Photo
- - - - -

USB Format Tool and UEFI_MULTI

iso linux wim vhd grub4dos grub2 boot manager format usb

Best Answer wimb , 17 December 2020 - 09:05 AM

Update USB_FORMAT-63 and UEFI_MULTI-63 plus Addons and VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-65

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   USB_FORMAT-63 and UEFI_MULTI-63

and  VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-65 and Win_Reduce_Trusted-52 and SVBus_INST_Trusted-20  and Win_Debloat-28

Download File E = Encrypted Password = bootwimb   -   Always Disable Windows Defender when working with signed SVBus driver !!

Manual:  VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf  to make Mini 7/8/10 x64 in VHD with UsedSize about 2 GB

- Added UEFI Grub4dos  and  a1ive UEFI Grub2 for UEFI booting Mini 7/8/10 x64 VHD from RAMDISK - Use Super UEFI setting for UEFI Secure booting
- Added signed SVBus driver for UEFI booting VHD from RAMDISK

Credits and Thanks to:

synchronicity aka Eric Biggers for making wimlib

schtrom for making SVBus Virtual SCSI Host Adapter for GRUB4DOS - signed SVBus driver
a1ive for making UEFI Grub2
yaya2007 and a1ive for making UEFI Grub4dos aka Grub4efi or G4E

a1ive for making Grub2 File Manager

- ventoy for making Linux vDisk Boot Plugin that allows to use Grub2 vdiskchain to boot Linux VHD
alacran for help and support and testing and initialising several important topics
- liuzhaoyzz for help in solving boot_image_handle not found problem in case of UEFI Grub4dos

cdob for making WinSxS_reduce
ValdikSS for making Super UEFIinSecureBoot Disk v3 - More Info on UEFI Secure booting Grub2

chenall, yaya, tinybit and Bean for making Grub4dos

JFX for making WinNTSetup and WofCompress

- Pauly for making BOOTICE

- Mattwatti for making EfiGuard to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement DSE

- erwan.l for making offlinereg
- Nir Sofer for making AdvancedRun (64-bit)
- Sordum for making Defender Control  and  Windows Update Blocker  and  PowerRun  and  Firewall App Blocker

and everyone else that has contributed to these topics - W4RH4WK Debloat PowerShell scripts

and to Erwan.l and Nuno Brito for keeping alive this forum, sometimes called an old lady ....  ;)

More Info:  VHD_WIMBOOT Mini 7/8/10 x64  and   Grub4dos for UEFI aka GRUB4EFI Or G4E

[attachment=17676:USB_FORMAT_51_2020-12-17_103331.jpg] == [attachment=17677:UEFI_MULTI_51_2020-12-17_103534.jpg] == VHD_WIMBOOT_47_2021-01-04_100522.jpg == Win_Reduce_38_2020-11-30_125950.jpg == UEFI_RAMOS_10_2020-12-26_133815.jpg == UEFI_USB_2020-12-26_101643.jpg == W11x64_2021-10-03_145700.jpg == W11x64_WB_2021-10-03_153529.jpg == Mini-11x64_RAMDISK_2021-10-03_154502.jpg

:cheers:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#51 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:35 AM

OK  :)

Indeed if Mint UEFI is selected as Grub2 Manager then menu entry must be present to select UEFI Grub4dos for UEFI booting from RAMDISK

Thank you for finding this bug that I will repair soon ....

Never tested this combination, but of course all possibilities must work correctly.

In fact Mint UEFI Grub2 Manager + UEFI Grub4dos can be quite interesting,

since it might provide UEFI Secure booting of UEFI Grub4dos in a very simple lightweight way ....

(without using the addon and without the need to use MokManager)

EDIT: I can say that UEFI Secure booting Mint UEFI Grub2 does not allow to chainload UEFI Grub4dos.

It means the idea given above does not work ...., bu fortunately we can boot with Super UEFI and chainload a1ive Grub2 in UEFI Secure mode

#52 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:08 PM

Indeed if Mint UEFI is selected as Grub2 Manager then menu entry must be present to select UEFI Grub4dos for UEFI booting from RAMDISK

Thank you for finding this bug that I will repair soon ....

