Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

About USB3:
You should disable "automatic reboot on error" (or whatever the setting is) in order to be able to read the actual BSOD STOP ERROR.
It is likely to be 0x0000007b, though.
"Installing" the drivers in Windows is not normally "enough" to have them working when booting.
Compare with:
http://reboot.pro/16769/
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24566
(no "ready made" solution that I can remember for the PWboot, but it is possible that service groups in a "standard install" are not "as they should be, as well it could be an incompatibility with actual hardware).

I presume :ph34r: that the Windows Update issue to be connected to the exact way the USB device is "seen" by windows (Removable vs. Fixed, but also "Internal"/"external") maybe (just maybe) Diskmod may be of use (though cited on first page of the present thread you didn't specify if you are already using it :unsure:):
http://reboot.pro/9461/

:cheers:
Wonko

#227 binford

binford
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

For now, I've decided to slipstream all windows updates into the install.wim file that gets plugged into PWboot when building the flash stick. I still can't update one the portable windows is running, but i should be fine for a while.

I'll give diskmod a try, although I'd rather just not use a pagefile. The system has plenty of ram and no expectation to run heavy software. I agree that the most likely reason I have permissions issues is because windows sees the thumb drive as a removable disk instead of a fixed one, but i still have to figure that out.

Anyone have permissions issues that were resolved by somehow emulating a fixed disk, whether by flipping the removable bit, or using drivers, etc?

#228 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Well, diskmod changes the "way Windows sees the device", and allows OPTIONALLY to have a pagefile.sys, if you prefer diskmod is a pre-requisite for a pagefile but does not in any way "force you" to have one.
It is just a test that is IMHO worth to try.

Wonko

#229 binford

binford
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

It worked. My thumb drive is now a fixed disk, and ask permission issues vanished. Services like Windows update work, and so does the recycle bin. For some reason, pinning items to the taskbar didn't formerly work and now they do.

Thanks for your help!

#230 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

It worked. My thumb drive is now a fixed disk, and ask permission issues vanished. Services like Windows update work, and so does the recycle bin. For some reason, pinning items to the taskbar didn't formerly work and now they do.

Thanks for your help!

You are welcome.
:smiling9:

Wonko

#231 babygirl9008

babygirl9008
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

love this

#232 MrChris

MrChris
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

Will this work with Server 2012? Or is there plans to update it to work with Server 2012? honestly I havent even tested it with 2012 yet just thought I would ask!

Thanks,

~MC

#233 okros19

okros19
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Hi Everyone!

I just find this program and it seems very useful. I do everything what i have to but i cant make it work. 
I have a laptop with no HDD and i want to run win7 on a 8gb pendrive but the laptop dont recognize the usb while i install the win7 on it. 
If i try it in my desk computer it always got a boot error: Boot\BCD

Any suggestions?

#234 rraallvv

rraallvv
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Venezuela

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Does anybody have a working image?

I have a Mac, I'm trying to run Windows from external drive.

Any help is appreciated.

#235 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Does anybody have a working image?

Yes.
http://homepage.ntlw...no-answers.html
I have a Mac, I'm trying to run Windows from external drive.

Nice project :).
Any help is appreciated.
Help for what?
Do you expect that someone will make an image for you and distribute it (in violation of MS EULA :ph34r:) through the board? :unsure:

The idea is that you build yourself your USB stick install from the source/install media you own a license for.

Wonko

#236 Marios Georgiou

Marios Georgiou
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Cyprus

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

I installed Windows 8 on an external hard disk using PWBOOT and it didn't installed all the apps of the

start screen.

#237 Marios Georgiou

Marios Georgiou
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Cyprus

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

I installed Windows 8 on an external hard disk using PWBOOT and it didn't installed all the apps of
the start screen.

#238 babygirl9008

babygirl9008
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

Will this work with Server 2012? Or is there plans to update it to work with Server 2012? honestly I havent even tested it with 2012 yet just thought I would ask!

Thanks,

~MC

yes it will i clicked patch a lot of times it says error but it worked (Samsung s2 portable on acer aspire 5315 2 gigs ram single core cpu) 

#239 ChownTuen

ChownTuen
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hello everybody!

I use a HP Thin Client t5475 and for me this shit is usefull only with Windows, cause I need Microsoft Office. So I had try to install Windows 7 in a external HDD. My only problem is every reboot (shoutdown, restart etc) windows reinstall ALL drivers (Including CPU/Atom).

AnyIdeas?

#240 bansheeat

bansheeat
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hello,

I downloaded PVBoot 3.0.2 and my Avast Virusscan says its a Malware Win32Malware:gen.

I also tried two Online Virus Scan https://www.virustotal.com/de/ and http://virusscan.jotti.org/de and the result is - most of the Scanners say its a Malware ?!

Can you help me about that ?

Thank you

#241 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Can you help me about that ?

Thank you

Help you how exactly? :dubbio:

Like, you know (examples)

• Telling you that they are false positives?
  • Mailing those antivirus companies telling them how there is no virus in the files?
  • Confirming you that the files do contain that virus and that then your antivirus is correct?

What kind of action are you expecting from reboot.pro? :unsure:

Wonko

#242 bansheeat

bansheeat
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hi Wonko,

I already mailed to Avast, sending them the PWBoot.exe.

