paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:07 AM

NightMan,

Can you name the beta project VistaPE(Beta) so I can have both the version 10 and version 11 projects. Currently as they both have the same root folder name the beta project overwrites the release project.

#27 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

paraglider
It's make special, version 011 is 100% compatibility with version 010 and i not really want upload all scripts again, only modified :cheers:

#28 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

ALL

Beta files was updated, not all new functions fully tested and working, but it's next small steep to perfection :cheers:

#29 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:57 AM

In Virtual PC 2007:

1. I can't boot with Grub4DOS as the boot manager. No matter which Grub4DOS skin I choose, I get white text on a black background and, when it tries to boot:

Booting 'VistaPE'

chainloader /bootmgr

error 17: FIle not found\

press any key to continue ...

When I press a key, it goes back to the menu.

2. I can boot using IsoLinux boot manager, but not without intervention. If I wait for the timer on the intial screen to count down to zero, it just starts aggain. I have to press <Enter> to get it to boot.

Still the same with today's update.

#30 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:46 AM

JonF
very strange, try redownload "7 - Create ISO" (Standard-7-iso.script) script, you must have "/BOOTMGR" file on cd and check line 158 in script
TXTAddLine,&#34;%MenuFile%&#34;,&#34;chainloader /BOOTMGR&#34;,&#34;Append&#34;

#31 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

JonF
very strange, try redownload "7 - Create ISO" (Standard-7-iso.script) script, you must have "/BOOTMGR" file on cd and check line 158 in script

TXTAddLine,&#34;%MenuFile%&#34;,&#34;chainloader /BOOTMGR&#34;,&#34;Append&#34;

Arrgghhhhh!!11!111!!!!

When I downloaded the beta, it over-wrote my working copy of version 10. AGAIN. I was still running the original beta!

Silently over-writing production code with beta code is not acceptable behavior.

#32 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

Silently over-writing production code with beta code is not acceptable behavior.

all is 100% compatibility! i not see any big problem, if you found bug in 011 version, i can fix it, all your own scripts must work without any modification...

ps grub4dos working or not? :cheers:

#33 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

I forget! In last version of vpeldr (04.12.2007) i add support for desktop icons in BSExplorer, cat anyone test it with many icons? :cheers:

#34 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

all is 100% compatibility! i not see any big problem, if you found bug in 011 version, i can fix it, all your own scripts must work without any modification...

When it breaks an existing installation, that is a big problem. The first download broke an existing installation. I have not had a chance yet to test the second download, I am too busy right now.

Don't know yet ...

#35 fuwi

fuwi

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 135 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

@NightMan

thanks for the new beta 11 version
unfortunately, i have a lot of troubles with scripts which worked without problems in the first beta 11 version

some examples:
in a script i use this code to make an entry in the autorun.cfg:
TxtAddLine,%AutoRunFile%,&#34;2|s|Install ImDisk Ramdisk|s|X&#58;\Windows\System32|s|imdiskrd.exe|s|%RamDrvSize%&#34;,&#34;Append&#34;
don't work, there is no autorun.cfg file in X:\Windows\System32
also tried with this code, same problem:
Add_Auto_Run,&#34;Install ImDisk Ramdisk&#34;,&#34;X&#58;\Windows\System32\imdiskrd.exe&#34;,&#34;%RamDrvSize%&#34;,2

this is my vistape.cfg:
&#91;main&#93;

screen=1024x768

wpeinit=background

mountprogram=no

&#91;shortcut&#93;

System|Keyboard Layout|%SystemRoot%\System32\keyboard.exe|%SystemRoot%\System32\keyboard.ico|

Disk Tools|MsKeys|%CDDrive%\Programs\XPKeyReaders\MsKeys.exe||

Disk Tools|Keyfinder-PE|%CDDrive%\Programs\XPKeyReaders\XP-Key-Reader.exe||

Desktop|sala&#39;s Password Renew|%CDDrive%\Programs\salapasswd\PasswdRenew.exe||

Security|sala&#39;s Password Renew|%CDDrive%\Programs\salapasswd\PasswdRenew.exe||

Registry|ServicesPE|%CDDrive%\Programs\ServicesPE\ServicesPE.exe||

Registry|Registry Loader PE|%CDDrive%\Programs\RegistryLoaderPE\RegistryLoaderPE.exe||

