Photo
- - - - -

VistaPE new site and new version (version 010 BETA)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#51 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:23 PM

I'm in the process of testing a fresh download with absolutely no customization. One thing I've noticed ... beta 10 is S L O W. I haven't quantified it but I estimate four times slower than previous version; 20-30 minutes to build beta 9, two or more hours to build beta 10, under similar but maybe not exactly the same circumstances. Vista Ultimate, 3 GHz hyperthreaded P4, 2 GB RAM, RAM usage hovering at about 50%, CPU usage pretty solid 100% while WinBuilder is running. Are others having the same experience?

#52 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

I'm in the process of testing a fresh download with absolutely no customization. One thing I've noticed ... beta 10 is SLOW. I haven't quantified it but I estimate four times slower than previous version; 20-30 minutes to build beta 9, two or more hours to build beta 10, under similar but maybe not exactly the same circumstances. Vista Ultimate, 3 GHz hyperthreaded P4, 2 GB RAM, RAM usage hovering at about 50%, CPU usage pretty solid 100% while WinBuilder is running. Are others having the same experience?

Interesting, I had the same feeling while trying the new version. But my system is a bit faster and therefore the difference isn't as high as in your case (a full second time v010 build using takes on my system about 10 minutes - C2D E6600 with 3.25GB RAM running XP) . The only obvious difference I noticed was that VistaPE010 contains a lot more programs than v009.

From my observations I would say that most time is consumed by unpacking files attached to the script. Additionally the files are packed twice: The attached files are 7z compressed and WinBuilder compresses them again before attaching. As some of the readers of this forum may remember I already presented an highly optimized attachment decoding function some time ago.
Additionally it is my opinion that it would be time to optimize WinBuilder's script execution speed a bit.

booty#1

#53 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

From my observations I would say that most time is consumed by unpacking files attached to the script. Additionally the files are packed twice: The attached files are 7z compressed and WinBuilder compresses them again before attaching. As some of the readers of this forum may remember I already presented an highly optimized attachment decoding function some time ago.
Additionally it is my opinion that it would be time to optimize WinBuilder's script execution speed a bit.

I agree :cheers:
EDIT +
Should not be seen that I just theoretically agree.
While i usually do not have any troubles with nativeEX based projects, I also had these lllooonnnggg times with VistaPE.
If that could be changed (not by WB only, maybe by the way downloading and extending is handled) >> :cheers:
EDIT -

@Booty: Nice new logo!

Peter

#54 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

Nice logo indeed.. :cheers:

We should really see why it is so slow - on my laptop I noticed that the time used by each project build increases as the number of app scripts gets bigger.

Instead of using 7z files, I'm adopting self extractable exe's - and it results in much faster decompression.

Guess we'll have to run more tests and try new methods to this solve matter.

:cheers:

#55 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

We should really see why it is so slow - on my laptop I noticed that the time used by each project build increases as the number of app scripts gets bigger.

Instead of using 7z files, I'm adopting self extractable exe's - and it results in much faster decompression.

I think you should look to Booty's work (I do not remember where).
In one topic he explained how to (and as far as I remember with some source code) how to make the attach and reload tasks faster.
BTW: In my apps, I use his posted code snippets!

Peter

#56 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

The speed is slow because NightMan have modified the api and use many Set and RefreshVar command
Here message between Nightman and me :

As I see you seem don't appreciate my way to program Api with section

NightMan : i only have different program way, better way for me, first, take all ...knowledge (i not know how better say it) and then do something with it, i not very like many branch

It's perhaps a little complicate but it's the only way i found to make Api very fast
In my Api I don't use the Set command, because we must use System,RefreshVar and this is slowing process
I have ask Nuno to make the Set command work like the StrFormat
After a StrFormat command no need to use refreshVar.

NightMan : hm... better way modify System,RefreshVar command and do it faster ... and include many ideas from common API to WinBuilder as standard functions, it will be very fast ...

Have you try my Api as it is ? I think it will be faster than your

NightMan : sorry, no

#57 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:05 PM

Ok, this all seems good stuff to be discussed over the next beta.. :cheers:

#58 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:43 AM

Ok, this all seems good stuff to be discussed over the next beta.. :cheers:

Might have something to do with all the variable errors I get after running through the script once. After that I find myself sometimes needing to either relaunch Winbuilder or reboot. Almost like the variables were not cleared out from before.

#59 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:57 PM

PCWizard 2008 is still pointing to the pc2007.exe file. Need to fix that.

fixed :cheers:

Also if you like this one you can add this splash pic to Grub, its what I use.

Thanks!

Ok the build with 09 driver plugin worked on my IBM Netvista but not on my HP NC6000 laptop. My previous build worked with this same laptop so something is up in regards to networking between 09 to 010. Not sure what.

i try make more tests at weekend :cheers:

Before building, in PreConfig I changed

script:
[AutoFindImagex]

Echo,"Detecting #$qimagex.exe#$q..."

