wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

Other question: in startnet.cmd, it seems that there could be some possible optimizations.

My Old code:

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\Win7PE.cd  Start %%i:\Programs\bsexplorer\explorer.exe

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\Win7PE.cd  Start %%i:\totalcmd.cmd

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\Win7PE.cd  Start %%i:\Programs\PStart\PStart.exe

Proposed new code:
FOR %%i IN (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) DO (

if exist %%i:\Win7PE.cd ( 

Start %%i:\Programs\bsexplorer\explorer.exe

Start %%i:\totalcmd.cmd

Start %%i:\Programs\PStart\PStart.exe

goto _exitfor

)

)

:_exitfor

The new code uses a tag file and quits the loop as soon as match is found, and avoids n times loop if there are n applications to be started.

The idea of Portable Applications is that PStart or folder U_XP_SET is not part of the build ISO Boot Image,
it is just a folder found in root of any drive: HDD or USB-stick
In that case PStart should not be searched for in Programs and I miss the search for U_XP_SET ..... :cheers:

#27 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

I tried to integrate Imdisk (instead of executing imdiskinst.exe after boot time). I have BartPE imdisk.inf plug-in that I convert to reg file (using inf2reg), then call regedt32 /s imdisk.reg inside startnet.cmd. But then there is no right click contextual menu, although the sys/exe/cpl are well copied from :
PE3_mod\PE3_add\x86\Windows\System32\
PE3_mod\PE3_add\x86\Windows\System32\drivers\

Besides, it seems for me that services will not start as is after modfying the registry.
So it would also be a problem for other plugins that need both registry changes and services started (like Easeus Partition Manager, Acronis True Image...).

Is there a way to integrate the registry changes into the hive, so it will be taken much earlier than at startnet.cmd execution time? In fact I am trying to get both advantages of full Win7RescuePE and PE3.

Note: there is an utility that can convert inf file to hive.

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

If I may, wouldn't this be more logical? :cheers:

FOR %%? IN (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) DO if exist %%?:\Win7PE.cd SET MyDriveLetter=%%?&GOTO :Next

:Next

FOR %%? IN (

\Programs\bsexplorer\explorer.exe

\totalcmd.cmd

\Programs\PStart\PStart.exe

) DO Start %MyDriveLetter%%%?

Wonko

#29 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

I just realized to include BS Explorer and MMC Disk Management. :cheers:

The Windows PE 3.0 ISO is now 166 MB :cheers:

and is booting in 35 sec from GRUB4DOS Menu on HDD into RAMDISK.

@ktp
For ImDisk it will be needed to add more registry entries at build time I suppose.
Install ImDisk in Running Windows 3.0 is quite simple and is proven to work well for context menu.

More Info:
http://www.911cd.net...o...21883&st=35
=

Windows PE 3.0 with Disk Management and BS Explorer + PStart Menu
=
Posted Image
=

#30 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

@wimb

Adding Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc
to the file:
\PE3_mod\WIN7_add\x86\WIN7_add_files.txt
did get diskmgmt.msc but .msc extension is not recognized.
How did you manage to get MMC Disk Management to work? Will an updated version of your batch file be available?

#31 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Some :cheers: :cheers:

:rofl:

Is this useful for PE 1.xx ? :cheers:
http://www.911cd.net...o...c=23656&hl=

:rofl:

Wonko

#32 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:48 PM

How did you manage to get MMC Disk Management to work? Will an updated version of your batch file be available?

It involves adding some more files and some extra registry entries ....

An Updated version of the batch is in preparation .....

:cheers:

#33 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Is this useful for PE 1.xx ? :cheers:
http://www.911cd.net...o...c=23656&hl=

Yes, I think this is certainly interesting for PE 1.xx

There is a lot to learn from his contribution,

but for PE 3.0 the Wireless Zero Configuration does not apply.

Nevertheless, it is very interesting.

#34 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

**** Update of Batch Program Make_PE3.cmd *****

Create Windows PE 3.0 + GUI ISO Boot Image which launches PStart Menu for Portable Programs.

As source is used AIK for Windows 7 and additional files and registry entries from Installed Windows 7 OS.