Office|SumatraPDF|%CDDrive%\Programs\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF.exe||

Disk Tools|TestDisk|%CDDrive%\Programs\TestDisk\testdisk_win.exe||

Disk Tools|HD Tune|%CDDrive%\Programs\HDTune\HDTune.exe||

Data Recovery|Unstoppable Copier|%CDDrive%\Programs\UnStopCopier\unstopcp.exe||

Data Recovery|Undelete Plus|%CDDrive%\Programs\Undelete_Plus\undelete_plus.exe||

Antivirus|McAfee Stinger|%CDDrive%\Programs\McAfee\stinger.exe||

System|Restart Quick Launch Bar|%SystemRoot%\System32\QuickLaunchPE.exe||

System|ImDisk Virtual Drive Management|%SystemRoot%\System32\imdisk.cpl||

&#91;autorun&#93;

&#91;registry&#93;

&#91;association&#93;

pdf,%CDDrive%\Programs\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF.exe

&#91;shells&#93;

&#91;drivers&#93;
most of the startmenu-folders above are missing, for example "Disk Tools", "Data Recovery", "Office", "Antivirus", "Registry", "Security"
they were all visible in the first beta 11
i think, only startmenu-folders that are created from a script with the old syntax are visible, for example from the SecNet.script:
TXTAddLine,%ES%,"x:\Windows\System32\secnet.exe,Network\SecNet.lnk","Append"

the .pdf association is not in the registry, i use this code:
&#91;process&#93;

Echo,Processing %ProgramTitle%...

Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Office

Associate_File,pdf

Unpack,Files,SumatraPDF.7z
but also good news:
booting from USB-Stick is now much faster!
now about 35 seconds (about 2 minutes with the first beta 11 version)

regards
fuwi

#36 Myote

Myote

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

Hi NighMan,

It seem that we can't have both shortcut link on Desktop and in startmenu, under Explorer in v11 (almost for me).
Some scripts, like pdfreader don't install in Program Files even if you force it, always in Program (strange thing with nod32 script, it install in Program, not Program Files, if you mark "Mount folder with programs as drive y:"). Vepldr is really very faster, perhaps to much.

#37 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:17 PM

So, after two (three-hour) builds, I still don't know.

The first build failed for forty "DirDelete - Failed to delete ... [ºseDir%\Target\VistaPE\...]" errors and produced a 34 KB ISO. So I deleted the entire directory from Explorer (with no errors) and started again. The second build failed with one error "DirDelete - Failed to delete directory [ºseDir%\Target\VistaPE\Programs\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0]" (note that when the build started that directory did not exist, and "Enable .NET 3.0" was not checked) and produced a 34 KB ISO. So I'll turn off .NET 3.0 and try again, shall I?

I guess it's a good thing I don't desperately need a fresh copy of VistaPE, isn't it? IMHO breaking a working installation is not "compatibility". I appreciate and am in awe of your efforts; but you made a big mistake when you did not mark this as a separate beta release.

#38 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Well, I have it now to the point where it consistently produces no error messages but the result is an un-bootable 34KB ISO:

IF - &#91;true&#93; is not equal to&#58; &#91;true&#93; evaluated string&#58; &#91;If,%pCheckBox1%,NotEqual,true,ShellExecute,Hide,#$q%Tools%\mkisofs.exe#$q,&#34;-rdNlDTJ #$s-force-uppercase -duplicates-once -joliet-long -hide-joliet-trans-tbl -volid #$q%pTextBox1%#$q -eltorito-boot #$q%BootSect%#$q -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -hide boot.catalog#$s-o #$q%IsoFile%#$q #$q%targetdir%#$q&#34;&#93;

IF - &#91;true&#93; is equal to&#58; &#91;true&#93;

Shellexecute&#58; &#91;Open&#93; using&#58; &#91;&#34;%BaseDir%\Projects\Tools\mkisofs.exe&#34;&#93; with parameters&#58; &#91;-rdNlDTJ -force-uppercase -duplicates-once -joliet-long -hide-joliet-trans-tbl -volid &#34;VistaPE&#34; -eltorito-boot &#34;boot/grldr&#34; -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -hide boot.catalog -o &#34;%BaseDir%\ISO\VistaPE.iso&#34; &#34;%BaseDir%\Target\VistaPE&#34;&#93;