If,ExistFile,"%pFileBox1%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe",Set,"%IMAGEX%","%pFileBox1%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe"

If,ExistFile,"%pFileBox1%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe",Set,%ImageTool%,"ImageX"

If,ExistFile,"%Tools%\imagex.exe",Set,"%IMAGEX%","%Tools%\imagex.exe"

If,ExistFile,"%Tools%\imagex.exe",Set,%ImageTool%,"ImageX"

If,ExistFile,"%ProgramFilesDir%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe",Set,"%IMAGEX%","%pFileBox1%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe"

If,ExistFile,"%ProgramFilesDir%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe",Set,%ImageTool%,"ImageX"
so, you can not change anything :cheers:

BTW: Maybe you use qEmu (if it can handle Vista) to run the PE in the 'One-Click'

may be, i not test it with latest qEmu, but it's not work early :cheers:

Check your project to be 'One-Click' ready

i'm working working working :cheers:

My first image related 010 version shows that in the tree: is it normal?

right now YES :cheers:

The issue is LiteStep related: I should need that the program folder is not deleted, but the previous feature in the new version is missing...

hm... make %ScriptDir%\Litestep folder and extract ALL files from archive in it and script will automatically copy it ...

May be we should add an automatic NTFS permission adjustment via "SetAcl.exe".

all really work with this command? i need set permissions before mounting wim files? (please PM to me)

Note the font size.

very interesting... problem only with desktop or other fonts not wok correctly too?

Here is a WinDiff between the Drivers pack from 09 and from 010. Not sure if there is anything that sticks out to you as to why 09 would work and 010 would not work.
hm... i try update it as soon as possible... i plane take original drivers from Vista DVD, not from other additional packs :cheers:

One thing I've noticed ... beta 10 is S L O W
YES, all program use API functions and it's take many many time for many checks ... i working for optimization, but as is now... :cheers:

ps too many quote in one message :cheers:

#60 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

wb itself is also intented to have some speed improvements - especially on the variable related commands.. :cheers:

#61 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

wb itself is also intented to have some speed improvements - especially on the variable related commands.. :cheers:

@ Nightman

I think I figured out why XP Recovery Console isn't getting updated properly. There are spaces in the line of text it is looking for. I made the changes and it appears to have made the change. Haevn't tested it yet but will do and report my findings.

Edit: Yep thats what it was. Here is the change to the script.

TXTReplace,"%TmpFolder%\TXTSETUP.SIF","cdtagfile   = #$q\win51ip#$q","cdtagfile   = #$q\vistape.cd#$q"

TXTReplace,"%TmpFolder%\TXTSETUP.SIF","cdtagfilei   = #$q\win51ip#$q","cdtagfilei   = #$q\vistape.cd#$q"

TXTReplace,"%TmpFolder%\TXTSETUP.SIF","spcdtagfilei   = #$q\win51ip.sp2#$q","spcdtagfilei   = #$q\vistape.cd#$q"

#62 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

Note the font size.

very interesting... problem only with desktop or other fonts not wok correctly too?

Only the desktop. Everything else is OK. If I increase IconDeskDTopFontSize in LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\desktop_icons.rc the problem goes away.

I have not yet gotten networking to work in Virtual PC 2007, even with a clean download of beta 10 and/or the drivers from beta 9.

#63 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

All is fixed and uploded, network (drivers) will be fixed soon :cheers:

#64 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

All is fixed and uploded, network (drivers) will be fixed soon :cheers:

Can you see this post regarding ISOLinux? Not so much the password feature but the part on memtest and others not working with ISOLinux.

http://boot-land.net...?showtopic=3329

#65 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:40 AM

Does anybody knows why qEmu doesn’t like VistaPE.iso?

I am tired to test every VistaPE build on a real PC and
any other virtual system is too complicated for me.

Thank you.

#66 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:14 AM

Than you did not try VirtualBox yet!

Just install it on your pc and use the VirtualBox.script instead of the qEmu.script

Peter

#67 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

Can you see this post regarding ISOLinux? Not so much the password feature but the part on memtest and others not working with ISOLinux.

fixed, thanks :cheers:

#68 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:52 AM

qEmu is not compatible with Windows Vista ...

#69 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

I am tired to test every VistaPE build on a real PC and

Thank you.

Check out VirtualBox. Its not that big and for testing you can't beat it. With some tweaking you can get networking to work too.

#70 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

Check out VirtualBox. Its not that big and for testing you can't beat it. With some tweaking you can get networking to work too.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have downloaded and installed version 1.3.2 and 1.5.2,
but neither have USB and Network support working!!!

How could I make those work?

#71 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have downloaded and installed version 1.3.2 and 1.5.2,
but neither have USB and Network support working!!!

How could I make those work?

Launch Virtual Box and go into the settings for the WinBuilder machine and enable them. Be sure to also create your Virtual network adapter and haev it connect to the Host.

#72 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

Launch Virtual Box and go into the settings for the WinBuilder machine and enable them.
Be sure to also create your Virtual network adapter and have it connect to the Host.

Thank you.

I have managed to start USB support, but not Networking.
The explanation from the Help is not really helping.

