TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4186 posts

Posted A day ago

Rufus mentioned at
5:24

https://youtu.be/S9gQ4His98c

In order for someone to use the iso downloader, they need to allow updates when running Rufus. Otherwise there will be no options shown to download. Took awhile to read thru some people reporting this on another site and getting it to work.

#77 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 357 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted A day ago

Yeah, the reason for that is that in order to download ISOs, Rufus downloads and runs a remote PowerShell script, and we consider that someone who chose not to enable Rufus to connect to the Internet to check for updates is very unlikely to want to have the application to connect to the Internet and run a script (NB: For those wondering how we secure this remote execution against malicious attacks, please see our Security Note about it).

In short, if you choose not to trust Rufus with updates (which are designed not to be in your face and can be set to be ran at a frequency of your choosing, so please don't serve me the "Oh but I only disable the check for updates because I don't want to be pestered by it"), it makes sense to consider that you choose not to trust the application to execute a remote script.

Oh, and I should also mention that there is a FAQ entry about this very topic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rufus

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users