#776 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:32 AM

I mean that now I can see debloat and winreduce "working together".

I tried powershell.exe in the location u indicated and it causes an error in expression in win_debloat_x64.exe at line 13724

#777 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:37 AM

Just keep PowerShell in your Installation, it is a very useful Tool ....

In that case there is no problem ....

• antonino61 likes this

#778 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2021 - 11:15 AM

my dear wimb, i did find the solution, thanx 2 process explorer that gave me the missing dlls from \windows\system32. once I copied them there, all it has taken was to junction my portable powershell to the location u indicated for debloat to run ok. now I will try the new version and let u know in a bit.

#779 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:07 PM

Final Result After using   Win10_21H2 x64 ISO  and  WinNTSetup

and  Win_Debloat-32  and  Win_Reduce_Trusted-52 and VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-65

Update Manual:   VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf

Mini-10x64 -  UsedSize in VHD = 1.69 GB - 19.112 files, 3.631 folders Size on Disk 1.55 GB

Mini-10x64_2021-12-29_130412.jpg == Win_Debloat_2021-12-29_122509.jpg

:cheers:

#780 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:48 PM

working perfectly, with a few adjustments concering only my system (had to keep wm*.dll's in system32). my result is "not bad", considering what I have to keep, for a used space of 2.2gb. 

• wimb likes this

#781 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:13 PM

working perfectly, with a few adjustments concering only my system (had to keep wm*.dll's in system32). my result is "not bad", considering what I have to keep, for a used space of 2.2gb. 

Thanks for testing  :)  and I agree UsedSize = 2.2 GB is not bad  ;)

• antonino61 likes this

#782 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:41 PM

u have no idea how often process explorer has enabled me to do the patching.

#783 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:49 PM

u have no idea how often process explorer has enabled me to do the patching.

Can you tell more on how you use process explorer ?

• antonino61 likes this

#784 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:20 PM

sure! upon any suspicion that the deletion might be lethal, I copy the target vhd someplace else, to be sure; after running winreducer, I integrate the famous manifest folder the way I explained many a time before and then I check my "vital" software to see if it works. if it does not, I copy the safe vhd back to another name and run it. then while this is online, I run the culprit software which obviously works this time and then while it is open i run process explorer and have the dll list in the lower pane. I then unselect all columns but path. what I obtain is a text file wih the list of windows\system32\*.dll (these are the most important ones, so I delete whatever other filetypes). then I replace all "c:\" with "copy c:\" and all ".dll" with ".dll d:\desktop\[softwarename]dll" and save the textfile as cmd. I then run the cmd which fills [softwarename]dll with all dll's that will be copied to the original (ex-culprit) vhd's system32 folder to restore the functionality that was lost.

this procedure will be repeated with all other pieces of software that do not work.

if some passage is unclear, do not hesitate to ask me, I will be more than willing to contribute.

• wimb likes this

#785 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:32 PM

Interesting  :)

I will try Process Explorer the way you described.

Can you tell what were the missing System32 files in your case where PowerShell failed and where you solved the issue by adding these files.

Then I will do similar test with missing System32 files.

• antonino61 likes this

#786 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:56 PM

all in all, we can consider process explorer nothing other than an interface between theoretical suspicion and real-world certainty.

to be accurate, the software that missed the dll u r alluding to is win debloat, not powershell. powershell was somewhat "in the middle" of the process. here is a pic of what u have asked:

Attached Thumbnails

• debloatdll.png

#787 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2021 - 04:04 PM

one caveat, before I forget: I have a feeling that this process explorer inquiry is necessarily contextual. the list contains not the files that the software absolutely needs, but the files the software relies upon to work in that system. I would not frown at getting an albeit slightly different list on another build or system.

#788 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 December 2021 - 04:27 PM

Sure I can see now in my case also the list of System32  dll files used by powershell.exe

I think Process Explorer might be useful to find out in general what big System32 files can be removed for reducing UsedSize ....

I will try tomorrow ....

