#1 Virii

Virii

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hi.

Could someone tell me if it's possible to modify the boot floppy emulation image from a bootable Windows install disc?

I have a Windows 98 SE install disc as a source, and I want to create a modified disc. For instance, I'm adding some specific driver install packages for my PC, possibly adding a unofficial SP, and other specific stuff.

The thing is I have no idea how to modify the autoexec.bat, and config.sys, entries to allow a ramdisk option to be loaded with the disc itself. I could create a external floppy to do this, but that's exactly the point, I would like this option available from the disc (cd-rom) alone.

So far, I've extracted the floppy boot image from the install disc (with ISOBuster), and then I extracted the files from that (using 7-zip).

Would someone be willing to tell me how to do this, or point me in the right direction? What files might I need to create a ramdisk for this (el torito) floppy image (to be used for the boot), and what entries might I need to add?

If I had the files, all I'd need to do is copy & paste, right?

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

I could create a external floppy to do this, but that's exactly the point, I would like this option available from the disc (cd-rom) alone.

Sorry, but I don't get it. :D

If you know what to write in autoexec.bat and config.sys, you can modify (and test thoroughfully) a "real" floppy disc, and all that you are asking is how to replace the el-torito floppy emulation image in the .iso (possible with a commercial tool or with a hex editor) or create a new .iso from scratch using the modified floppy as el-torito boot image.

If you know what to write in autoexec.bat and config.sys, you need to first learn how to do this, than test the floppy (a Virtual Machine, and specifically Qemu is advised for this kind of tests) and finally learn how to modify the existing .iso or create a new one.

In any case the "specific install driver packages" and "Service Packs", and "specific stuff" have nothing to do with the floppy image used for the bootable el-torito floppy emulation.

So my guess is that overall the actual question is :cheers::

How can I create a customized Windows 98 install CD from scratch?

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 Virii

Virii

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:25 AM

While I don't have the know-how to add a ramdisk to a pre-existing configuration, I've discovered an alternative.

Instead of using a ramdisk at all, I was able to create a bootable floppy image with the BFI, and MKBT command line tools. I simply extracted a bootsector from a 1.44MB system floppy, extracted the files from EBD.CAB, created a larger 2.88MB floppy image containing the uncompressed files, and added the bootsector to it.

I no longer have need of a ramdrive, and I didn't have to reconfigure any of the files.

Thanks,
- Virii

#4 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

The trouble with using the 2880k floppy, is that not all BIOSes recognise it. Ye be better by placing some of the larger files on the cdrom, or putting a DOS directory on there with lots of useful stuff.

#5 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

I did one of these, for some time now.

It's best to copy directories as they are on the cdrom, but you can delete stuff from them. Programs that look for certian things expect to find them in certian places, eg MDGX's 98SE2ME utility, or the GMX\MSDOS7 stuff rely on having certian things in the original places. You can add assorted patches etc through the patch directory.

If you're using an upgrade, it's nice to have MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 on the disk as well. It's sort of handy for validation. There's a script around that will add msd0s 6.22 to the boot menu without reboot, as well. It copies stuff across to the directory. (these go to eg WIN31\DOS, WIN31\WIN etc.

You can run any of the setups from a floppy disk. I use a version of MS-DOS 7.1 from SE as the base DOS. You put most of the dos stuff in a directory on the cdrom, and use the MSCDEX /L option to set the drive. In OS/2 tradition, one uses S: for this. Note on install that the cdrom will be set to its default location, so you have to modify the settings through explorer to get s: back.

There's lots of useless junk on the cdrom, the largest file in the win9x directory is simply a movie, which is deletable without halm. If it's useful for private installs to put a selection of setup information files to be used by setup.

P!us installs quite well from any directory, the later OEM version of 95SE has P!us 95 ready to run. Suppose that's something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users