WinBuilder 076

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#51 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

Where to download?

A hotfix release for stable 076 will be published later tonight.

This way we'll have a version that corrects all the bugs that were reported over these last 48 hours.

------------------

I really miss the 'Nightly build' option in your signature, maybe it will return once you've finished rebuilding the nativeEx server??

Instead of using nightly and multiple beta versions, we'll follow MS's example with Windows 7 and only publish one beta release before shipping the stable edition.. :cheers:

-----

On a more serious note, the public testings with the newer winbuilder 077 beta will begin within a few weeks (1~2 weeks) and should give us enough time to decide and prepare new features or bugfixes that are reported in the meanwhile.

-----

We should see a stable winbuilder 078 available within one or two months, the idea is to avoid a big gap of months and betas between stable editions like we saw from 074 to 076 and give more focus on improving wb continuously with each new edition.

B)

#52 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

We should see a stable winbuilder 078 available within one or two months, the idea is to avoid a big gap of months and betas between stable editions like we saw from 074 to 076 and give more focus on improving wb continuously with each new edition.

Hi Nuno,

thats a good idea. Three digit version numbers give plenty room :cheers:

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#53 mustang

mustang

• Advanced user
  • 34 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

RegAddBoot stopped working and broke all my scripts. What happened?

RegAddBoot,HKLM,0x1,"Software\Acronis\TrueImage","workstation",%pTextBox1%

#54 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

RegAddBoot stopped working and broke all my scripts. What happened?

RegAddBoot,HKLM,0x1,"Software\Acronis\TrueImage","workstation",%pTextBox1%

See my answer to a differrent post:

Unfortunatelly my magic crystal ball is out of order today and I cannot tell you why the
error occurred.

I do not even know which project you are trying to build.

Please read the forum's rules, especially how to ask for help.

Peter

#55 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

Seeing all the bugs issues found in the Stable.
I'm bound to believe that, a RC or two before the Stable, in which are only bugs fixed and no new features added, is maybe not such a stupid idea after all. :cheers:

Because Stable is not just another name. It's a condition and a promise.

B)

#56 billonious

billonious

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:curiosity

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

the old wb74 made some parts of code colored, such as the marks in the clipboard below. How can it be enabled in newer wb versions?

Posted Image

#57 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

Seeing all the bugs issues found in the Stable.
I'm bound to believe that, a RC or two before the Stable, in which are only bugs fixed and no new features added, is maybe not such a stupid idea after all. :cheers:

B)

:cheers:

#58 Ove

Ove

.script developer

• .script developer
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hi Ove!

Didn't hear from you since a long time.
What is bad for you is good for me. Here is a real description about issues with the proxy.
Can you please open a bug report with the issue?
Thanks

Peter

Nice to be back too. I am having a tough time with my exams though...
I have seen the bug is already registered, and fixed. I am waiting for the next release to see it work :cheers:

#59 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

the old wb74 made some parts of code colored, such as the marks in the clipboard below. How can it be enabled in newer wb versions?

Posted Image

is the syntax highlighting going to be coming back or was that taken out permanently?

It has been lost anywhen, and wil be back next version.

Peter

#60 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

I'm bound to believe that, a RC or two before the Stable, in which are only bugs fixed and no new features added, is maybe not such a stupid idea after all.

Yes, I completely agree.

This stable was required as soon as possible to solve once for all the current confusion that occurred to users trying out the newer editions of LiveXP and VistaPE that required using 075 beta >5 while 074 was still the stable edition.

Things were getting a bit confusing.

If the updates are done on scheduled basis then I would hope that there isn't much need for an RC since few things should change from one stable to the next.

Perhaps we can send an early message to .script developers some days before the release so that there is a chance of a preview by the experts that allows expressing their thoughts about things missing to be corrected.

Would this be a good idea?

#61 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

Would be one way. But why be so secret?

