PE2?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

Mainly @Allanf

Since a while I'm observing the PE2? posts.

I never tried because -as you know- it has something to do with Vista and therefore no issue for me.

But serious:
  • What is the user's advantage if he uses a PE2? WAIK build CD against the use of a XP based PE CD?
    (Assumed that all apps can be placed onto both CDs)
  • I have legal XP and W2003 (and I do not want to buy anything else)
    If I download and use demo (?) WAIK, what's in the future?
    What about new SPs when the old ones (which I need) are not available?
My post does not mean that the project is 'rubbish'
@Allanf! You are developing a great project! :lol:

This are just my personal concerns. :thumbup:

Peter

#2 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

• What is the user's advantage if he uses a PE2? WAIK build CD against the use of a XP based PE CD?
    (Assumed that all apps can be placed onto both CDs)
  • I have legal XP and W2003 (and I do not want to buy anything else)
    If I download and use demo (?) WAIK, what's in the future?
    What about new SPs when the old ones (which I need) are not available?

psc,

I cannot answer the first question because my experience with XP projects is limited.

'Windows Automated Installation Kit' is free ... ATM! It is MS's officially supported method of deploying Vista/Server 2008. It is not a demo. It comes pre-loaded with networking and drivers. Loads into RAM.

I don't understand the question about service packs. Two versions of WAIK have been released - one for the original Vista, one for the VistaSP1 and Server 2008 - both available now.

@Allanf! You are developing a great project! :lol:

Thank you! It is not really my work. I read the WinPE 2.x User's Guide, and implement the instructions with Winbuilder... many more pages in the Guide to go! Credit goes to MS and Nuno, and the developers of other projects who I have folllowed... including yourself!

Regards :thumbup:

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

Thanks, Allanf.

That gives me the intention of a trial!

As far as I followed the discussion, the 20 is the better start. Correct?

Peter

#4 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:36 AM

Thanks, Allanf.

That gives me the intention of a trial!

As far as I followed the discussion, the 20 is the better start. Correct?

Peter

@psc,

'pe2' develpoment has stopped, so if you find any bugs, you will need to fix them yourself! It was working OK... for me, at least... not a lot of feed back. The WAIK for that one is v.1.0

'pe21' is under development, and if you find any bugs, you can fix them yourself too! ... :lol: ... It has many more features and programs, so would be the better choice. It requires the WAIK for VistaSP1/Server 2008. When I updated to the latest WAIK, the installer said to uninstall the previous version first. I simply renamed the existing 'Program Files\Windows AIK\' folder to 'Windows AIK 1.0' in case I needed the old version again.

I hope I caught you before the big ( > 1GB ) download... if download-capacity is an issue for you - it is for some people.

Burn the download to DVD, and start the DVD's autorun (re-insert the DVD), and select the 'setup' to install the WAIK (preferrably to default 'Program Files'). Requirements like .NET 2 and MSXML will be detected. There is also a HotFix on the DVD for imagex.exe use on some computers (... not sure when it is required?). And if you require a Language other than en-US, copy the 'WinPE_LangPacks\' folder from the DVD to HDD, or leave the DVD in the drive, and browse to it from the pe2/pe21 interface.

Regards :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users