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   USB_FORMAT-51 and UEFI_MULTI-51  and  VHD_WIMBOOT-41

The issues have been fixed and UEFI Grub4dos menu entry will appear also when Mint UEFI is selected as Grub2 Manager

Improved UEFI Grub4dos menu  file \EFI\grub\menu.lst for case of Win10XPE_x64.ISO

• alacran likes this

#53 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:31 PM

EDIT: I can say that UEFI Secure booting Mint UEFI Grub2 does not allow to chainload UEFI Grub4dos.

It means the idea given above does not work ...., bu fortunately we can boot with Super UEFI and chainload a1ive Grub2 in UEFI Secure mode

In my case having Secure Boot disabled it loads UEFI Grub4dos fine and I can boot fine certain small items as Mini-10-UEFI-WB.vhd (1.1 GB 2 Wimboot) MBR (Active FAT32 64 MB + rest NTFS) but when tested a 2046 MB VHD it didn't load to Ram. Message is:

out of map memory: 8000000000000009
Boot_image_handle not found

Press any key to coninue....

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   USB_FORMAT-51 and UEFI_MULTI-51  and  VHD_WIMBOOT-41

The issues have been fixed and UEFI Grub4dos menu entry will appear also when Mint UEFI is selected as Grub2 Manager

Improved UEFI Grub4dos menu  file \EFI\grub\menu.lst for case of Win10XPE_x64.ISO

Does this mean you can run it now with Secure Boot enabled?

alacran

#54 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:25 PM

Does this mean you can run it now with Secure Boot enabled?

UEFI Grub4dos needs UEFI Secure Diabled, but for that case Mint UEFI will show now UEFI Grub4dos menu entry.

With Secure Boot Enabled then UEFI Grub4dos does not boot from Mint UEFI.

Mint UEFI supports only a very limited number of modules for booting in UEFI Secure mode.

#55 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 19 December 2020 - 08:33 AM

Tested it and saw your changes, thanks for the quick fix.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#56 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:58 PM

Update USB_FORMAT-52 and UEFI_MULTI-52 plus the Addon-agFM files

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   USB_FORMAT-52 and UEFI_MULTI-52  and  VHD_WIMBOOT-42 and Win_Reduce_Trusted-40

Download File E = Encrypted Password = bootwimb

Manual:  VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf

- Update 2020-12-23 Grub2  and Grub2 FileManager and UEFI Grub4dos and Grub4dos -  grub4dos-for_UEFI-2020-12-15.7z  and  grub4dos-0.4.6a-2020-08-09.7z

- Added support ntfs_x64.efi driver for UEFI booting from RAMDISK VHD having 1 NTFS partition (does not work for me) -  refind-cd-0.11.4.zip

- Improved Grub2 Menu so that x64 and ia32 UEFI entries are not mixed anymore

Grub2 now supports efiload module needed to load ntfs_x64.efi driver needed for using 1 partition VHD as RAMOS

In my case VHD with MBR 2 Partitions which does not use ntfs_x64.efi driver is working quite well as RAMOS and 1 partition VHD cannot be used.

:newyear:

• alacran likes this

#57 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:53 AM

Update UEFI_MULTI-52-E

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   UEFI_MULTI-52-E  and  VHD_WIMBOOT-42-E

- VHD entry in Grub4dos menu.lst is made now by UEFI_MULTI also when SVBus driver is not yet present

- warning is given for missing SVBus driver and instructions are given on how to Install signed SVBus driver

- Encrypted Download needed for signed SVBus driver

#58 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:45 AM

Grub2 now supports efiload module needed to load ntfs_x64.efi driver needed for using 1 partition VHD as RAMOS

In my case VHD with MBR 2 Partitions which does not use ntfs_x64.efi driver is working quite well as RAMOS and 1 partition VHD cannot be used.

:newyear:

Tested with 2 Wimboot VHDs, single partition and 2 partitions:

1. The 2 partitions VHD Ramboots fine with UEFI grub2 and UEFI grub4dos, also boots fine with Win bootmgfw.efi
  2. The single partition VHD Ramboots fine only from UEFI grub2, obviously is not capable to boot from bootmgfw.efi
  3. The single partition VHD Ramboots fine from UEFI grub4dos if booting directly with it.

