Ireland

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

Posted Image

File Name: Rufus
File Submitter: Akeo
File Submitted: 22 Feb 2012
File Updated: 17 Jan 2024
File Category: Boot tools

Rufus is a Windows utility that creates bootable USB flash drives, using DOS or user provided ISO images.
It can be be especially useful for cases where:
  • you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, EFI, etc.)
  • you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
  • you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
  • you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides you with everything you need!

Apart from DOS, which is always available, here is a non exhaustive list of ISOs that Rufus can create a bootable USB drive with:

Arch Linux, CentOS, Clonezilla, Damn Small Linux, Debian, Fedora, FreeDOS, Garuda Linux, Gentoo, GParted, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, KolibriOS, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, Manjaro Linux, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Partition Wizard, Raspbian, ReactOS, Red Hat, rEFInd, Rocky Linux, Slackware, Super Grub2 Disk, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, TrueNAS CORE, Ubuntu, UEFI Shell, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2019, Windows 11

For more info, source (GPL v3), please visit https://rufus.ie.

Click here to download this file
  • u2o and bee4u like this

#2 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

Thanks!

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Looks good! Very easy to use.
Bug in 1.1.2.143 - if I select an ISO file, then dropdown list does not list MSDOS or FreeDOs again even after app. running again?
This (I found out eventually) is due to NTFS being selected when ISO is chosen. I think that you should always have the three choices - if DOS is selected then change filesystem to FAT.

FYI I used a 8GB Pretec USB 3.0 Flash drive and Win 7 64 Enterprise SP1 ISO (inc formatting and file extraction)
RMPrepUSB - 5 min 40 sec
Rufus - 5 min 19 sec

#4 MikhailCompo

MikhailCompo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Am I being thick?

How do i create a DOS or FreeDos drive with this tool?

Basically, I am wanting a drive that is suitable for BIOS flashing from DOS, so MS Dos is better i think.

Edited by MikhailCompo, 24 February 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

Am I being thick?

How do i create a DOS or FreeDos drive with this tool?

Basically, I am wanting a drive that is suitable for BIOS flashing from DOS, so MS Dos is better i think.

Select FAT as the filesystem and you will get the options for MS-DOS and FreeDOS - it is a bug in my opinion!

#6 MikhailCompo

MikhailCompo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Select FAT as the filesystem and you will get the options for MS-DOS and FreeDOS - it is a bug in my opinion!

Aha! Sneaky!

Thanks for the info, i am sure i am not the only person who will need to know that.

It just so happened that i need to create a bootable pen drive using our corporate WinPE3 boot disk which is an ISO and it worked a treat. I like the stage x of x, that is useful (i tried using an '!' for a volume name as a test) - a log file would also be a great addition in case of problems (although i appreciate the author might want to retain certain secrets).

Will try creating an MSDos boot disk tonight for BIOS updates, that is the most interesting feature for me, and also the biggest headache in the past - having to get copies of the dos boot files etc.......

Overall - compliments to Akeo!!

#7 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

You can boot WinPE3 ISOs directly from an ISO file on a USB drive. This means that users would just have to replace the ISO file on their stick and not have to risk formatting/wiping the stick or any other USB drive they have attached. RMPrepUSB will create a grub4dos bootable USb stick. Then just add a menu.lst and your ISO file.

#8 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

Can you change the tittle to something like
Rufus - Create bootable USB flash drives using DOS or ISO images

I was thinking it was a dog thread at first. :loleverybody:
Thanks for the utility.

#9 99ss2759

99ss2759
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I've been using this to make flash drives for our SCCM imaging deployments. Works great! :good:

#10 bee4u

bee4u

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 172 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Great work ... :1st: :1st: :1st: for windows xp its a GEM.. :clap: THX.....for the lovely tool.. :thumbsup: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users