Download - Make-PE3 - mirror

More Info:

=

User Interface of Make_PE3.cmd Batch Program
=
Posted Image
=

Windows PE 3.0 + GUI with Wireless Internet and PStart Menu for Portable Programs
=
Posted Image
=

#35 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:39 AM

@wimb

I tried the updated batch file and had serious problems.

1) After boot, first thing I run is PENework, but I got an error popup dialog:

An error occured while starting the "TCP/IP Registry Compatibility" service (2)

2) Menu System/Disk management or System/Management Console did not work, nothing is displayed.

Other questions:
- The steps 0), 1) and Q) are clear for me.
- Steps 2), 3) and 4) are confusing.
- 3) and 4) seem to be used for build. What are their differences, and differences with step 2)?

#36 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:57 AM

Disk Management works, but you have to wait a bit longer until Virtual Disk Service is ready.

Management Console was not yet working, but is for me now by adding more registry entries.

The error with PENetwork is unknown to me, never occurred here.
Try again, for PENetwork nothing was changed.

Step 2 is useful to collect just the needed Windows 7 files on other computer with Windows 7 installed as OS.
In that case the AIK Tools are not yet needed.

Then you can run on your own computer Make_PE3.cmd again and direct select option 4
since you don't need to collect the Windows 7 files, they are ready for use in WIN7_add\x86 folder.
This strategy is quite useful when your workstation has not Windows 7 as OS installed.

Option 3 is for normal use when you have computer with AIK installed and Windows 7 installed as OS.
Option 3 is in fact Option 2 + Option 4

2 - Windows 7 OS required as Source to collect files, AIK not yet needed
3 - Windows 7 required as source and AIK tools needed to make pe3.iso
4 - Use the already collected Windows 7 files and AIK tools to make pe3.iso

#37 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

The error with PENetwork is unknown to me, never occurred here.
Try again, for PENetwork nothing was changed.

I confirm the problem, both under VMWare and real machines. PENetwork itself was unchanged, but probably some registry changes or files/build change? I have to go back to older version that works for me :-(.

If you need extra debug data, please let me know.

#38 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

Update: sorry for the false problem report. I tested again and no more error message.
The problem was due probably to the (still) confusing options 2), 3) and 4). I believe I used 4) first which has problem. Now I only use 3) and it works. The disk management works well.

Thank you.

Edit: by the way, the renaming of pe3-N.iso is annoying. I would prefer keeping unique name pe3.iso: if I want a backup, I will do so before running the batch file. The renaming causes me trouble in Vmware virtutal CD (iso file name change), and change when I copy to real USB key after test (+ menu.lst use hard-coded pe3.iso).

#39 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

i have tried to build using only the 'Option 3' method
and no problem here
everything works fine!
(i mean PENetwork, MMC snap-in, file sharing)

Many thanks for this nice batch!

#40 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:29 AM

Make_PE3.cmd was Updated to fix Computer Management Console using extra Registry entries.

Update Batch Program Make_PE3.cmd to create Windows PE 3.0 ISO Boot Image.

As source is used AIK for Windows 7 and additional files and registry entries from Installed Windows 7 OS.

More Info:

=

#41 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

MMC is now OK, but Services shows nothing. If it works, then we no longer need serviwin.

#42 rocketero

rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

Make_PE3.cmd was Updated to fix Computer Management Console using extra Registry entries.

Update Batch Program Make_PE3.cmd to create Windows PE 3.0 ISO Boot Image.

More Info:

=

I got not idea what is going on, I downloaded the Make-PE3 file, run it, and after it unpacked all files I run the executable. I am running windows 7 x86 and have AIK in regular location. After I run the file it created an ISO file (I selected option 3), and the Iso is around 130 MB, I booted it with vmware and all I get after booting is a black MSDOS window with a command prompt, all I can do is DIR and some commands, and typing 'exit' just reboots the PE. It looks pretty much like the PE that MS windows allows and basically has nothing much in it. I get drives X: and D: (the CD)

#43 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

MMC is now OK, but Services shows nothing. If it works, then we no longer need serviwin.

