WinBuilder 081 - Bug hunting season

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

Hello,

I would like to announce the official grand opening of the WinBuilder 081 bug hunting season.

You are invited to try out the new WinBuilder 081 and let us know your opinion.

Since time is short and we don't want to introduce new bugs, we are not looking to add new features but rather find and fix defects.

For example:
- Verify if projects running with version 080 also run with version 081
- Verify if defects in the User Interface reported before were corrected
- And so on..

You can grab these beta versions at: http://nativeex.exec...ads/WinBuilder/

Each beta follows the YYMMDD numbering, representing the year, month and day. You can use the most recent one, we will update this thread whenever a new beta release is available.

Hope you have fun and thank you for helping!

;)

#2 plao

plao
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

Nice work, Nuno!!!

#3 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

Hi Nuno,

can I run scripts under directory of WinBuilder? It doesn't work.

Posted Image

Thanks

#4 littlepoor

littlepoor

• Advanced user
  • 52 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

CommandLine
Winbuilder.exe /run=.\Projects\Win7PE
Access violation at address 0058f807 in module 'Winbuilder.exe'. Read of Address 00000688.
OK
" is not a valid integer value.
OK

After that loading the projectbrowser without starting the buildprocess.
(WindowsXP64bit)

#5 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

• the log loads much faster now that the icons are on the local system!!! ;) Probably the "No Icon Download" option could be removed from the preferences now?
  • also bold text no longer shows up bold on the script interface, but it shows up bold in the interface editor correctly.

#6 Shibby

Shibby

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Rule the e-world
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

Couldnt make it run on Windows 7 x86 with SP 1. Fully updated.
After the 1st run, it asked if i was ok knowing it is beta, and i clicked yes.
Then it closed, and i can't make it run.

It generated the winbuilder_xxxxxversion.ini and the folder project with the lenguage default.

No luck on 1st run.. gotta w8 to try again

#7 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:55 AM

Did you choose run as administrator? Easiest way is to set 'Run this program as an Administrator' via the file properties / compatibility tab in explorer

#8 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:57 AM

Couldnt make it run on Windows 7 x86 with SP 1. Fully updated.

I don't have a problem to start WinBuilder 081 Beta 110509 on my system:
Windows 7 SP1 x86 German, fully updated.

On my system there is even UAC enabled at highest level. And since ages I don't have a problem with it, so I guess the warning about it at the start of WinBuilder could be removed.

Probably the build date of WinBuilder could be added to 081 Beta in the title bar?

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#9 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:00 AM

Did you choose run as administrator? Easiest way is to set 'Run this program as an Administrator' via the file properties / compatibility tab in explorer

From my experience this is not necessary. Nuno or Peter must have set a flag in the PE header that administrative rights are required and so the Windows 7 image loader (and iirc Vista too) automatically prompts to get the elevated integrity level.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#10 DoubleF

DoubleF
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

Hello

I just tried Winbuilder on a Windows 2000 system.
Unfortunately it did not start because of JUST ONLY ONE API.

The problem resides in the fact that Winbuilder.exe can't be loaded because it calls the following API 'GetNativeSystemInfo' which is not implemented in Kernel32.dll (version 5.0.2195.7135) of Windows 2000 Pro SP4 with all MS updates installed.

But it is possible on that system to use the equivalent API 'GetSystemInfo' wich does exactly the same.

So I suggest to check the presence of 'GetNativeSystemInfo' by calling
1) LoadLibrary of Kernel32.dll and 2) GetProcAddress of GetNativeSystemInfo

and if not available (meaning Windows 2K or previous), then make use of 'GetSystemInfo'.

Hoping it will help to make this very good program working on Win2K.

By the way, do not hesitate to ask me to test your program on Windows NT4 or 2000.
I always have a PC double booting these 2 old OS for test purpose.

Thanks and regards from Waterloo (Belgium).
François.

#11 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

just tried Winbuilder on a Windows 2000 system.

Come on DoubleF, support has ended even for enterprise customers for Windows 2000 Server :cheers:

Time to think about not supporting those 'stone age' systems as application developper, too? :dubbio:

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

Come on DoubleF, support has ended even for enterprise customers for Windows 2000 Server :(

Time to think about not supporting those 'stone age' systems as application developper, too? :cheers:

Well, if all the problem is changing a single call to a "stoopid" .dll WHAT is the problem? :dubbio:

Comeon, be tolerant with people that might not want (or can afford) to follow the latest OS hype.

If it costs nothing (or next to nothing) to keep compatibility with 2K, why removing it almost "on purpose"?