Beta = were still developing - give suggestions and bug reports
RC = features are frozen - bug reports only
Once an RC does not get any bug reports anymore in a given time it becomes the stable.
Never ever is anything declared stable without being tested.

#62 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

I guess there were many late changes done. E.g. the window resize problem was not present in WinBuilder 075 Beta 5 H yet (the last version I used). So probably one release candidate being announced after so many changes is a good idea.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#63 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

It was necessary to add back support for running winbuilder in unattended mode along with a few other cosmetic changes, it's really a pity that so many bugs still slipped out.

The hotfix should address them in a satisfactory manner. Next time there will be a RC preview available for sure!

Would be one way. But why be so secret?

If it was a secret we wouldn't be discussing it, would we?... :cheers:

The idea is to have less beta versions and plan ahead what to do for the next stable version.

----

My thanks to everyone for all the feedback!

B)

#64 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

There just came one more aspect into my mind. IIRC WinBuilder 075/076 is the first version that was developped by more than one person. This allowed that so many new features could be implemented. And this requires widespread testing.

Thanks for this version
MichaelZ

#65 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

And this requires widespread testing.

Yes, also agree. Let's try to ensure this on the next beta/rc.

-------

The hotfix was uploaded.

- Corrected behavior when no server was available
- Hidden X button on the download center when no project was available
- Small corrections on the footer of log.html
- Fixed bug in AutoSave at winbuilder.ini
- Fixed bug with Enable_RefreshButton in winbuilder.ini
- Fixed bug in System,RescanScripts
- Fixed bug of access violation in Create Script
- Fixed Syntax Highlight in source code editor
- Fixed Proxy support with empty values
- Fixed Maximize window

Please redownload from the same page to get this new binary.

http://winbuilder.ne...oad.php?view.37

Hope you like it.

#66 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:10 AM

Well, here I was all ready to update all my builds to 76[hf] when this thing popped up
imgburnerr.JPG
Attached File  log.zip   2.33KB   418 downloads
everything looks good in ProjectInfo [BootISO=C:\lx76hfcxaf\ISO\LiveXP_RAM.iso], no errors in log and the ISO is there as named. Maybe only happens w/ BootSDI, haven't tried with CreateISO yet. Hopefully an easy fix :cheers:

#67 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hope you like it.

Most certainly B) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Just to stick with the naming of a big software house: Shall I call the old executable WinBuilder076RC.exe or the new one WinBuilder076SE.exe? :cheers:

Many Greetings :cheers:
MichaelZ

P.S. Never used so many emoticons in a post before...

#68 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Well, here I was all ready to update all my builds to 76[hf] when this thing popped up
imgburnerr.JPG
Attached File  log.zip   2.33KB   418 downloads
everything looks good in ProjectInfo [BootISO=C:\lx76hfcxaf\ISO\LiveXP_RAM.iso], no errors in log and the ISO is there as named. Maybe only happens w/ BootSDI, haven't tried with CreateISO yet. Hopefully an easy fix :cheers:

The bug-catcher is working again B)
After we have solved your WBVerify issue, you again present a voodoo like issue.

I'm rather sure that it does not depend on WB directly, but maybe on something in the pre-burniso build, which is done by WB a bit different than before.

Let's go to search!

Peter

#69 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

I'm rather sure that it does not depend on WB directly, but maybe on something in the pre-burniso build, which is done by WB a bit different than before.

It IS a WB issue!

ExtractAndRun,"%ScriptFile%","Folder","ImgBurn.exe","%pTextBox1%"
pTextBox1="Command line Switches",1,0,13,104,427,18,"/MODE ISOWRITE /BUILDMODE IMAGEFILE /SRC %burnISO%"

In ExtractAndRun %pTextBox1% content %burnISO% is not resolved.

Peter

EDIT: Fixed!

Edited by psc, 05 February 2009 - 08:53 AM.

#70 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:20 AM

EDIT: Fixed!

