#176 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

i have just given you what u have asked copying from bootice and pasting it on here. I had already told you that i could not post screenshots on here because there is no ctrl-v that could paste them, nor a hatch where to point to files from. all I have is a url for me to indicate. 

#177 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

I might be an ignorant but not a fool

"So the whole boot process is

1. Boot from HDD

2. load grub4dos

3. load vhd and map as hd1

4. run bootmgr from inside vhd (hd1)

5. bootmgr loads BCD from inside vhd

6. BCD points to NeoGrub.mbr on hd1

7. NeoGrub.mbr runs grub4dos

8. grub4dos runs \NST\menu.lst

9. \NST\menu.lst maps vhd as hd1 (again) or may fail due to insufficient memory?

10. run bootmgr - goto step 5"

is almost all wrong

1. Boot from HDD

2. should read load a grub4dos menu consisting of 4 alternative entries: a) g4d bootloader, B) vhd, c) vhd1, d) vhd2, and it loads the one u ask, not all 4 of them together. 

3. load vhd (if u ask for 1, not automatically) and map as hd1

4. run bootmgr from inside vhd (hd1) (at a certain point yes, the inside one takes over); then u ultimately have the windows interface

the rest i do not know if it is correct. 

5. bootmgr loads BCD from inside vhd

6. BCD points to NeoGrub.mbr on hd1

7. NeoGrub.mbr runs grub4dos

8. grub4dos runs \NST\menu.lst

9. \NST\menu.lst maps vhd as hd1 (again) or may fail due to insufficient memory? (again? why?)

10. run bootmgr - goto step 5"

this must be misunderstanding-based psychological concoction!

???

I am confused? (of course you are, if u mistake disjuction (either/or) for conjunction (both...and)

The BCD that is inside the VHD should just load the VHD that you want (not NeoGrub)???

neogrub (or for that matter grub4dos) is just a raw file reader and mapper, not a program loader (see wonko). it stands to reason that u have lost the will to live, but maybe in the first place, not as a result of my babbling.

#178 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:51 PM

btw, is the base wim file loaded into ram as well as the wimbooting vhd?

#179 quarky42

quarky42

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

i have just given you what u have asked copying from bootice and pasting it on here. I had already told you that i could not post screenshots on here because there is no ctrl-v that could paste them, nor a hatch where to point to files from. all I have is a url for me to indicate. 

On the post window itself where you type your reply, there is a button called "My Media".  You can upload files as attachments there. I believe you can attach the screenshot itself (if it is saved as a file) to the post through the "My Media" interface on the post.

If you need help saving screenshots as a file, do a search on How to Use Windows 10 Snipping Tool.  There is a tool in Windows 10 called Snipping Tool that can help you take screenshots AND save them as files.

OR instead of the above, the other option:

If you absolutely cannot get the My Media and attachment process to work on your replies here, consider creating yourself an account on a site like imgur.com.  You can upload image files to imgur and then imgur will give you a URL that has the image file on it.  You can share the image file here.   There may be even better image hosting sties out there.  That is just one that I use a little bit.

#180 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:41 PM

thanks for your consideration.

anyway the same happened to wimb (225 error), see other post, i do not think what is happening to me is all that uncommon and peculiar.

#181 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:37 AM

Your problem is very simple to solve, Once Again please, start from scratch. Please forget all previous ways you used to boot your VHD, they worked the way it was at that time, but they will not work in new way.

Firsts only to test, do all procedure to boot not from RAM, and just follow the instructions I gave you (on my post) just by the letter, DO NOT include any variation and then booting from bootmanager (not RAMBOOTING from internal HD yet please), we can talk again, remember my instructions (based also on some of wimb and Wonko instructions) are for booting from a USB device. So they will need to be adapted to boot from internal disk (I haven't started to try RAMBOOTING from internal HD upto now, will do it latter). So I can't have any answer related to this subject yet, Keep patient please, this is all experimental yet.

I'm still working very hard to reduce wimboot VHD size, as this is the part loaded on memory it needs to be the smallest possible.

I have found some problems with 8.1u1 x64 Dic 2014 version to create a wimboot VHD of 1 GB, WinNTSetup fails doing it and forced me to use 1.5 GB as minimum.

Please understand all this is on experimental steps, not to try for all users, and  particularly if that person do not follow instucction as they are, and since I have recently  noticed WinNTSetup is sometimes uncapable to make installtions (on very limited space as 1GB) using the standard Windows API, I have tried other approach trying to get the best of the two possible ways, I have found, since my last test made today,  using on WinNTSetup and wimlib-imagex v1.13  "libwim-15.dll",  it can be done, without troubles.