Retrieve - Sucessfully retrieved the file size from&#58; &#91;%BaseDir%\ISO\VistaPE.iso&#93; to variable&#58; &#91;%sizeISO%&#93; with result&#58; &#91;34816&#93;

StrFormat - converted&#58; &#91;34816&#93; to variable&#58; &#91;%sizeISO%&#93; with result&#58; &#91;34.00 Kb&#93;

ISO build size is 34.00 Kb

Script time&#58; 1 minute, 33 seconds and 584 miliseconds

Finished processing script&#58; 1 hour, 57 minutes, 1 second and 288 miliseconds

I can run my original version 11 and get a 360MB ISO that boots but has the grub4DOS failure. So I guess I will extract my scripts, re-download version 10, get a working version again, and then maybe I will protect if from overwriting and re-try version 11.

#39 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

don't work, there is no autorun.cfg file in X:\Windows\System32

yes, use API and only API :cheers:

Add_Auto_Run,"Install ImDisk Ramdisk","X:\Windows\System32\imdiskrd.exe","%RamDrvSize%",2

AddAutoRun not Add_Auto_Run, all other is right :cheers:

most of the startmenu-folders above are missing, for example "Disk Tools", "Data Recovery", "Office", "Antivirus", "Registry", "Security"

sorry, i not understand, you have all submenu in your "vistape.cfg" and all is working (if vpeldr found program) ... and you have 2 "vistape.cfg" file - one at cd root folder, and one at x:\windows\system32 (only for programs at boot.wim)... i not understand where problem?

the .pdf association is not in the registry, i use this code:

yes, it will be add to registry during booting, by vpeldr ... if program will be found, and you will be see message about it ... i may me problem when booting from usb, i still thinking and testing :cheers:

now about 35 seconds (about 2 minutes with the first beta 11 version)

yes, but usb not found and shortcuts not fully work...

It seem that we can't have both shortcut link on Desktop and in startmenu, under Explorer in v11 (almost for me).

we can have all shortcuts what me want everywhere and every time :cheers:

Some scripts, like pdfreader don't install in Program Files even if you force it, always in Program

strange, thanks, i try make more tests and fix it ...

I can run my original version 11 and get a 360MB ISO that boots but has the grub4DOS failure. So I guess I will extract my scripts, re-download version 10, get a working version again, and then maybe I will protect if from overwriting and re-try version 11.

ok, you are right, i rename project folder soon... every time you have very strange bugs and it's very baffled me :cheers:

2aCD
what do you think about DotNet errors?

#40 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

Version 11 is now producing a bootable ISO for me with grub4dos as a boot manager.

But I'm not getting any desktop icons for my scripts, even those which use the new API:

&#91;variables&#93;

%Executable%=AdAware.cmd

%OutDir%=AdAware

%PName%=Ad-Aware

%ParentItem%=Spyware

%RunFromRAMDisk%=FALSE

%UpdateAtRun%=FALSE

%ProgramEXE%=AdAware.cmd

%ProgramFolder%=AdAware

%ProgramTitle%=Ad-Aware

Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Spyware,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\%ProgramEXE%&#34;,&#34;%ProgramTitle%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%&#34;,&#34;%RunFromRAMDisk% %UpdateAtRun%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\Ad-Aware.exe&#34;,1

If,%pCheckBox1%,Equal,true,Add_Shortcut,Desktop,Spyware,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\%Executable%&#34;,&#34;%ProgramTitle%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%&#34;,&#34;%RunFromRAMDisk% %UpdateAtRun%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\Ad-Aware.exe&#34;,1

or:

&#91;Variables&#93;

%ProgramEXE%=Spybot.cmd

%ProgramFolder%=SpybotSD

%ProgramTitle%=Spybot Search & Destroy

%RunTimeParameters%=&#34; &#34;

%RunFromRAMDisk%=FALSE

Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Spyware,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\%ProgramEXE%&#34;,&#34;%ProgramTitle%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%&#34;,&#34;%RunFromRAMDisk% %pScrollBox1% %RunTimeParameters%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\SpybotSD.exe&#34;,1

If,%pCheckBox3%,Equal,true,Add_Shortcut,Desktop,Spyware,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\%ProgramEXE%&#34;,&#34;%ProgramTitle%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%&#34;,&#34;%RunFromRAMDisk% %pScrollBox1% %RunTimeParameters%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\SpybotSD.exe&#34;,1

I do get an entry in the start menu under Spyware.