So another hotfix?

#71 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

So another hotfix?

eheh.. we aim to please and another hotfix sounds necessary.. :cheers:

Just to stick with the naming of a big software house: Shall I call the old executable WinBuilder076RC.exe or the new one WinBuilder076SE.exe?

Neither, I'd vote to call this version as winbuilder 076 SP1.. B)

#72 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

Sounds like we're on our way to WB076TE. :cheers:
But SP which one needs to apply to the original WB would also be a fun idea! B)

#73 billonious

billonious

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:curiosity

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

download center (of livexp) still downloads v. 75b6c

#74 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

download center (of livexp) still downloads v. 75b6c

In post #38 of this thread Lancelot states that WinBuilder 075 Beta 6 is the latest authorized version for the LiveXP project.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#75 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

Yes, I completely agree.

This stable was required as soon as possible to solve once for all the current confusion that occurred to users trying out the newer editions of LiveXP and VistaPE that required using 075 beta >5 while 074 was still the stable edition.

Things were getting a bit confusing.

If the updates are done on scheduled basis then I would hope that there isn't much need for an RC since few things should change from one stable to the next.

Perhaps we can send an early message to .script developers some days before the release so that there is a chance of a preview by the experts that allows expressing their thoughts about things missing to be corrected.

Would this be a good idea?

Yep, the idea of solving confusion, is to actually reduce it, NOT augmenting it releasing a stable that has been fixed at least twice in a few days.

The "wrong" attitude, if I may B), was to confuse "beta-testers" and "beta-releases" with "everyone" and "nightbuilds" or ALPHA testing.

Moreover I see that sometimes "bugs reports" and "features" are mixed.

I know I'll be probably be flamed for this, but I see a "pattern":
  • a bug is reported - often a very minor one
  • psc, willing to help, fixes it as soon as he can - sometimes this, of course unwantingly - creates a new bug
  • another user posts about the bug he got in the supposedly fixed "nightbuild", unpropeerly called beta (as it should be called ALPHA-ALPHA)
  • psc again tries to fix the "other" reported bug and creates a new "beta"
  • some user asks for or suggests a (usually very interesting) feature
  • psc again introduces it as soon as he can
  • a number of users, to avoid keeping track of the "which is the latest build", stick to the last "known to be working for them" version, waiting for the next "stable"
  • only when the next "stable" is out, they test it and then a number of bugs that were overlooked due to scarce testing in the "beta" stage, which as said was actually an ALPHA one come out
  • psc is "forced" to fix the "stable", thus making it a "non-stable" and actually adding to the confusion

In other words, it is my opinion that an improper procedure takes place and that paradoxically the incredible amount of time and willingness that peter (and other people) puts into development and bug reporting :cheers: actually increases the confusion. :cheers:

The "proper" way in projects (not necessarily software ones, same principles apply to other fields as well) should be, more or less structured as follows:
  • establish a "roadmap" AND a "timetable" for next "stable" release and intermediate alpha's beta's and RC's (of course NOT mandatory, but reasonable and "possible")
  • the "roadmap" declares in advance which features are wanted/needed and will be introduced
  • the timetable describes when they will be implemented
  • a term is also given for the "freeze" and the "call for papers" (i.e. deadline for feature requests or contributions)
  • NO "new" feature is added if not within the accepted roadmap, contributions and requested features are "shifted" to NEXT iteration
  • once the "freeze" has taken place, and ALPHA has already been tested by the very restrict circle of developers, a "beta" is given to a still restricted group, the "beta testers"
  • once bugs reports from these people ONLY are fixed, a "Release Candidate" is published, and the "general public" is called to do some more testing, the RC has as well a term for submitting bugs
  • ONLY reported bugs specific to the RC are fixed, and a new RC is issued and a new term is given for bugs report
  • when there are no more bugs reported within the RC term, latest RC without any change is released as "stable" and the process loops back from start

jaclaz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users