BTW, IMHO same applies to WIn9x support:
http://reboot.pro/10373/

:cheers:
Wonko

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

The code DoubleF suggests, is already in WB:
if isWow64 = cTrue then

begin

log.trace('GetNativeSysemInfo used, because WinBuilder is running under Wow64');

GetNativeSystemInfo(SysInfo);

end

else

begin

log.trace('GetSystemInfo used, because WinBuilder is not running under Wow64');

GetSystemInfo(SysInfo);

end;

GetNativeSystemInfo should be used only when running an x64 OS.
Here seems to be a bug that in W2000 isWow64 becomes true.

Thanks, DoubleF for the report. I'll try to fix in next beta version.

EDIT: I found it: Under W2000 is IsWow64 = 'Error'. Bat that is not 'cTrue'. I have no opinion why WB uses the 'cTrue' part.

Peter

#14 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

Unless you are delay loading the kernel32 dll GetNativeSystemInfo api ( automatic way to do LoadLibrary / GetProcAddress ) then just because you don't call GetNativeSystemInfo it does not remove the load time dependency on the GetNativeSystemInfo api.

Windows at load time needs to be able to fixup the addresses of all explicitly imported windows api functions.

#15 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Unless you are delay loading the kernel32 dll GetNativeSystemInfo api ( automatic way to do LoadLibrary / GetProcAddress ) then just because you don't call GetNativeSystemInfo it does not remove the load time dependency on the GetNativeSystemInfo api.

Windows at load time needs to be able to fixup the addresses of all explicitly imported windows api functions.

Sorry, my bad English! I do not understand what you want to tell us. Maybe somebody can post here a German explanation or PM me.

Peter

#16 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

GetNativeSystemInfo api is only available on windows xp or later. If you want to call the api it must be called by a LoadLibrary("kernel32.dll") and GetProcAddress("GetNativeSystemInfo",<handlefromloadlibrary>). That way you remove the load time dependency on GetNativeSystemInfo and you can detect at runtime that the api does not exist - GetProcAddress returns NULL.

Some compilers / linkers ( MS ones ) provide a feature called delay loading which does the same thing automatically.

#17 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

GetNativeSystemInfo api is only available on windows xp or later. If you want to call the api it must be called by a LoadLibrary("kernel32.dll") and GetProcAddress("GetNativeSystemInfo",<handlefromloadlibrary>). That way you remove the load time dependency on GetNativeSystemInfo and you can detect at runtime that the api does not exist - GetProcAddress returns NULL.

Some compilers / linkers ( MS ones ) provide a feature called delay loading which does the same thing automatically.

Thanks! Now I understood!

Peter

#18 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

with winbuilder 81.0.1.195 and latest win7pe_se ( 2011-5-16 ) project I see an access violation at addresss 005a0a10 reported by winbuilder when I click 2 of the scripts in Finalize ( PostConfig and Save Log File ).

#19 oopsboy

oopsboy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

I would like to have a suggestion on some addon features for Winbuilder. I usually having problem to understand scripts include in various project. Would like each project has a wiki site, and each script would include a link to wiki topic. Suggested implementation:
1. Include a variable in project.ini as WIKI root.
2. Include a variable in script's ] section as relative/absolute url to the wiki.

#20 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

with winbuilder 81.0.1.195 and latest win7pe_se ( 2011-5-16 ) project I see an access violation at addresss 005a0a10 reported by winbuilder when I click 2 of the scripts in Finalize ( PostConfig and Save Log File ).

Just on the second click?

Peter

#21 larioteo

larioteo

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

A new maybe usefull function required.

Parsing XML files

I got also a bug like paraglider, i editet a script (PreConfig) of Win7PE_SEtiny and after pressing the x after i was done to save everything the script was completly deleted after all only the rows where as before, but everything was lost.

I have saved my scripts before it crashed, i am making always a shadow copy of the files before editing it.
Maybe someone has the same issue

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Parsing XML files

I got also a bug like paraglider, i editet a script (PreConfig) of Win7PE_SEtiny and after pressing the x after i was done to save everything the script was completly deleted after all only the rows where as before, but everything was lost.

I have saved my scripts before it crashed, i am making always a shadow copy of the files before editing it.
Maybe someone has the same issue

I do not understand what happened. Please PM me in German, that makes it easier for two "Bad-English-Experts"

Peter

#23 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:13 AM

Exception is reported on first left button click to select script to view interface. Also happens if you use the little blue arrow to move to the script

#24 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:34 AM

Parsing XML files

Please propose new features at this forum section: http://reboot.pro/forum/99/

For the moment our goal is to find and correct defects in the existent functions before this month is over.

New features can be discussed afterwards, thank you for suggesting in either case.

:)

#25 larioteo

larioteo

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:17 AM

ok it would be a nice feature, xml are today everywhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users