I do not get an entry in the Start menu or the desktop for my scripts that are using the old API, but that is expected, correct?

#41 fuwi

fuwi

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 135 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

@NightMan

in my last reply (see Post #35) i wrote:
most of the startmenu-folders above are missing, for example &#34;Disk Tools&#34;, &#34;Data Recovery&#34;, &#34;Office&#34;, &#34;Antivirus&#34;, &#34;Registry&#34;, &#34;Security&#34;

more precisely: this occurs only on USB-Stick booting (on CD-booting all startmenu-folders are visible and working)
i found the the reason:
all those missing startmenu-folders should have shortcuts (in BS_START.INI) that points to programs on the VistaPE USB-Stick,
but in the short execution-time of vpeldr.exe, the USB-Stick is not accessible! So all that shortcuts aren't created.

to verify this, i make an entry at the top of autorun.cmd (which is executed directly after vpeldr.exe has finished):
TxtAddLine,&#34;%TargetDir%\Windows\System32\autorun.cmd&#34;,&#34;if exist c&#58;\test.cmd call c&#58;\test.cmd&#34;,&#34;Place&#34;,&#34;2&#34;
my autorun.cmd looks now like this:
@echo off

title VistaPE Autorun...

if exist c&#58;\test.cmd call c&#58;\test.cmd

echo Starting VistaPE Autorun, please wait...

echo.

%SystemRoot%\system32\ext3sevices.exe
on a given computer, i copy this test.cmd to c:\
@echo off

echo Debug-Delay, please wait...

x&#58;\windows\System32\nircmdc.exe wait 10000

if exist f&#58;\vistape.cd goto YES

echo - USB-Stick&#58; VISTAPE.CD not found!

goto END

&#58;YES

echo - USB-Stick&#58; VISTAPE.CD found!

&#58;END 

pause

cls
Note:
f: is the driveletter of my VistaPE USB-Stick on this given computer

in the line "x:\windows\System32\nircmdc.exe wait xxxxx" the script stops for xxxxx ms
if i enter a value lower 20000 (20 seconds) the result is "USB-Stick: VISTAPE.CD not found!"
(that means, the USB-Stick isn't accessible)

on some computers, i have to enter values up to 50000 (50 seconds) until the result is "USB-Stick: VISTAPE.CD found!"

i realy hope you can fix that...

fuwi

#42 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

But I'm not getting any desktop icons for my scripts, even those which use the new API:

This also does not produce a desktop shortcut:

Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Spyware,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\%ProgramEXE%&#34;,&#34;%ProgramTitle%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%&#34;,&#34;%RunFromRAMDisk% %pScrollBox1% %RunTimeParameters%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\SpybotSD.exe&#34;,1

If,%pCheckBox3%,Equal,true,Run,%ScriptFile%,Desktop_Short_Cut

&#91;Desktop_Short_Cut&#93;

Add_Shortcut,Desktop,Spyware,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\%ProgramEXE%&#34;,&#34;%ProgramTitle%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%&#34;,&#34;%RunFromRAMDisk% %pScrollBox1% %RunTimeParameters%&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\SpybotSD.exe&#34;,1

&#91;Interface&#93;

pCheckBox2=&#34;Update at build time&#34;,1,3,16,131,200,18,True

pCheckBox3=&#34;Add shortcut to desktop&#34;,1,3,17,197,200,18,True
Check box 3 is definitely selected.

