Photo
- - - - -

Multi-Partition Multi-Boot USB

multi-partition multiboot multipartition usb multipartition multipartition multi boot

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

Dear brothers, I'm a newbie to this bootable world, need some guidance.

I have made a Multi-Partition Multi-boot using WinSetupFromUSB then hid the bootable partition and BIOS detects the secondary bootable partition whereas Windows detects only first Public Partition. works well with HBCD and Win-XP setup but Win 7 says that "CD-Drivers are missing".

I would be most thankful if someone pls tell me how to fix this and also simple way to install Win XP 7, 8, 2008R2 on a single multipartition usb bootable.

Here is menu.lst;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

color black/cyan yellow/cyan
timeout 10
default /default

#graphicsmode 0x6A
graphicsmode -1 640 480:800 24:32 || graphicsmode -1
## Menu AutoNumber
write 0x8274 0x2001

#graphicsmode -1 800:640 -1 24:32 || graphicsmode -1
#font /unifont.hex.gz

splashimage=(hd0,1)/splash/fedora.xpm.gz

title  ------------------Unauthorized Access to Menu is Not Allowed-------------
root

title Win XP Setup
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook && map --rehook
savedefault
ls /usbdrive.tag > nul || find --set-root --devices=hf /usbdrive.tag > nul
configfile /winsetup.lst

title  ---------------------------------------
root

title Start Win 7 Setup
root (hd0,1)
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook && map --rehook
ls /bootmgr > nul || find --set-root --devices=hf /bootmgr > nul
chainloader /bootmgr
savedefault +2

title Start Win 7 DEBUG
map --unhook
map --unmap=0:0xff && map --rehook
savedefault +1
ls /usbdrive.tag > nul || find --set-root --devices=hf /usbdrive.tag > nul
configfile /vistastp.lst

title Start Win 7 DEBUG-Boot first internal disk
map --unhook
map --unmap=0:0xff && map --rehook
savedefault
ls /shifthd.bat > nul || find --set-root --devices=hf /shifthd.bat
/shifthd.bat
if "%RDSK%"=="" pause Fatal error while swaping hard disk order, cannot continue! && configfile /menu.lst
pause --wait=3 Booting MBR on hd0 ...
chainloader (hd0)+1

title  --------------------------------------------
root

Edited by Technikal2006, 14 November 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

When Windows 7 Setup boots, it runs WinPE (a cut down version of Win7). Just like any Windows, it will only see the first partition on a USB flash drive, so it won't see the \sources\install.wim file if it is on the 2nd partition.

One way around this is to swap the partitions over before you boot to bootmgr. You can do this using grub4dos to read the partition table, swap over the two partitions and then write back the new table. If you look at Easy2Boot on my site, there is a file called E2B_PTN_SWAP.mnu in the \_ISO\docs\Sample menu files folder that contains the code you need.

Alternatively, just use Easy2Boot...

• Technikal2006 likes this

#3 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thank you so very much Steve. I would appreciate if you could provide some more detail because I have made following partitions of usb..

Partition 1 - Public Drive ---- for General Data (Visible)

Partition 2 - Multiboot ------ XP, HBCD etc

Partition 3 - Win 7

Partition 4 - WIn 8

Advance in thanks....

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

Did you download E2B and look at the .mnu file that I mentioned?

#5 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Why would you need multiple partitions on the USB stick at first place?

As said, Windows is limited to seeing and using only the first partition, unless a filter driver such as dummydisk, diskmod or cfadisk is installed to EACH Windows, you need to see all partitions, that includes injecting those drivers in EACH Windows Setup, XP, 7 or whatever.

The other way around would be to keep changing the visible partition, using no matter what- easy2boot, BootIce or whatever.

You'd better flip the removable bit of that USB stick and turn it permanently into USB fixed disk, then Windows will use it as a regular hard disk, letting you see and use all partitions without the need of external filter drivers.

Or simply put all you need to have on the USB stick in one partition and make a new folder for all your DATA. Search the board a bit how to do it.