But please give me time to test this to be reliable. and I will let all you know my finding.

alacran

#182 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:29 AM

Dear Alacrán,

thank you for your reply.

Between 1 test and another, let me inform you of what the figures are at this end.

vhd 862mb

wim 8709mb

vhd boots both as filedisk and as ramdisk

everything has been running smoothly

the point that was being made yesterday afternoon Italian time was not as much why it was not working as it was why it was working! the clumsiness of my wording is dictated by a theoretical objection that was made to the menu.lst content which should be different from what it actually is:

map --mem --top (hd0,0)/vhd.vhd (hd1)
map --hook
root (hd1,0)
chainloader /bootmgr

some claim that hd1 should read hd-1
i tried hd-1 instead of hd1 twice and I had to revert it back to hd1 because it was the only way I could get it working as ramdisk.

As for running vhd specifically as a filedisk thru g4d instead of bootmgr (map without --mem), it is something I tried for a couple of weeks since svbus first came as a valid alternative to firadisk. well, I can tell u that it is not much use to me, as it does not guarantee persistence in case of modification, new installation of applications and stuff. the only time I run vhd as a filedisk is to take some action that would not persist across reboots if i did it on vhd as ramdisk. when this is the case, I therefore prefer running it thru bootmgr. I use g4d only for ramloading.

As for what I have discovered of this new magical vhd+wim deployment so far, let me tell u the name of the wim file - mywim3.wim, which means that it is my third capture-and-wimboot session, whereby both vhd and wim get smaller, ... well, much more evidently the wim than the vhd. this was the ad-infinitum story that I was talking about earlier on.

that is all for now

#183 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:13 AM

Hi antonino61

Remember we here are making history testing a mix of procedures as: the not really new wimboot + the new SVBus driver (capable to work loading on RAM 7, 8 and 10) + wimb findings to Ramboot this installed OS on VHD + Wonko idea for booting them  using grub4dos from USB device, + my little contributions, etc

So, nothing is final yet, we are just testing new ideas, as now I'm working on: by means of a RamDisk used to keep all FireFox profile on a RamDisk created on compact NTFS RamDisk drive A:\, to avoid overload to this VHD size, during booting, and do not require to make it bigger,.

I'm using now a 512 MB (can be increased) compressed NTFS drive A:\,  to copy from the compressed source.wim the basic (fix) profile to A:\, and then it will never change every boot, and the original will be reloaded to Ram every boot, (even if OS was not RamBooted).

Once I feel comfortable with this results, I will let you know how to do it, it is very easy, I have done this on SSDs (loading profile and other very frequently changed files to a HDD by hardlinks).

alacran

#184 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:29 AM

I don't see the problem (actually I see a BIG one, which is the use of EasyBCD and of Neogrub, but to each his own).

If the disk on which the VHD resides - regardless of what Windows "sees" - is actually (hd1) (second disk) let it be (hd1) (second disk).

As I posted earlier if you are not using a USB thingy, it makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER to use (hd-1).

So what is the problem?

You found that (hd1) works, the only issue is that you find it out by pure chance and not through a meaningful reasoning or the results of a set of experiment.

Since it works, it is fine. (for you)

The fact that you have a strange disk order in your main OS :w00t:, that you introduced any possible kind of variations to the given set of instructions (after having been told repeatedly to do things EXACTLY) :ph34r: and that you are seemingly not capable of reporting properly and completely the countless variations you introduced :dubbio: are nothing but minor glitches, the approach won't help you make many friends or have meaningful exchanges in a technical community :frusty:, but as long as you - before or later - succeed in the *whatever* you are after, it's fine :).

:duff:
Wonko
  • wimb likes this

#185 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

My Dear Wonko and Alacrán and whomever finds my edition of disk orders in windows and my use of easybcd awkward, 

I don't see what the problem is either.

I wonder what I should have done when I found that windows does not order the disks from the one I use the most to the one I use the least, even when I tried to adjust to "its" order, and did so not always successfully. Anyway, FYI, bootice reports my vhd host drive as hd3, the last of the 4 in the machine. 

As regards reporting incorrectly, I report to the best of my knowledge and belief, on a bona-fide basis.

As for easybcd, I have used it because I find it easy. the day before yesterday I got hold of bootice by chance and discovered its potential, which is honestly way beyond my scope. I just need to boot, possibly properly, of course. should I see any inappropriacy in easybcd, I would report it and strive to redress it.

My use of neogrub is just in the heads of the enlightened, I guess, as this neogrub of mine (ca. 314kb) is bigger than the usual neogrub (ca. 216kb), inasmuch as it is nothing other than the newest g4d you have made available (the one that speeds up the ramloading procedure with nvme's) with its name changed to suit the whims of easybcd (viz., as it likes it, for all I care).

