Photo
- - - - -

Desktop PC Hanging on every BSD(FreeBSD, OpenBSD) USB boot!

bsd image usb boot desktop bios

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mbzadegan

mbzadegan

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:15 AM

Hi everybody,

I have USB memory stick that contain BSD Images (ex. OpenBSD) and I can boot from it on my NoteBook (DELL Latitude E6410) without any issue.

BUT, When I want to boot it from my PC (Intel Core i3), It hanged on first BIOS step and even I can not enter to BIOS Setup!

BTW, I tested my PC with PLOP boot manager but also PLOP have been hanged when I insert my memstick!

How can I resolve my issue?

#2 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:54 AM

I had this problem when trying to boot PCBSD and FreeBsD from USB, it would start to boot then complain that it couldnt find/set root, couldnt find the boot medium, or sometimes the kernel would panic. If you can burn an ISO to a physical disc then you might have more luck, worked for me. At least that way I was usually able to get the installer to start. You might also want to try Easy2Boot, I didnt try it much with BSD OSes, but it might work for you. I dont really think that anything BSD is worth the effort for me unless I can find a specific use for it. Honestly, I'd say either run it in a VM, or go with any of the more widely used Linux distros that might interest you. I cant think of anything specific the BSDs can do that Linux cant do, at least not off-hand anyway.
  • mbzadegan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bsd image, usb boot, desktop bios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users