sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

i create topic because of the picture..

it is made of two same windows at different moments : one shows the common copy windows...that disappears but the taskmanager is showing that hard drive is still working, that can be as long as one or two minutes if you have plenty of ram and a fast usb3 [ mine is recent and one of the less expensive of kingston ]

capturehd.jpg

it is not very easy to spot this behavior , i am sure windows will not show warning if user restart his pc before end of copy...

#2 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

The progress bar shows the read of data, not the write, hence this behavior.

About the system shutdown, Windows always flushes these buffers before stopping the hardware. So this changes nothing for the copy, Windows will just take more time for shutting down because of the flush.

#3 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

nice try

but the box says : copying  xxx items from kingston to fast hd...not buffer nor reading ...

windows corrupts memory with its bad codes and that should increase dues to spying$ so going off is nearly always tricky..

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

The behaviour is easy to spot if you have an activity LED on the USB drive.

Windows is buffering the writes.

As long as you 'Eject' or shut down nicely, you should not lose data.

I always use the System Tray - Safely Remove Hardware tool whenever I remove any USB drive.

Just get into the habit and you will not lose any data.

#5 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

the way i do the copy is from a usb3 to the sata2 hd [ sata2 or sata 6Go/s : what is the right name ? ] so the usb stick has sent all is data and should be removed without troubles...

winnt and later with its memory system and when it does a copy is "unstoppable" ...sometimes that can be a pain because of the wrong file or fragmented hds...

no way to see that except using the taskmngr...[ i mean hd led is not very clear about reading and copying...and is turned on when pc goes of..]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users