Photo

Is the plan to open the firmware source this year still on track?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hey elegantinvention/isostick staff,

are the plans to open the source code for the firmware this year still on track or has this plan been changed in any way or even abandoned?

It would be great to see this opened up, given the numerous reports of (often UEFI-related) non-working ISOsticks. If you opened it on Bitbucket (which allows also private repos, unlike Github) or Github, people could fork it and send pull-requests.

Thanks in advance for any updates.

#2 bblaauw

bblaauw

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Where was stating it would be opensourced this year? All I've read is that eventually sourcecode would be disclosed, near end-of-production/life status. I don't know about sales of this device, but assume they will increase further once we early adopters are more enthousiastic after some desired firmware changes have been implemented.

Opensourcing once a successor is ready also might be popular.

#3 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

It may have been in an email exchange, but I am just asking. It would make sense, although I see that there are risks involved. Still, if there was information out about how to properly JTAG-debug the ISOsticks the risk of bricking your stick is minimal to non-present and you'd be able to implement minor features yourself.

One such important feature would be to present only the CD/DVD drive to the computer depending on the switch (IMO a very good idea and I saw on the Trello that it is in the pipeline) and to make sure that you can always boot, even on UEFI, even if it means to sacrifice the flexibility of having isosel pop up on every other boot.

#4 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Open-sourcing it is still in the to-do list, but I can't make any guarantees about when it will happen. At the very least, I would like to clean up the firmware a bit more and get these latest issues resolved, this one in particular, before I release the source code.

But I agree, the ability for end users to modify it however they please would be wonderful, and is the reason I would like to open it up at some point.

#5 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:34 AM

Nearly six years since our last conversation. Any news?

#6 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:36 AM

Don't expect an answer, unfortunately.  The dev seems to have moved onto greener pastures.

It's sad, I really want to keep using the two isosticks I bought for UEFI booting but it seems like this is a dead project.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users