Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 905 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

Everyone STOP!

Arguing doesn't make anything better.
We have to realize that Nuno will take the last decision and that we don't need attack to each other. We are trying to find what's better for winbuilder and not for us!

To sum up, we have four choises right now:
  • Continue as we are right now. Everyone suggests things and Nuno must implement or fix it when and if he can.
  • Nuno will just send some parts of the code to some developers to fix or implement things.
  • Nuno will share the code with some developers that he choose. They will be the only people that will have access to the source and winbuilder will remain freeware.
  • In this choise winbuilder will become opensource letting everyone help and access the source code.
In every choise, Nuno will remain the leader developer which means that he will decide what is going to be implemented/changed.

In my opinion the best solution for Winbuilder is to make it opensource. This will make developement really fast, will make winbuilder a superrior tool and finally we will see many exotic things in winbuilder.

However the best choise for this comunity whould be no3. It will satisfy all the developers that want to help and Nuno as he will still have full control of this project.

John

#52 Draugen

Draugen

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:14 AM

@phox: I commend your valiant defense of Nuno. It is, however, not neccesary. Nobody is targetting Nuno personally!. The community that has sprung up around winbuilder wants the best WB possible, and are willing to help Nuno reach that goal. This discussion is merely an expression of our concerns.

And while you are right that it is Nuno who ultimately decides what he codes and how, this site and its community does not have infinite patience. The replies so far indicate there is a great deal of support for any kind of maintainer pooling on the WB codebase - there are things that need to be done and ppl willing to do them. I say this a lot in this thread, but by His Noodly Appendages! what could possibly be lost by letting them!

Personally, i prefer the GPL/osi way. It creates a significantly lower barrier for entry if any wandering l33t hackers wantet to take a look and lend a hand. And, IMHO, this would be best for the community (from my perspective).

// martin

#53 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:50 AM

@phox: I commend your valiant defense of Nuno. It is, however, not neccesary. Nobody is targetting Nuno personally!. The community that has sprung up around winbuilder wants the best WB possible, and are willing to help Nuno reach that goal. This discussion is merely an expression of our concerns.

Do not lower this discussion to the personal level, please!
Nuno does not need any kind of defense: especially not from me.

See the post No 45 on this thread!

And while you are right that it is Nuno who ultimately decides what he codes and how, this site and its community does not have infinite patience. The replies so far indicate there is a great deal of support for any kind of maintainer pooling on the WB codebase - there are things that need to be done and ppl willing to do them. I say this a lot in this thread, but by His Noodly Appendages! what could possibly be lost by letting them!

Concerning “infinite patience”, see the post No 49!

Personally, i prefer the GPL/osi way. It creates a significantly lower barrier for entry if any wandering l33t hackers wantet to take a look and lend a hand. And, IMHO, this would be best for the community (from my perspective).

// martin

To end this discussion (from my side):

1. Professionally, I am the last person to participate in it, but
2. Commanding tone in some posts prompt me to react and
3. I hope that majority of Forum membership has understand me.

Kind regards.

#54 unbekannt

unbekannt

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

Hi,

I would just say that there is a spelling mistake in the WB-language file.

Here it is:

Extracting acrhive with 7zip.

Just two letters and it isn't important for the others and me but it is also not much work to correct them.

#55 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

We need some patience. Nuno should almost be back from his studies and hopefully he can catch up with some of these discussions.

#56 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

As I see it the current version of winbuilder does what it was designed to do - create versions of XP, 2003, Vista that boot from CD/ hard drive / USB drive. We can all find things in the UI that we don't like however they don't stop winbuilder doing the job Nuno designed it to do. Its not limited by the UI or the scripting language. You only have to look at what is current available to realize that it is capable of doing everything a script developer desires it to do. One thing for sure it is light years ahead of pebuilder.

#57 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

To add to what I've already suggested here: http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=26479

I'd like an internal way of trimming strings in WB, eg two new commands along the lines of something like: 'StrFormat,TrimLeft,[string],[length],%var%' and 'StrFormat,TrimRight,[string],[length],%var%'.

This would provide an easy way to get rid of trailing slashes when needed:
StrFormat,TrimRight,"string\",1,%var%
The string "string\" would be returned in %var% as "string".

Regards,
Galapo.

#58 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:04 AM

Agree with galapo
StrTrim,Right,[string],[length],%VarResult%

StrTrim,Left,[string],[length],%VarResult%

#59 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

Agree with galapo

Me too.
In many scripts I have to look for either the original file or the compressed version.

Currently I solve this e.g. ... file.DL,L
and later with #1#2 and #1_ resp.

But that does not look nice and the way is rather complicated.

Peter

#60 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

Sounds like a good suggestion, I've added it on the bug tracker so that it be forgotten when the beta development starts.

http://www.boot-land...?...&showbug=34

Regarding the version display, it was fairly quick to write and I've already added it this last weekend.

:)

#61 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

Regarding the version display, it was fairly quick to write and I've already added it this last weekend.

Thank you indeed. That's really helpful to me for keeping track of things. Is there a link to the executable yet?

Thanks,
Galapo.

#62 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

Testings should begin within the next days up to the next 2 weeks until the first beta arrives (non-latin time measure) when some "heavier" changes be made on the script engine.

Will also be looking on the bugtracker to solve some of the requests there.

#63 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:00 AM

Ok, sure: I'll stay tuned.

Thanks indeed for your work which benefits us all!

Thanks,
Galapo.