#789 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2021 - 04:35 PM

I am afraid u need a keep_system32 file and related selection point in tne menu mask. I would work on the keeping stage rather than on the removing stage. but, of course, I'll leave it up 2 u. I can extend the prob to resmon.exe, which needs odbc32.dll (I was lucky to spot it so precisely a couple of minutes ago and remember telling u once that resmon woud not open from your system info). I mean I have several lists that I keep just in case, so should u have any doubts just ask. 

#790 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 31 December 2021 - 05:50 AM

Update Download:  from wimb GitHub  -  Win_Debloat-33

Download File E = Encrypted PassWord = bootwimb

Update Manual:   VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf   - Download:  Win10_21H2 x64 ISO and  Win11 ISO from Microsoft

- Win_Debloat - Changed remove-optional-features.ps1 PowerShell script to Remove Optional Features

Script can Remove any Enabled Windows Optional Feature and can Remove any Installed Windows Capability

e.g. Un-Install Windows Hello Face, Math Recognizer, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player and more ....

Result is given in folder Debloat_Lists - In my case Begin_List_Features_10.txt and End_List_Features_10.txt

After Win_Debloat then Reboot is Required to Make Effective Un-Install e.g. of Internet Explorer and Math Recognizer 

remove-optional-features.ps1 - Removes Enabled Windows Optional Feature - except those with leading #

# "Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features"
    "Printing-XPSServices-Features"
    "WCF-Services45"                             # Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
    "WCF-TCP-PortSharing45"
    "MediaPlayback"
    "WindowsMediaPlayer"
    "Windows-Defender-Default-Definitions"
    "SearchEngine-Client-Package"
    "MSRDC-Infrastructure"                       # MS Remote Desktop Client
    "WorkFolders-Client"
    # "Printing-Foundation-Features"
    # "Printing-Foundation-InternetPrinting-Client"
    # "MicrosoftWindowsPowerShellV2Root"
    # "MicrosoftWindowsPowerShellV2"
    "NetFx4-AdvSrvs"                             # .NET Framework 4.5 update to .NET Framework 4
    "SMB1Protocol"
    "SMB1Protocol-Client"                        # Server Message Block (SMB) version 1
    "SMB1Protocol-Deprecation"
    "Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64"

=

remove-optional-features.ps1 - Removes Installed Windows Capabilities - except those with leading #

"App.StepsRecorder*"
    "App.Support.QuickAssist*"
    "Browser.InternetExplorer*"
    "DirectX.Configuration.Database*"
    "Hello.Face*"
    # "Language.Basic*"
    "Language.Handwriting*"
    "Language.OCR*"
    "Language.TextToSpeech*"
    "MathRecognizer*"
    "Media.WindowsMediaPlayer*"
    # "Microsoft.Windows.MSPaint*"
    # "Microsoft.Windows.Notepad*"
    # "Microsoft.Windows.PowerShell.ISE*"
    # "Microsoft.Windows.WordPad*"
    "OneCoreUAP.OneSync*"                        # OneSync - mail, contacts, and calendar sync component
    # "OpenSSH.Client*"
    "Print.Fax.Scan*"
    # "Windows.Client.ShellComponents*"          # Windows Feature Experience Pack - Critical - Do not remove this package

:newyear:  :cheers:  :juggler:  I think Win_Debloat is a lot easier to use and faster than MSMG Toolkit ....

• alacran and antonino61 like this

#791 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 December 2021 - 09:56 AM

Though (luckily) I have not (yet) to deal with the stupid Windows 10 (I know that the time will soon come :( and probably I will need a crash course on it), it seems to me like exceptionally good news that it can be easily debloated thanks to your script(s) :thumbsup: .

I wonder if it would be possible adding to each line a simple description (possibly prepended by a separator *like* # or a §) as while some lines are self-explaining, some are (at least to my old eyes, not used to the stupid OS) cryptic, example:

"WindowsMediaPlayer" <- self-explaining

"MSRDC-Infrastructure" <- what (the heck) is this?  :w00t:

Anyway, thanks for the good work, it is good to know that people still fight against the bloat. :)

:duff:

Wonko

• wimb and antonino61 like this

#792 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 31 December 2021 - 10:08 AM

"MSRDC-Infrastructure" <- what (the heck) is this?  :w00t:

Sure, we need more explanation for the  Windows Optional Feature and Windows Capabilities that we want to keep Or wish to Un-Install

Learning myself just now how to deal with these things and a PowerShell script ....

