Photo
- - - - -

How to install / inject a PCI-mode driver in ACPI-mode (Windows7) ?

emmc acpi pci windows7 win7 install inject ratte iaiosd baytrail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ratte

Ratte
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 23 November 2021 - 03:07 PM

Hello,

some time ago I was looking into installing Windows 7 on a notebook with emmc drive. At some point I had everything I needed, updated my Windows7 with the latest updates and since then I have a running Windows7 on emmc drive.
What still annoys me, however, is that the emmc driver only supports PCI mode, so I have to use the notebook in legacy (MBR) mode, which leads to a very long boot time. I have already solved all other hurdles with UEFI and Windows7 and tested them under Win7toGo and WinPE7 (IntelHD-Gfx and VGASave-Fix).

My question to the reboot community: 
Is it possible to get a PCI driver to run in ACPI mode?
Does it make sense if I boot into the UEFI shell and change systemsettings from there?
Change ACPI tables or write to PCI registers or something similar?

They couldn't help me on the Win-Raid forum, hopefully here are more hardcore users / coders,
On Win-Raid you will find everything I have worked out on the topic so far.

Thanks in advance.
Ratte

Edited by Ratte, 23 November 2021 - 03:15 PM.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2021 - 05:49 PM

Whooosh!

That is the sound of the topic going way over my head. :w00t:

But maybe you want to explore the possibility of changing ACPI tables at boot time:

http://reboot.pro/to...r-at-boot-time/

https://github.com/M...atcher/releases

The  above is just the tool, no idea about what (if anything) might be needed changed/patched. :(

:duff:

Wonko

#3 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:58 AM

Ratte, on 23 Nov 2021 - 09:07 AM, said:

1 - What still annoys me, however, is that the emmc driver only supports PCI mode, so I have to use the notebook in legacy (MBR) mode, which leads to a very long boot time.

2 - I have already solved all other hurdles with UEFI and Windows7 and tested them under Win7toGo and WinPE7 (IntelHD-Gfx and VGASave-Fix).

Let's clarify this a few more:

1 - As I understand this issue should be present only during Win7 installation, and EMMC drive is not seen on UEFI environment, and it's seen only in MBR/CSM environment.

2 - As I understand you are able to UEFI boot from Win7toGo and WinPE7, I assume when booting this way you can see the EMMC drive.

Only if this is the case, following instructions could apply for you:

As long as the OS is capable to UEFI boot from the mass storage device, to UEFI boot there is no need to have the internal mass storage device formated as GPT, you only need to have the required EFI files/folders on first MBR primary active partition, (system partition), and select UEFI boot on the Bios (preferable with Secure Boot dissabled), then depending of your PC Bios/firmware it may need to be FAT-32 (the more common case), but many new Bios also have NTFS drivers to UEFI boot from a NTFS partition, in fact I have 2 PC's that are able to UEFI boot from NTFS MBR primary active partition, (system partition).

Then only thing you should need to do is apply same (drivers, updates, etc.) you used for Win7toGo and WinPE7 to your current installed 7 OS.

In fact I use this approach in one of my PCs, see this post. And it can boot as MBR/CSM or UEFI at will. But using internal HD not EMMC, also never tried this on Win 7x64, I don't expect you may found issues but better make a backup before testing this, just in case.

Without making changes in the Bios, reboot from your WinPE7, and format the first partition as Fat-32 MBR primary active partition (just to be sure it will UEFI boot if your Bios lacks NTFS drivers to UEFI boot), from your WinPE7 create a new set of boot files/folrders into FAT-32 partition using following commands as Admin:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f ALL

C:\Windows = Where Win is installed (just change C: for the letter of your OS partition [where windows is installed] as seen on the WinPE)

/s S:: = Where the boot files/folders will be installed (just change S: for the letter of your System Reserved partition as seen on the WinPE)

/f ALL Installs MBR + UEFI boot files/folders (can be omited if not required and only those that apply will be installed)

For more info see: https://docs.microso...view=windows-11

In case this commands do not fully work when booting from your 7PE, try with a Win10XPE_x64.

After doing this your PC should be capable to MBR and UEFI boot, just selecting in Bios one way or the other. When selecting UEFI boot I recomend to disable Secure Boot as 7x64 is not fully UEFI capable.

In the worst scenario if for any reason the PC do not boot as UEFI, you can set Bios back to boot in CSM/MBR mode again and all should be fine.

alacran

#4 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:03 AM

@ Ratte

You could also use this approach.

alacran

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: emmc, acpi, pci, windows7, win7, install, inject, ratte, iaiosd, baytrail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users