speed slow install.wim integrity check fix windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kpdozer

kpdozer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

Hello I am using the original Windows 7 setup.exe. Subjectively, it is more stable but slower. A lot of time it takes to stage "Expanding files 0%". According to my observations at this point setup.exe install.wim integrity checks. 
Maybe somebody was able to skip this step? Is it possible to patch setup.exe to save precious time?
Thanks

#2 kpdozer

kpdozer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

Just in my experience, this step does not start when there is a start setup.exe from the network.

Edited by kpdozer, 14 February 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

I am not sure integrity checking works this way. I have seen imagex /apply stop with an integrity error at 56%, 78%, etc. So I don't think it checks the whole file first (if it did then it would stick at 0% for several minutes while it read the whole 3GB file - and this does not happen in most installs.

Maybe you could explain what your setup is and what the symptoms are, rather than trying to guess at the solution? Is the target partition pre-formatted? If so how? Are you loading the wim file over the network? etc.

• Brito likes this

#4 kpdozer

kpdozer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Setup.exe runs from USB-HDD. Before installing the drive unformatted and has no partitions. I used to track actions ProcessMonitor Setup.exe. This creates one partition and its contents are not stagnant until install.wim not be checked. At this point, the only thing that happens is a sequential read Install.wim. As soon as the counter becomes 0% real begins unpacking Install.wim file and hard drive partition appear operating system files.

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

What happens if you first format the drive with a single partition - do you still get a long delay before 0%?

#6 kpdozer

kpdozer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

The same thing happens. This does not affect the installation. I also get a big delay. It is not very noticeable if install.wim 2-3 GB in size. But if the image size is more than 10GB, unpacking takes 2 times longer compared with IMAGEX.

Edited by kpdozer, 14 February 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#7 Agent47

Agent47

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 164 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hi

I would recommend to give a try to WinNTSetup by JFXhttp://www.msfn.org/...winntsetup-v33/

#8 kpdozer

kpdozer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hi

I would recommend to give a try to WinNTSetup by JFXhttp://www.msfn.org/...winntsetup-v33/

Thanks, but unfortunately I do not see any reason to use third-party installer itself that may have errors and may not be correct to repeat certain functions of the native installer. I just want to reduce the installation time, but I have not the skill to make the patch Setup.exe.

• milindsmart likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speed, slow, install.wim, integrity check, fix, windows 7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users