Photo
- - - - -

Windows File Search Utility that is FAST!

utility search file find

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

@wfunction

You see  it is so rare to have the possibility/chance to "talk" to the actual developer :) (actually that is quite easy, having the developer listening and reply is the difficult part ;))  that I tend to overload the unfortunate guy that actually accepts entering this kind of discussion with ideas/feature requests/etc., of course there is no "deadline" or expected *anything*, just ideas that you are perfectly free to ignore if you find them leading the tool on a different path from what you designed or if it is too complex (or whatever).

About regular expressions, iMHO they are useful, only still IMHO and providing for the sake of the example completely faked data :w00t: they won't be used by - say - 82.74% of the "intended audience" of the GUI version (that has them) while the 97.14% of the (much less) users of the command line tool (which has not them) would find them very useful and actually use them.

I'll check if I can "separate" the two apps, thanks.

@saddlejb

JFYI, Everything has a different approach, it makes a "own" index of all files on the volumes and then searches for files in this index, whilst Swiftsearch - if I get this right - directly parses the $MFT of the NTFS volume.

There are of course advantages and disadvantages of each approach, but AFAICT Swiftsearch seems like a "more portable" approach.

:cheers:

Wonko

#27 wfunction

wfunction

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

@wfunction

You see  it is so rare to have the possibility/chance to "talk" to the actual developer  :) (actually that is quite easy, having the developer listening and reply is the difficult part  ;))  that I tend to overload the unfortunate guy that actually accepts entering this kind of discussion with ideas/feature requests/etc., of course there is no "deadline" or expected *anything*, just ideas that you are perfectly free to ignore if you find them leading the tool on a different path from what you designed or if it is too complex (or whatever).

Haha yeah don't worry. :)

@wfunction

About regular expressions, iMHO they are useful, only still IMHO and providing for the sake of the example completely faked data :w00t: they won't be used by - say - 82.74% of the "intended audience" of the GUI version (that has them) while the 97.14% of the (much less) users of the command line tool (which has not them) would find them very useful and actually use them.

Sure, it might be that only 5% of the GUI users use regular expressions.

The question isn't how many people use regexes. Rather, the question is, what do you gain from not having them?

I personally think the 400 KB is worth it. Even a 1.44" floppy has no trouble holding an 850 KB program. :)

If the extra 400 KB of the executable is causing you problems, I would consider removing the feature -- but otherwise, I just don't see the benefit of removing regex support from the GUI.

It's there if you need it, and it doesn't get in your way.

You don't even have to know about its existence in order to use the program, so it doesn't cause any confusion of any sort... so I don't see what the benefit of removing it is.

Edited by wfunction, 10 September 2013 - 02:56 AM.

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Sure :), not every fish uses a bicycle, but since bicycles only take very little space in an aquarium underwater cabinet :w00t: there should be at least one in each of them.  ;)

Personally I have no issues whatsoever with Regular Expressions, as a matter of fact I was trying to convince you to add them (as well as other features) to the command line version, or more generally, to trick you :ph34r: into making a command line version with the same (or better) features than the GUI one. :dubbio:

Wonko

#29 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Yes I learned about it recently.

I think when I tried it, it was slower than SwiftSearch?

I only tried it once, so not sure.

Everything is pretty good and YES it is slower on the initial scan but just as fast once it's made the scan.  If you leave it running in the tray this will only happen once.

#30 wfunction

wfunction

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Everything is pretty good and YES it is slower on th einitial scan but just as fast once it's made the scan.  If you leave it running in the tray this will only happen once.

You can also keep SwiftSearch in the tray, just press Escape. :) It should auto-reindex every 15 minutes or so.

#31 wfunction

wfunction

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

Sure  :), not every fish uses a bicycle, but since bicycles only take very little space in an aquarium underwater cabinet  :w00t: there should be at least one in each of them.   ;)

Uhm (no offense honestly) but I hope you realize that's a stupid example.

Personally I have no issues whatsoever with Regular Expressions, as a matter of fact I was trying to convince you to add them (as well as other features) to the command line version, or more generally, to trick you :ph34r: into making a command line version with the same (or better) features than the GUI one. :dubbio:

Yeah I realized, but that's not how you use command-line tools. That's what GREP is for.

GREP honestly doesn't affect the speed any noticeable amount when I try it on my computer.

How much does it slow down by on yours?

Edited by wfunction, 10 September 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#32 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Uhm (no offense honestly) but I hope you realize that's a stupid example.

Naah, it was just an attempt (failed) to be funny :).

Wonko

#33 wfunction

wfunction

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Naah, it was just an attempt (failed) to be funny :).

Wonko

Ahh haha okay.

#34 wfunction

wfunction

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

I've added the ability to search multiple drives in the newest version.

I've also added some very basic ability to select multiple files, but I don't recommend it -- it's not very useful at the moment.

Hope you guys like it.

#35 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think I have found a bug or two?

If there is an NTFS formatted USB Flash drive, then switftsearch will search that too, as expected.

If the Flash drive is then removed, 15 minutes (or so??) later the app crashed in XP - with a 'report this to MS' dialog box.

Also, I had trouble with the F5 key - I seemed to have to press it many times to get a refresh/re-index to work???

P.S. Are you thinking about a copy multiple files function?

#36 wfunction

wfunction

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

I think I have found a bug or two?

If there is an NTFS formatted USB Flash drive, then switftsearch will search that too, as expected.

If the Flash drive is then removed, 15 minutes (or so??) later the app crashed in XP - with a 'report this to MS' dialog box.

Also, I had trouble with the F5 key - I seemed to have to press it many times to get a refresh/re-index to work???

P.S. Are you thinking about a copy multiple files function?

Oh interesting... the index refreshes itself every 15 minutes, so when you remove the flash drive I guess it doesn't expect that haha. I'll look into it, thanks for letting me know.

F5 should work correctly with only once press (are you using version 2.0 or 2.1? Version 2.0 had a little bug).

However it only invalidates the index -- if the index has not yet been fully created, then it has no effect.

Copying multiple files is a little tedious to implement, I'll probably look into it when I have more time.

#37 wfunction

wfunction

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

I just released a new version, hopefully it's fixed there.

#38 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

Since I saw Steve6375 first post I have been using this tool on every new version, and disabled Windows search and indexing.

This little appication is great.

alacran

#39 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:56 AM

The "Everything" search utility by voidtools.com is the best I've found. It is tiny, portable, stores results in a database rather than real-time search (for fast results), and has most if not all of the features mentioned in this thread. I cant speak for/against SwiftSearch since I've never tried it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility, search, file, find

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users