If chainloading to it from UEFI grub2 it seems then UEFI grub4dos DO NOT load the ntfs_x64.efi driver, and also DO NOT load the VHD to Ram, and then bootmgfw.efi tries to boot it and I got a BSOD, as the boot files/folders are not running from a FAT-32 partition.

But since it Ramboots fine on No. 3, it seems UEFI grub2 is causing the issue, perhapss it is using the same location on Ram that UEFI grub4dos wants to use to load the ntfs_x64.efi driver and then it fails.

I think our friend a1ive may check if this is the cause of the problem.

alacran

#59 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 December 2020 - 10:18 AM

On my previous test the 2 partitions VHD was 1.06 GB and the single partition VHD was 1.5 GB.

This time the single partition VHD is 1 GB, and it Rambooted fine when chainloading to UEFI grub4dos, this probes there is some files loaded on Ram from UEFI grub2 interfering with the UEFI grub4dos process.

alacran

#60 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 December 2020 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for testing alacran  :) 

I have been testing with Mini10x64 Compact LZX VHD 3 GB with MBR and 1 or 2 partitions.

In case of 1 partition VHD then I can see that ntfs_x64.efi driver is loaded and also the VHD is loaded into memory, but RAMOS VHD fails to boot using UEFI Grub2 Or UEFI Grub4dos.

In case of 2 partition VHD then ntfs_x64.efi is not used and not needed and RAMOS VHD is booting fine both with UEFI Grub2 and with UEFI Grub4dos.

My conclusion is that the 2 partition VHD is more compatible with UEFI booting VHD as RAMOS.

The 1 and 2 partition VHD are UEFI booting fine from Windows Boot Manager menu as FILEDISK.

#61 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 December 2020 - 10:28 AM

Agree with you, the 2 partitions VHD is more versatile and my preferred option, without any doubt.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#62 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 December 2020 - 10:43 AM

If chainloading to it from UEFI grub2 it seems then UEFI grub4dos DO NOT load the ntfs_x64.efi driver, and also DO NOT load the VHD to Ram, and then bootmgfw.efi tries to boot it and I got a BSOD, as the boot files/folders are not running from a FAT-32 partition.

Maybe the driver was loaded but not the VHD.

In case of 1 partition VHD then I can see that ntfs_x64.efi driver is loaded and also the VHD is loaded into memory, but RAMOS VHD fails to boot using UEFI Grub2 Or UEFI Grub4dos.

The different behaviours we got on single partition VHD, may be caused for diferences on firmware and/or installed Ram.

But it is a fact the 2 partitions VHD booted fine on our two PCs.

alacran

#63 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:52 PM

I have been testing with Mini10x64 Compact LZX VHD 3 GB with MBR and 1 or 2 partitions.

I repeated the experiment, but now testing Mini10x64 WIM Applied Normal to 5 GB VHD with MBR and 1 Partition.

This time RAMOS 1 partition VHD is booting fine using ntfs_x64.efi driver and UEFI Grub2 Or UEFI Grub4dos.

We need of course a solution that is compatible with WOF Compression and that is RAMOS in MBR 2 Partition VHD UEFI booting with UEFI Grub2 Or UEFI Grub4dos

:cheers:    :newyear:

EDIT:  Good News - Compact LZX and WimBoot 1  Partition VHD using ntfs_x64.efi is working OK for UEFI Grub2 and for UEFI Grub4dos.  :)

I solved the problem by using WOF_Compress_Trusted.cmd to UnCompress the entire EFI folder inside VHD.

Before this treatment only EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD was UnCompressed which is not enough for booting in UEFI mode from RAMDISK.

We can solve it by modifying VHD_WIMBOOT-42\makebt\WimBootCompress.ini and use in [PrepopulateList] Section

\EFI\*

• alacran likes this

#64 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:08 AM

Good news my friend, it is good you found the cause of this issue.

I didn't have that issue because I was creating the boot files/folders on all my tests manually, and the files/folders were created uncompressed.

This means our good felow JFX was right when he put Boot and EFI full content folders under [PrepopulateList] Section, we better update our custom WimBootCompress.ini file to avoid this issue.