How I could create Virtual network adapter and connect it to the Host?
My host system is Vista Ultimate and VirtualBox has some problems with it.

Kind regards.

#73 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:46 AM

Be sure to also create your Virtual network adapter
and have it connect to the Host.

According to the VirtualBox manual, to enable network support for VistaPE,
Guest Additions should be installed in the Guest machine:

4.2.1.1. Mounting the Additions ISO file
In the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, VirtualBox has a handy menu item named "Install guest additions", which will automatically bring up the Additions in your VM window.

This is not working!!!

If you prefer to mount the additions manually, you can perform the following steps:
1. Start the virtual machine where you have installed a Windows guest operating system.
2. Select "Mount CD/DVD-ROM" from the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar and then "CD/DVD-ROM image". This brings up the Virtual Disk Manager described in Section 3.5, “The Virtual Disk Manager”.
3. In the Virtual Disk Manager, press the "Add" button and browse your host file system for the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file:
• On a Windows host, you can find this file in the VirtualBox installation directory (usually under C:\Program files\innotek VirtualBox).
• On a Linux host, you can find this file in the additions folder under where you installed VirtualBox (normally /opt/VirtualBox-1.5.2).
4. Back in the Virtual Disk Manager, select that ISO file and press the "Select" button. This will mount the ISO file and present it to your Windows guest as a CD-ROM.

This also is not working!!!

Could you help me how to do it?

My host system is Vista Ultimate (on C partition),
with installed VirtualBox 1.5.2
and I am trying to test networking in VistaPE!

Thank you.

#74 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:37 AM

According to the VirtualBox manual, to enable network support for VistaPE,
Guest Additions should be installed in the Guest machine:

4.2.1.1. Mounting the Additions ISO file
In the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, VirtualBox has a handy menu item named "Install guest additions", which will automatically bring up the Additions in your VM window.

This is not working!!!

If you prefer to mount the additions manually, you can perform the following steps:
1. Start the virtual machine where you have installed a Windows guest operating system.
2. Select "Mount CD/DVD-ROM" from the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar and then "CD/DVD-ROM image". This brings up the Virtual Disk Manager described in Section 3.5, “The Virtual Disk Manager”.
3. In the Virtual Disk Manager, press the "Add" button and browse your host file system for the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file:
• On a Windows host, you can find this file in the VirtualBox installation directory (usually under C:\Program files\innotek VirtualBox).
• On a Linux host, you can find this file in the additions folder under where you installed VirtualBox (normally /opt/VirtualBox-1.5.2).
4. Back in the Virtual Disk Manager, select that ISO file and press the "Select" button. This will mount the ISO file and present it to your Windows guest as a CD-ROM.

This also is not working!!!

Could you help me how to do it?

My host system is Vista Ultimate (on C partition),
with installed VirtualBox 1.5.2
and I am trying to test networking in VistaPE!

Thank you.

Bring up VirtualBox. Make sure the WinBuilder machine is highlighted and select Settings.
Go to Network
Make sure its enabled.
Attached to: Host (I find Host works best)
Down in the bottom for Host Interfaces click on the green + button on the right. At this point you should see Windows install a virtual adapter. Keep the default name and make sure this name is listed in the Interface Name field above.

Now you should have networking working VistaPE. I've also went ahead and added the drivers from the Programs Folder into the Drivers plugin (just to be sure).

Hope this helps.

#75 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:08 AM

Bring up VirtualBox. Make sure the WinBuilder machine is highlighted and select Settings.
Go to Network
Make sure its enabled.
Attached to: Host (I find Host works best)
Down in the bottom for Host Interfaces click on the green + button on the right. At this point you should see Windows install a virtual adapter. Keep the default name and make sure this name is listed in the Interface Name field above.

Now you should have networking working VistaPE. I've also went ahead and added the drivers from the Programs Folder into the Drivers plugin (just to be sure).

Hope this helps.

Before I went into this adventure what is your opinion about this:

"Warning
Setting up Host Interface Networking requires changes to your host's network configuration, which will cause the host to lose its network connection. Do not change network settings on remote or production systems unless you know what you are doing.

4.2.4. Windows Vista networking
Windows Vista no longer ships a driver for the AMD PCnet Ethernet card which is what VirtualBox provides to the guest. As a result, after installation, Vista guests initially have no networking. With Windows Vista guests, you will have to install a driver for this card manually. For this reason, VirtualBox ships with such a driver, which, for simplicity, we have added to the Guest Additions ISO.
To install this driver, mount the Guest Additions ISO (as described above, select "Install guest additions" from the "Devices" menu). Then, start the Windows Hardware Wizard and direct it to the Guest Additions CD where a driver for the PCnet card can be found in the directory AMD_PCnet."

My host is Vista Ultimate and guest VistaPE. I didn’t manage to install Guest Additions
as described in manual. I found the way to do it, but after installation guest system ask for
restart, which brings me to the error message that it is not possible. In addition, it is not
comfortable to go thru this procedure every time you start guest.

Thank you for your kind help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users