If you need multiple partitions just to have different installers of 2008, XP, 7 or whatever, both latest WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 and easy2boot will do that for you, no need at all of multiple partitions in this regards.

#6 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Brother Steve, I have seen your E2B instructional video and the file as well but dont know how to use. I am just a beginner with this idea to save my time at job and make effective use of it.

#7 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

Brother, actually I need a USB with "Public" and "Private" partition that will be ineffected by viruses or accidental deletion. "Public" (for general data) being visible, "Private" being hidden and multiboot but bios detects the hd0,1 so it works fine......but the only problem is multiple Win setup i.e. Win 7, Win8 and 2008 R2 in a single partition or multiple....
I tried many USB drives to FLIP RMB and USB MS Tools also but non worked with my USBs.
It would be a great utilization for me to have a single USB for General Data and Multiboot secure and multi-purpose.

I appreciate all who show interest helping me.  Thank you brothers. (Brothers from the same Technology World we all belong)

#8 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

You can do this using Easy2Boot.

Create 1 partition using RMPrepUSB for Easy2Boot  (say 50% of total drive size or whatever).

Make the Easy2Boot USB pen and add the E2B files and all your ISOs, etc. and get it all working as in the video.

Add also the E2B_PTN_SWAP.mnu file to \_ISO\MAINMENU

Then use Easeus Home Partition Master and create a 2nd partition for your 'public' files.

Now boot to E2B and use the Swap partition menu entry to re-order the two partitions so the E2B partition is hidden as the 2nd ptn.

When you want to install WIndows, use the swap partition menu entry - install Windows - then use the entry again to change back the partitions.

#9 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

Thank you so much brother I will try this and will inform you about the results. Thanks for this great effort. 

#10 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Great work.... It works just excellent..... Thank you so much Brother

Edited by Technikal2006, 17 November 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#11 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

See the \_ISO\Sample_MyE2B.cfg file for password settings and also Tutorial 21 on my site.

cheers

Steve

To have different passwords on different menus is not supported at the moment.

#12 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Brother Steve but the Win 8 is not working... Let me check again and I will  give complete detail...

#13 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Brother Steve but the Win 8 is not working... Let me check again and I will  give complete detail...

You must unhide the E2B partition first before running the Win8 ISO file.

#14 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Brother Steve, Win 8 not working with Partition Unhide when Win 8 Placed in Win 8 Folder... it says...."No Images Found".

But it works fine when Win 8 iso copied in Win 7 folder... But it works fine then....

#15 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

I placed Win 8 iso in Win 8 folder and copied Win 7 sample file to Win 8 folder then tried and its working fine...Completed installation just fine.

#16 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

If you unhide the partition, then the USB drive is the same as an ordinary E2B drive.

If I install E2B 1.17 and then add a win8 ISO to \_ISO\Windows\Win8 folder, it works fine.

Did you delete any files from the Win8 folder?

#17 Technikal2006

Technikal2006

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

I was using 1.16, let me try 1.17.

Edited by Technikal2006, 22 November 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#18 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

You mentioned that you get this problem with hide/unhide ptn - what if you just make a single partition E2B drive - does it all work then?

v1.17 is at the bottom of the Tutorial page (but 1.16 is fine)

You said the error was 'no images found' - where does this come from - is it a Windows error message or an E2B/grub4dos error message?

When when you copy some of the sample xml files (which file exactly do you copy?) to the Win8 folder why does it work? 

Can you see the Win8 ISO in the E2B menu?

Do you get the three options to select a KEY file or XML file of choose a key after selecting the Win8 ISO file?

Can you give a screen shot of the error message for Win8?

Are you sure the partition is unhidden when before you try to install Win8 - send a screenshot of the E2B main menu at the point just before you select Install Windows (W) menu.

It should say Hide E2B Partition in the Main menu (because the partition should be in an unhidden state) before you press W to install Win8...?

No one else has reported this issue, I cannot reproduce it and at least one other person I know uses the 2-partition E2B arrangement with the E2B_PTN_SWAP.mnu file in the Main menu and it works for them?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multi-partition, multiboot, multipartition usb, multipartition, multipartition multi boot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users