#43 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

JonF, what a confusion.. :cheers:

This api is designed to have as little parameters as possible and be easy to read and understand by everybody, look here --> http://boot-land.net...pplication.html and here --> http://www.boot-land...ript-t2665.html

Why not using something like this:

&#91;main&#93;

Title=SpyBot Search&Destroy

Description=Detect and removes spyware from your computer

Selected=True

Level=5

Version=1

Contact=http&#58;//www.safer-networking.org

Author=Patrick M. Kolla

Download_Level=2

Date=2007-JUL-17

&#91;variables&#93;

%ProgramTitle%=SpyBot S&D

%ProgramEXE%=SpyBotSD.exe

%ProgramFolder%=SpyBotSD

&#91;process&#93;

unpack,folder,spybot_sfx.exe,&#34;-y&#34;

Add_Shortcut

Now all you have to do is create a sfx file called "spybot_sfx.exe" with the right-click option using 7zip and attach inside the script on the "Folder" archive.

When the api script is called it will run the spybot_sfx.exe self-extracting all files into the programs folder (with -Y switch to be silent) and then add a shortcut (by default on the start menu inside the same folder as the folder where the script is placed)

This is an example for ASquared-Free script --> http://livexp.boot-l...are_free.script

I'm just mentioning a simple example with no auto-update option - first we start with simple steps and then move on to the next level.

When creating your script keep in mind to avoid any static path references and use the list of available api commands to make them portable and flexible. You find more details inside this topic --> http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2707

There is also a SpyBot working for liveXP using the initial implementation of this API but at the time there was no support for running sfx files so it uses a mix of old script code that is no longer necessary today but if it followed our current api language then it could be used on vistaPE without changing any line of code at all.

Look here --> http://livexp.boot-l...l/spybot.script

Good luck - I hope this helps you or other members understanding how these things work.

:cheers:

#44 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

JonF, what a confusion.. :cheers:

This api is designed to have as little parameters as possible and be easy to read and understand by everybody, look here -->
http://boot-land.net...pplication.html
and here --> http://www.boot-land...ript-t2665.html

Why not using something like this:

I am aware of what can and cannot be done with the most basic version of the API. it doesn't do what I want; allow running from CD or RAM (boot.wim) or RAMdisk, and (if selected) automatically update at build time and (if selected) automatically update at run time and (if selected) place an icon on the desktop and have that icon be the Spybot icon. I intend to share this script but I wouldn't share one that doesn't have appropriate options. If people don't like my script they can use the simpler one.

Some of what I want is because I'm trying to learn, some of it (the updating) is not negotiable. I use this stuff in my business and I need the updating options. If I'm not going to have a choice where to run it from, then running from RAMdisk is the only option. I would love to see an example of how to write what I want or what I need without doing something close to what I did.

I am using the syntax documented at http://www.vistape.n...pe-api.html#api. That syntax works as advertised in VistaPE 10, but not in VistaPE 11. The line that adds a shortcut to the start menu works in obth version 10 and 11. If that syntax is incorrect perhaps NightMan should change that page?

#45 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

The new version looks great! And the "Computer" icon on the desktop appears to work much better than before!

dc-pass.script is missing "Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Security".

#46 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

It's also not needed to use

Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Security

This is good enough

Add_Shortcut

And this way you get a more flexible script since it will create a shortcut by default on the main menu used (either explorer, xoblite or something else) and use (if possible) the same folder name where the script is placed.

If you place the script on the "Security" folder then it should be placed in the same order inside the Start menu on this case.

-------------------------

it doesn't do what I want; allow running from CD or RAM (boot.wim) or RAMdisk

One step at a time please - for the moment you're just starting off with creating a shortcut.

-------------

As for updating - my suggestion is to add a button on the script interface to allow download and updating the older update files attached inside the script.

Would there be interest in downloading the new updates everytime you use this rescue CD?

This is why updating from the script sounds more effective - or you can also place the updated files on a USB drive.

SpyBot doesn't get outdated so soon and creating a fresh image once a month would be a good practise.

:cheers:

#47 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:34 PM

One step at a time please - for the moment you're just starting off with creating a shortcut.

A shortcut I can create, and I can do it with the new API. I'm not just starting off with creating a shortcut. I'm just starting off with taking a working (under version 10) script using the documented new API and trying to get it to operate as advertised. I the API doesn't support what is documented the documentation or the API should be changed.

As for updating - my suggestion is to add a button on the script interface to allow download and updating the older update files attached inside the script.

I have an "update at build time" checkbox to update the files after extracting. I intend to leave that checked, and if I do there's no need to spend the (considerable) time to update the files inside the script.

