14 replies to this topic

#1 Hans0

Hans0
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

My ISOSTICK has been serving me well for the past 6 months. I tried using it a few days ago and half way though imaging a computer with it, it disconnected, then a few seconds later it reconnected (as if I had unplugged it and plugged it back in).

I figured it was a fluke and tried again.. same thing. Tried it in 4 other computers, same thing, and it's getting more frequent. Now I get about a minute, tops, before it disconnects.

I have tried another micro SD card, and tested my normally installed card in another reader -- problem stays with the ISOSTICK (my cards are fine).

I am on the latest stable firmware. I suspect I already know the answer (that my ISOSTICK is bad), but was hoping someone might be able to give me a hint/fix.

The "Warranty" section of the FAQ is vague. It's wording does not actually imply a warranty, but rather a 30-day "happiness guarantee." Is there a warranty? (I have not heard back from support on my trouble ticket yet, and I don't want to have to carry around a stack of CDs again!)

#2 solnyshok

solnyshok
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Latvia

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

what you described looks like overheated chip. usuallt, will die soon. usb ( micro) sdhc readers are weak. I went through 3 cheap ones in the last 2 months. Got fed up and bought usb 3.0 reader. I do not have 3.0 ports, but speed improved around 10%. this reader also does not get so hot during writes.

#3 Hans0

Hans0
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

I don't think it was an overheat issue, since it started happening more frequently, and would only stay online for about 5-15 seconds even plugging it in cold.

I did want to post an update, however. Apparently the ISOSTICK case is not glued shut, and some light pressure with my fingernail on one side of the SD slot hole got it apart. I looked over the circuit board with a microscope, looking for bad solder connections, or burnt looking components - looked good. Smelled all over it, nothing smelled burnt.

I flipped it over and was taking a close look at the firmware update button -- it looked slightly bent. Took a volt meter set to OHMS to the leads and it was definitely making contact (it shouldn't have been!). I gently adjusted the button with a needle, re-tested with the volt meter, no longer making contact (good!)... So, I put it back together, reinserted my SD card and copied 20 GB off the card without incident.

I'd post a picture of the button, but couldn't get my pen-style microscope and my camera phone to work together. It's essentially just a tiny metal ring on a tab. When pressed it makes contact with a pad below it.

So I have it in my system now, monitoring it -- waiting to see if it will disconnect on me again like it was. It's been about 30 minutes, so I will update again if it starts up again... But so far, looks like it was a bent contact tab on the firmware-flash button. 

• solnyshok likes this

#4 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Sorry for my delayed reply, I took Labor Day off and don't usually check the forum on the weekend.

Indeed in rare cases the little tab on the update button gets bent or moved in such a way as to be stuck "on," which holds the chip in reset. I'm glad to hear it is now working!

To answer your question regarding the warranty: within 30 days you may return the isostick for a full refund. After 30 days I handle each case independently, but if troubleshooting leads me to believe a manufacturing defect caused the device to fail, then a replacement is issued.

All defective units are collected for failure analysis to help prevent any such issues in the future.

If you have any further issues with this isostick feel free to open another support ticket and we can troubleshoot it and get it replaced if necessary!

Oh and about overheating: though isosticks can run warm, it is very unlikely for them to overheat. The components are rated to run far hotter than they get even under days of sustained heavy usage in a small enclosed space. In the event of overheating, the isostick will shut down until the temperature drops to acceptable levels, which may cause unpredictable behavior but should prevent permanent damage to the isostick.

:cheers:

#5 Hans0

Hans0
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for your response. I was starting to get worried! I guess even ISOSTICK devs need a break every once in a while.

It's been plugged in to my PC since yesterday when I posted last, and it is still working!  :clap:

#6 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Awesome  :good:

#7 Hans0

Hans0
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

Unfortunately, my problem returned. Random disconnects that get more frequent. Sometimes it will stay connected 15+ minutes, most times I get about 5 seconds before it disconnects.. about 5 seconds later it reconnects and repeats the cycle.  :(

#8 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Oh no!  :hmm:

If you open a support ticket I'll be sure to get that replaced for your right away.

:cheers:

#9 honeychook

honeychook
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

I am having the same problem.

Mine will stay conected for about 15 seconds, then it disconects and re conects.

I think the firmware update button seem to be ok as I can hear it click when I press it.

Any idea on the cause of this fault?

Thanks

#10 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

@honeychookare you running the latest firmware (r1677), and have you tried reseating the microSD card?

Also, if the isostick is connected via a USB hub, try connecting directly to see if the problem persists.

Try loading a different ISO into the isostick's cdrom -- if the problem is resolved by this, please let me know which ISO was loaded when the problem occurred as this would indicate a firmware bug.

#11 honeychook

honeychook
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

I am running the latest firmware.

By being very quick with a paperclip, I was able to downgrade to 1658 but that did not help the problem.

I have tried 2 different micro SD Cards. (The main one I use is a SanDisk 32gb class 10 Ultra which I also formatted just incase it may have been corrupt)

ISO stick has never been plugged into a USB hub, always straight into the computer.

I have mounted several different roms, still same problem.

Any other ideas I might be able to try?

Thanks

#12 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

It sounds like yours has a hardware problem as well.

Please open a ticket here and I will get it replaced: http://isostick.com/...ubmit-a-ticket/

#13 Hans0

Hans0
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

I received my replacement ISOSTICK - this one works as it should. I've been able to test it in about 6 computers without incident. Thanks Elegantinvention!

#14 asm51

asm51
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

My ISOSTICK has started doing exactly the same. It will not stay connected for more than a few seconds at a time. Repeated attempts on different USB ports often results in a BSOD. I've tried different computers, reseating the micro SD card etc. Firmware update button seems OK. I'm well out of warranty and live in the UK so I take it I'm stuffed?

#15 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

@asm51, go ahead and open a ticket and I'll get it taken care of: http://isostick.com/...ubmit-a-ticket/

Please be sure to include your original order number so I can pull up the information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users