• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

At the moment i'm most confused about the question, who should post what there.
Could you elaborate Nuno?

:)

#2 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

I understood it that way:

Lets take a copy of e.g. Vistape12b2/3 and put it in svn.

Then averyone who wants to do a bugfix (and has a login) can go ahead and just fix the problem without waiting for the normal maintainer to do that. Anyone who wants can check out this (hopefully) fixed version if he has problems with the normal version, and the projekt maintainer can take a look and decide what he seems useful and take it over to his project.

Advantages:

a more stable version of a project
several people can do bugfixes without waiting for anyone
user can choose between original version and svn version (if possible from within WB)
If the original project (older versions) disappears we still can have a backup

Disadvantages:

several people messing with the code
project maintainers might not like it

I hope i got it right:-) If not please correct me.

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

who should post what there.

It's simple - people that are known and trusted on the community decide how make best use of this common space.

On the VistaPE case, as was previously discussed - there is a lot of interest on making it better and contributing with improved scripts.

Since at the current state neither the author has time to continue working on daily basis for this project nor it is a good solution to create forks from the current one that exists so we use the SVN as the place where a base project can be uploaded, exchanged and improved by all members that may later be published by Nightman as a stable version if he likes the modifications.

Each project author / maintainer remains completely responsible for publishing the stable versions but newer bugfixes and improvements can be directly uploaded to SVN by other fellow members in order to preserve the flow of development and evolution of a project rather than waiting a long time for them to be incorporated.

This is not meant for a single project but rather for all developers interested in working with a public repository.

Imagine yourself that you placed your own XP project on the SVN, any other developer that liked your project would be able to say "Hey Medevil, check out the SVN folder for NaughtyPE - I've fixed that annoying bug that kept sound from working on all motherboards."

And you say - "thank you" because it keeps the project going well and helps solving many of the current annoyances found in present versions without extra work load for the author.

Or imagine LiveXP where it would be possible to use SVN to update the projects folder on disk and then help Galapo by submitting bugfixes or improvements done on the project to the SVN which he could also later download and include on the stable release of this project.

---

General public can also download from SVN but only trusted members should be allowed to upload files for obvious security reasons.

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:24 PM

So project owners/maintainers can post/host their projects there and wait if anyone is willing to put some time into working on their project too?

I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but the last time, what do i say, the last times we tryed to get people to join into projects, were always followed by deafning silence.

There has always only been short lived 'alliances' between the project maintainers targeted at getting a certain feature working. None even involved more than 2 parties or lasted for an extended period of time.

Heck, i'm sure there can easily a dozend bugs be found in each project, just because people can't even be bothered with reporting back found bugs! :)

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:31 PM

I split the questions to keep the original topic tidy and clean, otherwise our talks might fill pages and pages of interesting discussions and a new thread just for this sole purpose seems more suited.

---

So project owners/maintainers can post/host their projects there and wait if anyone is willing to put some time into working on their project too?

If there is enough raised interest in helping, why not? :)

Look on UXP for example - benxhi and carfan have been posting new updated files for this project but it's somewhat difficult for me to keep up with the changes but these aren't enough to publish a new version and carfan himself has little time to make more changes public so SVN comes to solve this matter in a clean way.

Each developer that likes any given project can update a given script with his improved version to the repository - no fuzz.

If something is wrong then SVN also allows to go back and remove any changes up to a particular date.

---

I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but the last time, what do i say, the last times we tryed to get people to join into projects, were always followed by deafning silence.

eheh.. I think you're being a bit pessimistic indeed (by your own words.. :) )

At the moment this was already being done with VistaPE and most of the published modifications were getting lost in daily forum motion, we're just providing better work conditions to ensure people can truly work together and work with the same updated scripts - nothing fancy.

There has always only been short lived 'alliances' between the project maintainers targeted at getting a certain feature working. None even involved more than 2 parties or lasted for an extended period of time.

Most of the projects you find today are incredibly filled with excellent individual contributions from other .script developers so this is nothing new nor recent.

Important is to ensure that things continue to move forward on the right direction.

Heck, i'm sure there can easily a dozend bugs be found in each project, just because people can't even be bothered with reporting back found bugs!

Well.. one can only hope and be happy when some feedback is heard.

On the VistaPE case however we do hear a lot of daily commotion about non-working VistaPE projects, mostly because of bugs that should be fixed and improved as soon as possible.

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:16 AM

On the VistaPE case however we do hear a lot of daily commotion about non-working VistaPE projects, mostly because of bugs that should be fixed and improved as soon as possible.

Yes, one hears about bugs so big that they can't be overlooked, even if one tries, that i doubt in most cases, that the developer does not know of them already, but has problems fixing them.

But one never hears about the small subtile ones, that only emerge after extensive use, which most developers can not do on their own.

Just compare the kind of bugs that are reported for WB to those reported for projects.

For projects it's mostly, help, it's not working (at all).
For Wb it's, feature xxx shows an annoying behaviour, feature xxx should be improved this or that way.

WB has the kind of feedback projects can only dream of!

#7 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:28 AM

All I can say is. I like the idea.

#8 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Although I have not seen many people actually posting fixes to VistaPE. Its mostly reporting of bugs. What could happen however is that people fix bugs and check them in. Nightman is also working on the scripts at the same time and does not check his changes in. So now we have two versions of the scripts and we never know which is the best version.So it will only work if the owners of the projects also use svn for their own changes as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users