Would there be interest in downloading the new updates every time you use this rescue CD?

I surmise you have not been a professional in-home PC repairman. Belt and suspenders. Everything that can be reasonably done to fix a customer's problem should be done.

It may not be so important for Spybot; but the technique is very important for some programs such as virus scanners. I've been in situations where an infection would not be caught if the definitions were over 24 hours old. Since it takes hours to build a disk, I don't build every day. So I update at build time and (if possible) update at run time. (Some customers have dial-up or direct DSL and I can't connect from VistaPE). And I fix my customer's machines. Because I take the time to be as prepared as I can be. I have been in many situations where I would have failed if I had skipped one step of my preparations.

This is why updating from the script sounds more effective - or you can also place the updated files on a USB drive.

I do. But a significant number of machines don't have USB or don't recognize my drives for one reason or another. And the USB drive needs updating, and I don't do that every day. Updating at run time is more convenient and the ability is absolutely required, unless you can guarantee that Mcafee and Lavasoft and Spybot have not changed their definitions in the last few days since I built my disk .. and nobody can guarantee that.

SpyBot doesn't get outdated so soon and creating a fresh image once a month would be a good practise

Once a month? I wouldn't leave the house with a month-old CD. I decided to apply the technique to Spybot first, but tehr are several other programs that need it and are updated several times a week. This is a fast-paced world.

#48 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

I upload new build for version 11 two days ago, booting from USB fixed, many other issue fixed too, all must work (as i see it), folder with beta files renamed to "VistaPE-Beta", new drivers model add and working, also new API for registry and PE Shell:

AddToPEShell,"Title","run.exe",True (or simple AddToPEShell,"Title", title is requested)

program will be add to PE Shell Swapper, is you add "True" to end of command, it will be default shell. Not use more that 8 program.

RegAddBoot,"HKLM",0x1,"SOFTWARE\Test","Test key","Test Value"

it will be add to "vistape.cfg' and processed during boot, you can use all modification for path as in shortcuts, syntax in vistap.cfg is fully compatibility with WB RegWrite command

&#91;Main&#93;

Title=7-Zip 4.56

Author=NightMan

Level=5

Version=010

Description=

Locked=false

Contact=vistape@vistape.net

Date=02.11.2007

Selected=True

Download_Level=2

&#91;Variables&#93;

%ProgramFolder%=7-zip

%ProgramEXE%=7zfm.exe

%ProgramTitle%=7-zip

&#91;Process&#93;

Echo,Processing %ProgramTitle%...

RunFromRam,%pCheckBox1%

Unpack,Files,7-Zip.7z,True

Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Archivators

Add_Shortcut,Desktop

run,%ScriptFile%,Setting

&#91;Interface&#93;

pCheckBox1=&#34;Run from ram &#40;boot.wim&#41;&#34;,1,3,10,40,200,18,False

&#91;Setting&#93;

associate_file,7z

associate_file,arj

associate_file,z

associate_file,zip

RegAddBoot,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\7-ZIP&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}&#34;

RegAddBoot,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;7-Zip Shell Extension&#34;

RegAddBoot,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}\InprocServer32&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\7-zip.dll&#34;

RegAddBoot,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}\InprocServer32&#34;,&#34;ThreadingModel&#34;,&#34;Apartment&#34;

RegAddBoot,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\7-Zip&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}&#34;

RegAddBoot,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\DragDropHandlers\7-Zip&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}&#34;

RegAddBoot,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shellex\DragDropHandlers\7-Zip&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}&#34;

&#91;EncodedFolders&#93;

Files

&#91;Files&#93;

7-Zip.7z=787Kb,1Mb

&#91;EncodedFile-Files-7-Zip.7z&#93;

lines=263

#49 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

It's also not needed to use

Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Security

This is good enough

Add_Shortcut

Add_Shortcut does not create a shortcut.
Add_Shortcut,StartMenu does not create a shortcut.
Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Security does create a shortcut.

I understand all those are supposed to create shortcuts, but only one does, in VistaPE beta 11 and WInBuilder 074.

#50 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

Note that the A43 script contains the line "Add_Shortcut,StartMenu", but I cannot find an A43 shortcut anywhere on the LiteStep Start menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users