5 replies to this topic

#1 clueless blue

clueless blue
  • Deactivated
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

Hello computer gods! I have a HD that i have xp pro installed. But managed to delete or corrupt users logons. I currently have it slaved with a newly installed xp home (this is low "no" budget tech.) All my research leads me to using regedit, as a surefire fix. But that microsoft support assumes im already logged into xp pro. I can access the drive data anyway. But i wouldreally like to recover use of xp pro. Can i access / edit any of the suspect files thru a dos prompt? (Regedit from d:/ pulls up registry for xp home (c:/) as i would suppose it would. Thoughts?

"Living wireless in a wired world"

#2 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

Perhaps try something else: KonBoot, Google it.

Allows you to log in to ANY account without ANY password.  Log on to the administrators account and change the password.  Once on as administrator you can fix / delete the other accounts.

• clueless blue likes this

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

or a password resetter such as Offline NT Password and Registry checker

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

@clueless blue
With all due respect :), "my research leads me to using regedit" is akin to "my research leads me to using a pneumatic hammer", I mean to do WHAT? :w00t:
Post a link to the set of instructions/changes that you need/want to do, and we'll talk (once verified what they are about) how to make them to your "offline" registry.

@All
This is seemingly NOT a case of a lost password, but that of corrupted user/user profiles, tools like the ones mentioned are made for lost passwords and not necessarily will do (and they may even make thing worse), let's first diagnose the problem before proposing cures, OK?  :unsure:

:cheers:
Wonko

• clueless blue likes this

#5 clueless blue

clueless blue
  • Deactivated
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Sorry if i was unclear about the problem, but all is well, a donation of a windows 7 installion disc to this charity case and the reason to recover xp pro is moot. And so is this discussion.

Thank you for recognizing the core problem, Sir Wonko. Before i leave this forum, might i solicit suggestions o a forum dealing with wifi for a pc with no physical connection to access the internet? (Public (library) wifi is mere feet away). And a wannabe tablet has too many limitations.

"Living wireless in a wierd world. Wired even" :frusty:

#6 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

you could have downloaded a copy of the XP Pro, and tried a "repair-install"  this resets some of the dataa, and repairs the rest.

Glad to see you have a working solution.  I don't "get" your suggestion  - is it for a program that can be "run" on a PC that has no physical internet connection and also no wifi adapter in the machine, but there is WIFI in the area?  

AFAIK, to gain access to the HW, you would have to be able to reboot the HW.  *IF* they are smart, they have a locked down HW password and boot sequence, preventing you from booting the machine.  That pretty much limits what you can do.

So you would at least need them to install something like VirtualBox, that can pass thru the USB to the virtual machine, and then create a virtual computer image that can use the USB adapter...

But these are just some random shots in the dark, since it isn't clear what you meant above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xp logon user, regedit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users