By the way I think 100 MB for the Fat-32 is too much wasted space, if 32 Mb could be enough, but I'm still using 64 MB.

We where looking for the MINI-OS, then the smallests the FAT-32 the better.

alacran

#65 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:26 AM

Update UEFI_MULTI-52-E and VHD_WIMBOOT-43-E

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   UEFI_MULTI-52-E  and  VHD_WIMBOOT-43-E

- Added WofCompress of JFX to UnCompress EFI folder inside VHD when Making Boot entries

- EFI folder in VHD needs to be UnCompressed in case of UEFI booting 1 Partition VHD from RAMDISK
- makebt\WimBootCompress.ini file adjusted so that entire EFI and Boot folder will be UnCompressed after Capture and Apply in Compact and WimBoot mode

In my case ntfs_x64.efi driver is not needed anymore for UEFI booting of 1 Partition VHD from RAMDISK using UEFI Grub2 Or UEFI Grub4dos

The boot problem of 1 Partition VHD was entirely due to WOF Compression of EFI folder and this problem is solved now.

Also in case of 2 Partition VHD the UEFI Grub4dos boot problem is caused by WOF Compression of EFI folder in NTFS partition,

whereas UEFI Grub2 is not sensitive to such WOF Compressed EFI folder.

We solved the UEFI Grub4dos problem by renaming as x-EFI, but the UEFI Grub4dos problem can also be solved by UnCompression of EFI folder.

Conclusion: WOF Compression of EFI folder is the cause of boot problems in UEFI booting from RAMDISK and UnCompression of EFI folder solves these boot problems.

:cheers:   :newyear:

UEFI_RAMOS_10_2020-12-26_133815.jpg

• alacran likes this

#66 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:53 PM

In my case ntfs_x64.efi driver is not needed anymore for UEFI booting of 1 Partition VHD from RAMDISK using UEFI Grub2 Or UEFI Grub4dos

Then your PC firmware has not only FAT driver, but also has NTFS driver.

Just tested removing the line to load the ntfs_x64.efi, and in my case the VHD file is loaded fine to Ram, but it do not Boot.

Which means my PC firmware only has FAT driver.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#67 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:03 PM

Then your PC firmware has not only FAT driver, but also has NTFS driver.

Just tested removing the line to load the ntfs_x64.efi, and in my case the VHD file is loaded fine to Ram, but it do not Boot.

Which means my PC firmware only has FAT driver.

Ok, good to know that in your case the ntfs_x64.efi driver is functional.

Gradually we get more knowledge about UEFI booting from RAMDISK .....

#68 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:23 PM

Yes, so far the only way is experimenting ourself, as all this is new.

EDIT: And also reading other people experiences, that's why I'm reading every day all new posts on: http://bbs.wuyou.net...read&tid=422652

alacran

• wimb likes this

#69 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:25 AM

Update UEFI_MULTI-52-E and VHD_WIMBOOT-43-E

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   UEFI_MULTI-52-E  and  VHD_WIMBOOT-43-E

- use WofCompress to UnCompress EFI and Boot folder inside VHD instead of renaming as x-EFI and x-Boot

UnCompressed EFI folder inside VHD is needed for booting 2 Partition VHD from RAMDISK using UEFI Grub4dos aka G4E

More Info: here

#70 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:32 AM

- use WofCompress to UnCompress EFI and Boot folder inside VHD instead of renaming as x-EFI and x-Boot

UnCompressed EFI folder inside VHD is needed for booting 2 Partition VHD from RAMDISK using UEFI Grub4dos aka G4E

More Info: here

Excuseme my friend but I disagree with this.  It is possible it may work fine for you because your PC firmware has NTFS driver, but it do not apply on all cases, it is more common the UEFI firmwares only have FAT drivers.

Let me put it this way:

Using UEFI grub4dos version 2020-12-15 (first version that optionally allows to load ntfs_x64.efi driver):

On two partitions VHDs having both folders as real size files on FAT-32 partition is enough.

And if we have those folders on the NTFS partition and using UEFI grub4dos version upto 2020-12-15 the boot will fail, because it starts looking for EFI folder on last partition (NTFS) first, unless (I assume as I can't test it) the user PC has NTFS driver on its firmware (which is your case).