Click in Services at the bottom on Standard Tab will show the Services :smiling9:

ServiWin has the advantage of using colors, so that Stopped Services which should be running show up in pink color.
ServiWin is a very small App, so no problem.

#44 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

but Services shows nothing

choose 'Standard' tab (in the bottom of the window)

for me at build time importing the 'PE3-SOFTWARE_CL_MMC.reg' returns with error message:
ERROR: Error accessing the registry.
nevertheless seems the MMC works in the booted PE

#45 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

Click in Services at the bottom on Standard Tab will show the Services :smiling9:

ServiWin has the advantage of using colors, so that Stopped Services which should be running show up in pink color.
ServiWin is a very small App, so no problem.

It would be then preferable to set the Standard Tab as the default for Services.

#46 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

After I run the file it created an ISO file (I selected option 3), and the Iso is around 130 MB, I booted it with vmware and all I get after booting is a black MSDOS window with a command prompt

Strange, your ISO is too small, it should be around 170 MB
It seems like the PE3_mod\PE3_add\Common\Program Files are not copied to mount folder to build the ISO.
It seems like instead of winpeshl.ini to launch PEShell that only startnet is executed.

Try to run again.
Use Make_USB.exe to create bootable USB-stick with pe3-n.iso boot option in GRUB4DOS menu
Or use BOOT_IMG.exe to make GRUB4DOS boot option on HDD.
Copy also PStart or U_XP_SET folder for PStart Menu with Portable Programs to root of your drive.

#47 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

It would be then preferable to set the Standard Tab as the default for Services.

Ok, but where can I make it change ?

Does anybody know how to combine in BS Explorer a RefreshDesktop with command for Change of Wallpaper ? Now I have to manually click on RefreshDesktop after changing wallpaper.

#48 rocketero

rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:38 PM

Strange, your ISO is too small, it should be around 170 MB
It seems like the PE3_mod\PE3_add\Common\Program Files are not copied to mount folder to build the ISO.
It seems like instead of winpeshl.ini to launch PEShell that only startnet is executed.

Try to run again.
Use Make_USB.exe to create bootable USB-stick with pe3-n.iso boot option in GRUB4DOS menu
Or use BOOT_IMG.exe to make GRUB4DOS boot option on HDD.
Copy also PStart or U_XP_SET folder for PStart Menu with Portable Programs to root of your drive.

I just figure it out, the *.cmd script has to be run as administrator, at least under windows 7.
while the script was running I saw some quick messages scrolling saying something about needing some escalated privileges.

So, before the script didn't run as it should and created an ISO of 138 MB and this was what I was seen:

Posted Image

so you can imagine how depressed I was.

after running the script with admin privileges, the script run completely and the size is 172 MB

and I was surprise that all the portable apps run smoothly and because the footprint is so small I have more memory available to open more apps.

Great job.!

I have a question about the BOOT_IMG.exe. when I open it reads something about i386\system32, but that's more like windows XP, Windows 7 does not have folder i386. So what is that utility for?

here is a nice screenshot of your script with a lot of portable apps running:

Posted Image

#49 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

I just figure it out, the *.cmd script has to be run as administrator, at least under windows 7.

Run Make_PE3.cmd as Administrator in Windows 7 or set User Account Control Off

Yes, that is mentioned in the first lines in the Opening Window of Make_PE3.cmd :cheers:

More Info in Manual:

Good to see your screenshot with a lot of Portable Programs running. :smiling9:

BOOT_IMG.exe is of general use to Install various types of IMG or ISO Boot Image files
in GRUB4DOS Menu for Windows 7 or XP OS.

The Info on i386 that you refer to is meant for BartPE or LiveXP Boot Image files.

More Info http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=21883

#50 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

@wimb

You know how I love "aggressive user interfaces", ideally there should be a hand coming out of the display slapping the user hard in the face and SHOUTING "You dumb a** you MUST run this as Administrator", RTFM! :cheers:

Short of the above is there anyway to STOP the execution of the program if run NOT as Admin and display a polite message like:"It seems like you are not running this program with Administrator credentials, program execution STOPped, please try again running as Admin? :smiling9:

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users