Yes, I would like to hear from reboot.pro and maybe some users of PWBoot that there is no Malware in the file :good:

#243 2C191C407

2C191C407
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:40 PM

What are the requirements for the USB drive?  
I saw the "Tested Storage List" in the top post, but it looks pretty out of date.  

Is there a maximum size?  Is USB 3.0 okay?  
Does the drive need to be formatted a particular way before installing Windows with PWBoot?  What filesystem should the drive have? NTFS, FAT, exFAT? How about a partition table? GPT or MBR? 

I ask all these questions because I tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate on a Silicon Power 64 GB USB 3.0 drive formatted NTFS with GPT.  It would get all the way through copying files and installing, then just give a generic error message like "Windows failed to install."  

#244 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

Hmmm. :dubbio:
You seemingly managed to put together more than one possible complication. :ph34r:

Windows 7 has no "native" support for USB 3.0 motherboard controllers, so that is usually a no-no.
Maybe, integrating the right (which?) USB 3.0 drivers it is possible to install it, but then it is unlikely to work (as the project idea is) "universally", it will likely work only on motherboards with a chipset for which the drivers are present. :unsure:

The good news are that USB 3.0 devices are backwards compatible, i.e. it is entirely possible that your USB 3.0 device might be ok if connected to a USB 2.0 port.

Then there is the added complication of GPT.
You don't really need (or actually want) a GPT partitioned USB stick with a NTFS.
It is not needed (sizewise) and it will be unbootable on BIOS machines (because of the GPT) and unbootable on most UEFI machines (because of the NTFS filesystem which is not supported in the UEFI standard).

In any case the PWboot project is/was intended for BIOS and thus for MBR style partitioning. :(

Maybe if you post what is your final goal, there may be other (possibly even more suited) tools/projects to reach it. :)

:duff:
Wonko

#245 2C191C407

2C191C407
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

The good news are that USB 3.0 devices are backwards compatible, i.e. it is entirely possible that your USB 3.0 device might be ok if connected to a USB 2.0 port.

Do you mean for the installation? Or later when the portable system is live?  

You don't really need (or actually want) a GPT partitioned USB stick with a NTFS.

Okay, thanks. I can change it to MBR easily enough.  

Maybe if you post what is your final goal, there may be other (possibly even more suited) tools/projects to reach it.

I have a nice Lenovo workstation laptop from work; fast processor, good video card, but I don't have admin rights on it.  

My goal is to boot Windows from a USB drive so I can install and run Zwft on it.  

I don't need the USB installation to work universally.  Just on one Lenovo W541 workstation.  

I'm running PWBoot on my wife's Dell laptop with Windows 7.  

So, my next steps are to change the USB drive to MBR, and try PWBoot again with the drive in a USB 2.0 port.  

#246 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

Do you mean for the installation? Or later when the portable system is live?

Both.
The installation error you experienced is more likely to have been caused by the GPT, but then the PWBOOT Windows 7 won't boot (unless specifically modified) from an USB 3.0 port, giving you a 0x0000007b BSOD, see:
http://reboot.pro/to...e-9#entry162122
http://reboot.pro/to...n-302/?p=162123
but shoudl work nicely from a USB 2.0 port.

So, my next steps are to change the USB drive to MBR, and try PWBoot again with the drive in a USB 2.0 port.

Yep :).

Wonko

#247 HMR

HMR
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Grenada

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

Is there any way to run PWBoot from WindowsXP?
I get error message that PWBoot only runs on Win7 and up.

On XP no, want to install Win7 on USB HDD. Any help? Not so much into topic. Have manual for PWboot though, so if could make it run that'd solve the problem.

Or, a similar soft?

Thanks!

#248 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:08 AM

Is there any way to run PWBoot from WindowsXP?
I get error message that PWBoot only runs on Win7 and up.

On XP no, want to install Win7 on USB HDD. Any help? Not so much into topic. Have manual for PWboot though, so if could make it run that'd solve the problem.

Or, a similar soft?

Thanks!

PWBoot is WIndows 7 and 8 specific.

You may want to try wimb's projects about "Universal XP" "and "universal 7", see:
http://reboot.pro/to...-and-windows-7/

Or are you wanting to install a "normal" 7 on a USB hard disk but doing it from a running XP? :unsure: this should work fine:

http://reboot.pro/to...sata-hard-disk/

But you can always install the 7 to a VM and use it to run PWBoot, however.

Wonko

#249 pazhanii

pazhanii

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

Hai,

PWBOOT is a nice one. It works as it says.

I was searching for tools to make windows 7 portable.

I got a windows 7 usb version.iso with windows 7 VHD in it.

Then i tried myself. Installed windows 7 to VHD. Copied to sandisk utra usb 3

Made it bootable copying BCD and bootmgr.

Then mounted the VHD and applied the PWBOOT Fix

Surprisingly it worked fine.

For windows 8 and 10 no need to apply, by default it supports usb boot.

I learned new things from reboot.pro. Really thankful for reboot.pro

Edited by pazhanii, 15 September 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#250 Camiel

Camiel

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Dangerous File Blocked

The file you attempted to download was determined to be dangerous. For your protection, MediaFire does not enable distribution of dangerous files.

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb, windows, boot, full, pwboot, vhd, patch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users