On single NTFS partition VHDs, both folders require to have real size files and depending if the user PC do not has NTFS driver on its firmware, also load first the ntfs_x64.efi is required.

Using UEFI grub4dos version 2020-12-26, (not released yet) please see this post and the next one.

On two partitions VHDs. Boot and EFI folders can exists having real size files, on FAT-32 and on NTFS partition without any issues as now this version is coded to start looking for EFI folder on the active partition FAT-32 (in this case), first (not on the NTFS as before), and the folders on NTFS partition are totally unnecessary and a waste of espace if we have two partitions, because they are not used.

On single NTFS partition VHDs. the conditions remain the same as on older versions: both folders require to be real files and depending if the user PC do not has NTFS driver on its firmware, also load first the ntfs_x64.efi is required.

NOTE: In all cases files have to be not compressed, or real files and no pointers in the case of Wimboot installs.

alacran

#71 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:57 AM

Excuseme my friend but I disagree with this.  It is possible it may work fine for you because your PC firmware has NTFS driver, but it do not apply on all cases, it is more common the UEFI firmwares only have FAT drivers.

UnCompressed EFI folder is a necessary conditition, but for some firmware additionally loading ntfs_x64.efi driver is necessary in case of 1 Partition VHD.

UEFI_MULTI and VHD_WIMBOOT take care to make menu entries valid for all firmware by loading always ntfs_x64.efi driver in case of 1 Partition VHD.

Extensive testing has shown that WOF Compression of EFI folder is the main culprit causing boot_image_handle not found.

UEFI_MULTI and VHD_WIMBOOT take care always to UnCompress EFI folder in NTFS partition of VHD.

#72 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:32 AM

Maybe i didn't expressed it clear enough, what I mean is:

In case of two partition VHDs:

Your programs last version still have UEFI grub4dos version 2020-12-15 and that version starts looking for the EFI folder on NTFS partition and will not boot on PCs with only FAT driver if there is an EFI folder on NTFS partition even if all its files are uncompressed.

There is a new test version UEFI grub4dos version 2020-12-26 that will be released soon, which is recoded to start looking for the EFI folder on the FAT-32 partition, just tested it having EFI folder uncompressed on both partitions and it boots fine on my firmware with only FAT driver.

On two partion VHDs in the old version the EFI folder on the NTFS partition is a cause of problems when not having NTFS driver, and in the new version it will be totally unnecesary, then why have it?

On the new version only in the case of a single NTFS partition EFI content is read from the NTFS partition.

alacran

#73 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:47 AM

Sure I know that the new test version of UEFI Grub4dos is better since in case of 2 Partition VHD it will use EFI folder of FAT32 partition, instead of EFI folder of NTFS partition.

As soon as the new test version is officially released I will add it to the programs.

UEFI_MULTI and VHD_WIMBOOT with the new approach to UnCompress always EFI folder in NTFS partition of VHD will work with any version of UEFI grub4dos

#74 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:52 AM

Your programs last version still have UEFI grub4dos version 2020-12-15 and that version starts looking for the EFI folder on NTFS partition and will not boot on PCs with only FAT driver if there is an EFI folder on NTFS partition even if all its files are uncompressed.

Just tested this and I'm right, I got the boot_image_hande not found, so please on two partitions VHDs do not add the EFI folder on NTFS.

alacran

#75 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:01 AM

Just tested this and I'm right, I got the boot_image_hande not found, so please on two partitions VHDs do not add the EFI folder on NTFS.

Did you re-download and test latest UEFI_MULTI-52 Or VHD_WIMBOOT-43 to make menu entries ?

latest UEFI_MULTI-52 has date 28-12-2020 06:33

What is the WOF Status report of your EFI folder in NTFS partition of VHD ?

The EFI folder inside VHD is made already by WinNTSetup and to remove it requires Trusted Installer.

The present approach in UEFI_MULTI and VHD_WIMBOOT is to make that EFI folder functional

and to use WofCompress as Trusted Installer for  UnCompression of that EFI folder.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iso, linux, wim, vhd, grub4dos, grub2, boot manager, format, usb

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users