I found that MSRDC stands for MS Remote Desktop Client .....

and SMB1Protocol stands for Server Message Block (SMB) version 1 ...... Indeed very cryptic ..... Thanks for your support  :)

and  WCF-Services45  stands for Windows Communication Foundation - WCF

NetFx4-AdvSrvs means .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services

OneCoreUAP.OneSync - OneSync Feature on Demand is a mail, contacts, and calendar sync component

Above Features seem to me unneeded for Mini-10x64   :)

Windows.Client.ShellComponents - Windows Feature Experience Pack

This Feature on Demand package includes features critical to Windows functionality. Do not remove this package.

#793 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 December 2021 - 11:17 AM

I think Win_Debloat is a lot easier to use and faster than MSMG Toolkit ....

I think so 2, physically speaking; logically speaking, pls let me see if it has had any impact on the registry, unless u already know if it has or hasn't.

#794 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 December 2021 - 12:06 PM

win debloat works fine. btw, I suggest that u should keep all *dll folders someplace, lest u should reintegrate \windows\system32 to restore any software to its usual functionality now and then. that is how I have been going about, as there is no telling which software "universally" wants which dll in which system or build in advance. I wish we could do it on an a-priori basis, but since it is not the case, let us make our a-posteriori contributions and hope for better times or ideas.

#795 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 31 December 2021 - 12:17 PM

I think Win_Debloat allthough designed primarily for making Mini-10x64 in VHD,

can become of general use to Debloat quickly Windows 10x64 Or 11x64 OS.

Windows 10x64 has a very good core for Install of Drivers for any Hardware and is also very good for booting from USB.

At the same time it very bad considering the Telemetry and overload with unwanted Apps and Features.

Win_Debloat in future can help to quickly Debloat the OS  :)

#796 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 December 2021 - 01:25 PM

So, u think running the toolkit ahead of the debloater and reducer or not makes no difference?

#797 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 January 2022 - 08:49 AM

LoadedDllsView displays the list of all DLL files loaded by the running processes

It is very useful to determine what DLL files can be removed from System32 folder in making Mini-10x64

The picture shows how all the 107 processes in Mini-10x64 need 1241 Loaded DLL files with 720 System32 DLL files

2004_Mini_DLL_2022-01-03_092433.jpg

• antonino61 likes this

#798 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 January 2022 - 01:43 PM

so we also need a keep_system32.txt to be operational in the winreducing process, as has been the case with keep_syswow64.txt.

#799 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 January 2022 - 03:24 PM

so we also need a keep_system32.txt to be operational in the winreducing process, as has been the case with keep_syswow64.txt.

That would be nice, but we don't know exactly what is on this list .....

Yes, I get more info on what System32 DLL files are loaded, so these must definitely be on the list.

But, what else is needed on this list for bootable Mini-10x64.vhd that must have good working basic functionality .......

• antonino61 likes this

#800 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 January 2022 - 04:06 PM

i was thinking about the same thing. we do know what is needed for the start, we do know what is needed on a per-program basis (dll lists made lately via process explorer, for instance), but we do not know what else, or rather , what can safely be deleted. it is still better than nothing, in the sense that what we know is needed can be part of the list and made to stay in the \windows\system32 root - no harm in putting them on the list. 

btw, in the meantime, I have also tried deleting registry entries concerning what is no longer there in the vhd, and here is what I have found so far: from an online registry,

all edge, internet explorer, internetexplorer, office, defrag, dfrgui, restore, hyperv, mail, sidebar, cloudstore, cloud store, dvr, pointofservice, history, pricache, wbem, softwaredistribution and locallow entries

can safely be deleted

if hyper-v, history and backup entries are deleted,

the system will not complete bootup.

that is about it. all this has yielded a 12% (well, even 15% in the end) shrinking of the registry.

hey, wimb, do u want the old registry and the new registry? would it help u any?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ramdisk, grub4dos, wimlib, svbus, windows 10, ssd, usb, wim, vhd, wimboot

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users