this one   i can see a post 2015-04-06 ( not to old) and after translation :

作者:ygbsss
链接:https://www.zhihu.co...nswer/605261509
来源:知乎
著作权归作者所有。商业转载请联系作者获得授权,非商业转载请注明出处。

2, la production signifie différent WinPE est basé sur le pe Microsoft original, la transformation est venue.RamOS est basé sur le système d’origine de Microsoft. L’utilisation de systèmes minces est également microsoft modification du système d’origine.

3, différentes fonctionsWinPE est pour la maintenance et a tellement de fonctionnalités manquantes que de nombreuses applications ne peuvent pas être utilisés. Le pe multifonctionnel est souvent de grande taille, seulement adapté pour des applications spécifiques, pas universelle.RamOS est utilisé et est entièrement fonctionnel et peut être utilisé comme un système normal.

Sorry it's in french, i translate in english with some corrections :

2, WinPE is based on the original Microsoft pe. RamOS is based on Microsoft's original system. The use of thin systems is also microsoft modification of the original system.

3, WinPE is used for maintenance and has so many features missing that many applications cannot be used. The multifunctional pe is often large, only suitable for specific applications. RamOS is used and is fully functional and can be used as a normal system.

But nothing on the method. So i use mine. And it work well.

Sorry for my poor english.

Noel

#32 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 April 2020 - 04:53 PM

Maybe you can spend a little time enumerating those 3 or 4 Registry keys in Software and System that you change.

Wonko

#33 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:34 PM

What is the advantage of booting a Win10 PE flat in VHD as compared to booting a full Win10x64 in VHD as FILEDISK ?

#34 noel

noel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:56 PM

@wonko i do that little documentation in the other site but this other site is broken sice one week i think. And the doc need some upgrade when MS push a winpe or win10 with a new a disruptive file. But i can copy here in a new post. I think i have much tume iin front of me, our chief of france speak in 2 minutes and i think he'll say " stay at home 2 weeks more)

@winb le major difference is winpe entry in bcd and the winpe's context security. So, investigation runs with full files and full services/drivers....

Perhaps i misunderstand you. Do you investigate into winpe? with windbg or other debugger? So, if yes, you need sometimes to compare winpe and winpe FullFlat because the last one containss the most full environment.

Perhaps i must say an other time that my need of winpe is not to use it as a maintenance technician nor build an iso and boot into winpe to make partition or install w10.I do that in the past  10 or 20 years ago.

Now i play to add absents features, not  applications like opera or vlc... but Printers, WPD-MTP, BTH.... So, i need environment no-volatil, sometimes with full services/drivers but in the security context of winpe...

Difficult to explain with the language barriere

So, i prefer that someone think that i'm a stupid boy because with my poor english i don't want to offense him

The banned site is out of service and the result of my investigations is in.
But on reboot.pro, there are a lot of competent people who help me out quickly. So I thank all the participants of this site who help me and who helped me

#35 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:07 AM

So it is the thingy described starting from here?:

http://reboot.pro/to...e-moi/?p=181019

And now updated and findable here:

http://noel.blanc.free.fr/

right?

Wonko

#36 noel

noel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:40 AM

@Wonko

Whaouuuuu. You find my first work in 2013 !  i make a lot of progress since 2013. And some less hairs .

And yes, i think i misunderstand RAMOS since 2013 and now also. Because of my poor english.

For the second link, i must make update. Too old !!!

About FullFlat ( the name i gice because i don't find better in MS 's doc)  documentation, yesterday, i rewrite my own doc. i add some "notice/warning". Because i make a FullFalt winpe only one per year, i don't use tools. About this last point, i prefer use Ms' tools rather than GUI third party ( cetainly good by i don't like black box, i prefere understand and know what i do )

I post here my memo but it's not a "bible".

If you want, you can take control of this winpe fullflat from mstsc. You say yes and i send you an invitation file from msra. And you can see result ( not building sequence) Don't format my disks.

Warning : i make an error when i rewrite this memo. Sorry. The good one.

Attached Files

#37 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

Just to inform I went to my Backups and found Windows\Boot\PCAT\bootvhd.dll on the Win10-build 10586 v1511 Iso too, I can't chek furter since this is the oldest version I have.

alacran

Attached Files

#38 noel

noel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:39 PM

@alacran

So, i was very lucky to use an bootmgr date 2012 in my disk usb. It's true i never formate again since i buy it. I think that bootmgr that i use comes from a wintogo W8 but not sure. Thank you to go in the past and in your achive. Now i use the new files in my new disk 2TB.

#39 noel

noel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:02 PM

@Wonko

I understand between the lines that you are not convinced by my modus operandi or by the interest of fullflat. It's not a big deal.

But I owe you the fact that I can use my 2 TB drive.
Thank you

#40 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:28 AM

Well, between the lines there is actually nothing, of is there anything I didn't put it there .

As a matter of fact, I am the only one here (exception made for you) that think that there are reasons to use a "full flat" WinPE in a .vhd (or in a plain image file if native vhd booting is not used) and supported your approach (and your choices), other opinions were more like "bah, why don't you use a .wim" and "bah, why don't you use a full install".

Only for the record, it is not my role to take control of *anything*, particularly in this case where I have no idea what mtsc is :w00t: (let alone mtra).

But really, Windows 10 is far beyond anything I am interested in playing with at the moment.

JFYI, this post is written in XP (SP2, and yes, I know) with Opera 12.x (the real one with Presto engine) and at the most (for something it is actually *needed*) I use Windows 7 on another machine.

Wonko

#41 noel

noel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:47 AM

I apologise with my French humour.
I had read in another post that you were using XP but I did not believe it. I also went through the archives a little in this site. Your career in the field of computer science is remarkable (I want to say atypical)  . Your height of view just as much .

I'm not sure the translator doesn't distort that  points.

I'm admiring. Sincerely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users