#64 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:38 PM

Another suggestion: could the version of the WB executable be written to the log when it is generated? It seems there are older versions being used by some newcomers (where on earth are they getting these?) which may be introducing issues, so if the version can be identified quickly it may help.

Thanks,
Galapo.

EDIT: I see that it is already there if viewing the html source: <meta content="WinBuilder [074]". Perhaps, then, it could be altered to visibility?
EDIT#2: I finally see I've been looking in the wrong place and the data is displayed in the "title"!

#65 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:33 AM

Given my experience in dealing with the issues raised here, ie where I newcomer has inadvertently(?) selected a script which should not really be selected unless one really knows its function, it seems good to suggest some sort of differentiation between a "basic" interface and an "advanced" interface. On the "basic" interface, scripts marked 'interface=advanced' (or whatever is appropriate etc.) would not display (and may not even be allowed to run?) under the "basic" interface.

Regards,
Galapo.

#66 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:44 AM

Hmm.. I see what you mean.

Sometimes it very difficult to explain something that seems so easy at a first glance but for a new user looks like something out of this world.

Let's talk about it soon.

#67 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:35 AM

Let's talk about it soon.

That's fine: it's just a suggestion. I have some recollection that someone else had an idea along these lines a few months ago also. Perhaps it was MedEvil?

Regards,
Galapo.

#68 MadWoodsman

MadWoodsman
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

When I download the latest stable version (074) and try to build an ISO I get the following errors...

"Build Model needs at least version 075 of WinBuilder"
"InfSupport needs at least version 075 of WinBuilder"

I am not sure where to get the older versions of Build Model or InfSupport, but would expect the download module would download the appropriate versions of these scripts.

I did try the beta (075) and it does work, but I think most new folks (like me) are more likely to gravitate to the stable version and will likely encounter this problem.

- MadWoodsman

#69 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

When I download the latest stable version (074) and try to build an ISO I get the following errors...

"InfSupport needs at least version 075 of WinBuilder"

I am not sure where to get the older versions of Build Model or InfSupport, but would expect the download module would download the appropriate versions of these scripts.

I did try the beta (075) and it does work, but I think most new folks (like me) are more likely to gravitate to the stable version and will likely encounter this problem.

- MadWoodsman

I think here Galapo has been a bit to fast and copied the latest nativeEx_Core experimental buildModel.Script to the LiveXP server.

There should be version 054 and this will remain in the future (I'm going to replace this 055 on the nativeEx server by 054, too).

Infsupport makes sence to run with WinBuilder 075 and later only, because only 075 beta 2 and later can process BartPE plugins and for this task it needs InfSupport.Script.

Sorry for your inconvenience!

Peter

BTW: if you need buildModel.Script version 054, I attach it.

Attached File  BuildModel.zip   154.4KB   414 downloads

#70 MadWoodsman

MadWoodsman
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:21 PM

I think here Galapo has been a bit to fast and copied the latest nativeEx_Core experimental buildModel.Script to the LiveXP server.

There should be version 054 and this will remain in the future (I'm going to replace this 055 on the nativeEx server by 054, too).

Infsupport makes sence to run with WinBuilder 075 and later only, because only 075 beta 2 and later can process BartPE plugins and for this task it needs InfSupport.Script.

Sorry for your inconvenience!

Peter

BTW: if you need buildModel.Script version 054, I attach it.

Attached File  BuildModel.zip   154.4KB   414 downloads

Thanks, that got me past the BuildModel error. I didn't notice the InfSupport error until I had another go at it this morning, so I hadn't tried to work around that one yet. I tried to exclude the BuildModel script, but as you are probably fully aware that script isn't optional ;)

- MadWoodsman

#71 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:00 PM

I tried to exclude the BuildModel script, but as you are probably fully aware that script isn't optional ;)

Thnks for the hidden hint! :thumbup:
I think I have to publish a small tutorial about nativeEx idea and which scripts bring the idea to a running object.

EDIT: Maybe Amalux, Ispy or others can take this job away from me?

Peter

#72 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

Yep, seems I was a bit too hasty. I try as much as possible to keep LiveXP up-to-date with nativeEx and copied the new scripts across when they became available.

I've reverted back to 054 of the buildModel script on the LiveXP server.

Regards,
Galapo.

#73 rickmattar

rickmattar
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

Olá alguém poderia me ajudar? desculpe ressuscitar o tópico e falar em português, mais to meio disisperado aqui.
Sou novato no winbluider, sigo todos os tutoriais, mais sempre dão erros ao fazer uma imagem do XP live como essa
Generated by psc program 'WBVerify' version 2.2.0
Date: 2008-set-27 12:02:48

[Counts]
Missing=0
Obsolete=0
Errors=1
Warnings=0

Errors:

E as vezes da erro de script nos programas que estão sendo adicionados.
Estou executando pelo C:\winbuilder e as fontes estão em D:\winxp e D:\win2003
Algum brasileiro ou português poderia me ajudar?
Grato

#74 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

Errors:

Get version 075:
http://winbuilder.ne...oad.php?list.12

jaclaz

#75 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

Olá.

Algum brasileiro ou português poderia me ajudar?

Um açoreano serve? :huh:

Como o Jaclaz referiu - tens de usar a versão 075 no link que foi mencionado porque tem funções que só foram adicionadas na última versão beta que alguns projectos como o LiveXP estão a usar.

--

A nossa língua de trabalho no fórum é o Inglês mas se precisares de ajuda em Português podes escrever todas as dúvidas na secção de língua portuguesa que terei todo o gosto em ajudar até que consigas ter sucesso.

http://www.boot-land...s/?showforum=47

:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users