I hardly ever do things my own way; I usually do things what I think is the software's own way.

Whatever I am after, I guess I have declared it in many ways at many times here, and I restate it now as being the achievement of the smallest and quickest windows possible. so much so that I have drifted to wimboot at once as soon as I saw that it was smaller, quicker and neater than my previous hybrid config. I also provided a philosophical explanation and justification to it - i do not think windows is 70gb; I think windows is 1gb (vhd) +9gb (wim) = 10gb, or even less. Previous posts concerning us do not tell me we disagree on this. for the sake of accuracy, i used to think windows was 3-4gb (core vhd) + 45-50gb (the rest that lay outside the vhd). You will agree that it is good progress, will u not?

nino

Ps.: My dream would be to extend and propagate this experience to other ppl, as I have the feeling that most windows users use windows at a lesser potential and to a lesser capacity than we do. For that matter, I wish I had greater IT knowledge, but I am willing to learn, at least. for example, I am willing to learn if the wim file in this new configuration could be loaded into ram as well and, if it could, whether it would speed things up. Always relying on your precious patience and knowledge.

#186 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

Whatever floats your boat. :)

JFYI, the Author of EasyBCD is a guy that comes around with the nick of ComputerGuru that initially ripped off grub4dos renaming it as Neogrub, not respecting its GNU license, and later managed to use grub4dos "as is" again failing to attribute properly its source.

Even after he has been told:

http://reboot.pro/to...cation-via-bcd/

He continued using the senseless Neogrub name (renaming a standard grub4dos) and all he did was to add (in a dedicated page to Neogrub, as if it was anything he wrote, boosting features that are actually grub4dos' ones) this (which is also partially incorrect):

History

NeoGrub started off as a fork (modification) of the Grub4Dos bootloader, with the intention of making an NTFS-aware, Windows-compatible version of the open-source GRUB bootloader available to EasyBCD users. Later versions of Grub4Dos saw some NeoGrub’s changes merged into the official Grub4Dos distribution, and today, NeoGrub actually uses the standard Grub4Dos executables. NeoGrub is made possible thanks to the efforts of the Grub4Dos project and their work on a Windows-compatible GRUB bootloader, in particular, NeoGrub would not have been possible without the work of tinybyt and chenall.

There was NOTHING EVER that was merged from Neogrub to grub4dos, links are (at this point intentionally) leading to obsolete grub4dos and to completely different GRUB pages.

Judging from the integral lack of intellectual honesty he showed in this and in a few other occasions (and to other not so trifling issues like redistribution of non redistributable files) I personally use a 3.5 foot pole to NOT touch anything he is involved in, but as said, it is perfectly fine if you use it, if it works for you.

Wonko

• wimb likes this

#187 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

Pls, wonko, do not get me wrong. If I got hold of a piece of software called "pamelo" instead of easybcd, I would use "pamelo" instead of easybcd. As for neogrub, I have already stated it twice, it is just the name: the software called them neogrub and neogrub.mbr and i changed the name of grldr into neogrub, but in fact it is g4d. if i found neogrub more efficient, i would use neogrub (btw, the advantage of the newest g4d could be seen mostly with big portions (gb) not with just a few megabytes). 

I hope I am not expected to learn whatever concerns the procedures leading to the production of the coffee I drink everyday. All I can say is I am sorry to read that piece of history. at this rate, though, we should not use or eat or drink many of the products out there today as they are the result of some sort of underhand dealings and negotiations, to say the least. it would be theoretically correct, but, what can we really do?

we might as well move on to Steve Job's claim that microsoft stole some of the software from a third company, which was promptly overruled by Bill Gates' claim whereby "I'll put it to u like this, we broke in to steal a monitor only to find out that you had already stolen a tv set." I mean, and so on and so forth.

However, this is only one of my previous post's tenets. what do u say to the rest?

#188 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

what do u say to the rest?

Nothing, though I can confirm that your babbling may actually induce (unintentionally of course :))  *someone* to lose the will to live, it won't work with me, I am too old (and to much a heartless grumpy bastard) to be affected by it, no problem whatsoever :) .

Nonetheless I was expecting that if you go to an academy where coffee production methods are discussed you would have been interested in actual coffee production methods, as in order to just drink a cup of coffee you can go to the coffee shop (Italian: "bar") just around the corner.

Wonko

#189 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

I am here for learning and advice; nothing more. I am sorry, however, to have come across differently.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, linux, window10, vhd, ramloading

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users