(Start a new thread once more, since this is a major version and I supposed the old thread has been getting long enough...)
It is with great pleasure that I announce the release of Rufus 4.0.
This new major release comes with the following changes:
- Fix persistent partition not working with Ubuntu 23.04
- Fix out of range pointer error with Ubuntu 23.04 when booting in BIOS mode
- Fix boot freeze with Ubuntu Studio when Secure Boot is enabled
- Fix incorrect architecture detection when checking for updates
- Fix a Windows Store application crash when processing GRUB bootloaders
- Fix a Windows Store application crash when enumerating processes that contain a % sign
- Fix a Windows Store application crash when using German localization
Whereas the changes from the last release are mostly fixes, the major version received a bump to 4.x on account that:
- Rufus is now requiring Windows 8 or later (Windows 7 is no longer supported)
- The Rufus executable now defaults to 64-bit x86 rather than 32-bit x86 (though a 32-bit x86 executable is provided if you still need one)
- Previous versions of Rufus might potentially not be able to update to a working 4.0 executable
We also decided not to go through a BETA for this release due to the Ubuntu 23.04 fixes needing to be released on a rather urgent basis.
Hopefully, this new release will live to your expectations. If not, I will remind you that you can always log an issue in the Rufus issue tracker.