7 replies to this topic

#1 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:47 PM

Question relating to TinyKRNL?

I'm not entirely convinced I have posted this in the right RebootPro section but if it is the wrong section can someone, with the right authority, move it for me and I will extend my apologies at the outset if I am in the wrong pigeon hole, its the nearest I could come up with?

This question has probably been flogged to death but can someone enlighten me a little as to what the heck is TinyKRNL. I've found various web-sites who have been involved with the project, RebootPro included, I think ReactOS in the early days have come up with some SVN details trying to make it open source I'm guessing tinynightly.7z. Has it evolved to open-source or is it closed-source or a mixture of both, are there forks involved etc?

I have gotten hold of two TinyKRNL dsk image files (1.4Mb's) & a multiboot 'iso' called TinyKRNL dualboot.iso WinServer2003 Disk1.ima/WinServer2003 Disk2.ima which are difficult to get hold of but for my part I am failing to get a handle on this it all seems a bit confusing. Is it a stab at pre-win7 MinWin, not really sure if Vista had MINWIN contained therin? So is it a type of Minwin for XP or a type of Recovery Console maybe or a hybrid of several OS's?

Also what do you get with it, is it commandline (like XP's recovery Console, or could it be like XP's RC?) or is it its own commandline without CMD, or in fact could it be neither. Can you add a open source CMD or somekind of Gui's to it. More importantly has it evolved to a usable state?

& then to add to confused.com there appears to be a thing called Native Shell not sure where this fits in to the proceedings either.

Can it be used today in light of SATA Hdd's etc or is the project really a dead duck? My apologies for all the rambling questions but just trying to clarify the projects intentions, reasons & potential? It seems like like one of those projects that generates more questions than answers, well for someone like me that very often resides in a black hole, it does??

Maybe, one too many questions I know

All the Best Regards

I unsure.png

P.S. Give a man a fish and he will be back for more. Slap him with a fish and he will go away forever. Sorry, I found this quote ReaLLy fUnnY?

P.P.S - As a special request for a Reboot user that goes by the handle of Burnt_toast & anyone else who drops onto this post see attachment for TinyKRNL dualboot.iso. The attachment is listed as a .txt file. Download test with your Antivirus and rename to TinyKRNL dualboot.iso

Attached Files

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 January 2022 - 05:59 PM

Consider (loosely) TinyKRNL as a "better" Recovery Console, capable of running "native" applications, it was shutdown something like 2007:

https://web.archive....//tinykrnl.org/

https://web.archive....g/about_faq.htm

Old news/thread on reboot.pro:

http://reboot.pro/in...?showtopic=2681

:duff:

Wonko

#3 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 07:27 PM

Thanks Wonko those links certainly clear the mist paticularly the rebootpro link :D

So if it was a better "Recovery console" on that merit alone "A retorical question here", I wonder why it was not taken any further forward, the 'simulatedreality' member seemed to be quite enthusiastic both in resources wanting to take over the project even though a few cautionary warnings needed to be issued in his/her direction.

And

It wasn't an open source project it seems as I originally thought. Certain things for some reason do not gain traction it appears, but again thanks for the information it is appreciated.

Best Regards :thumbsup:

I

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:09 PM

JFYI, it was somehow, but its derivative was also promptly abandoned:

http://reboot.pro/in...?showtopic=3537

More or less the whole stuff was on the shoulders of a handful of people, that have (understandably IMHO) moved on.

Wonko

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:15 PM

P.S. Give a man a fish and he will be back for more. Slap him with a fish and he will go away forever. Sorry, I found this quote ReaLLy fUnnY?

That is  a MontyPython classic (again JFYI), third fastest growing sport in 300 countries:

essentially:

Wonko

• ZEE likes this

#6 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:21 PM

Hi Wonko :clap: :loleverybody:

:rofle:

The Fishy tales are always the best tales, you crack me up Wonko!! Remind me never to be on the receiving end of a competent "Fish slapper" or for that matter any ole "slapper" LOL :go_fish:

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day,

Teach a man to "phish" and he'll empty an old woman's savings account.

As you can see I am easily entertained!

Best Regards,

I :fish:

• ZEE likes this

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 January 2022 - 12:23 PM

Am image is worth a thousand words:

https://tenor.com/vi...en-gif-20599048

Wonko

#8 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:58 PM

Hi W ;) nko,

A thousand words yes & also as many questions which is not too remote from post #1 in respect of TinyKRNL, "one of those projects that generates more questions than answers" you've got to question the motive in the link you have provided?

Ouch!

What some people will do for 15 Minutes of fame Eh, Fancy sitting on a chair with your back to someone that is about to smack you on the bonce with what can be described as an mini offspring of Jaws.  What you have here is the un-holy union of a masochist & a sadist who have planned & recorded the footage for our benefit, go slapstick-figger.

I also like the footage where a fish leaps across the screen & slaps what is presumably a fisherman in a boat, it strikes him across the face before landing back in the water, Karma Hats OFF to the fish.  :D 

I do hope this subject is not 2 :offtopic: & a more senior Mod waiting in the wings doesn't slap the cuffs on.

All the Best,

I :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users