#1 Tramd

Tramd
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hey,

Been looking around for a few days, decided to make a post. I have an idea for a project I'd like to work on. Essentially a multiboot disk for utilities like memtest, seatools, acronis, minixp etc. What I really want to do is develop a program to run automated scans, one after the other after choosing which, then collect the log files and output the results. Been trying to figure out which route i should go. Anyone have any thoughts? Or maybe there's a similar project I havent stumbled on yet.

Anyways, just saying hi >.>

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

http://www.passmark....roducts/bit.htm

#3 Tramd

Tramd
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

Handy looking program, I'll have to check it out. Not really what I was looking for though

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Can you be a bit more specific on what you ARE looking for?

For example, Are you thinking of putting in a CD/DVD/USB, and booting the machine to run a set of tests? If so, then would it run all of them all the time, or would it need some sort of uber-control like environment? If so, how would it know how long to let a test like memtest continue, since it needs to be interrupted? Similar for other tests that might need some sort of keyboard input to cycle through the available drives, etc.

If (on the other hand), you are just looking for a framework to collect them all in one place so you can select the tool when the machine is booted, there are tools and tips for making a "multi-boot" environment using grub4dos or other "front-ends"...

But in either case WELCOME!

#5 Tramd

Tramd
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

I see what you mean for program like memtest as it needs to be interrupted. Hardware scans aside, I was thinking of a custom menu for software scanners, allowing you to select a few to run in succession. Say, ccleaner > MWB > Spybot > Avira > Defragment. I've started looking into which programs have CLI options that i can use with batch scripts to automate a process. Of course I'd love to make it a bit more sophisticated than that, perhaps a GUI. Have to start somewhere though

#6 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Look at Windows Post Install Wizard (http://www.wpiw.net/home.html) ...while it is geared more to post-installation, it has a nice "hypertext" driven GUI and can run a lot of things based on selections. Then adding it to a PE would be simple...Just copy it as "additional files", and if necessary, create a shortcut to the "HTA"...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users