Photo
- - - - -

I viewed more than 20 pages as guest....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

...then I was forced to register or sign in.
The idea of freedom has evidently left for good this forum.
Wonko (the Sane)

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

Yep, ran ito that problem yesterday too.

:cheers:

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

Me too! Outside my home, in an Internet Cafe, I did not have my x3y4z5/.abc ... Password in my mind.

Some views, and the "20"

Peter

#4 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4204 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:13 AM

Yeah! That was one of my concerns I brought up in forum upgrade post. I was thinking i was the only one that didnt like that limit :frusty: :( .

#5 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

...then I was forced to register or sign in.

And (I think) if you have a "kind-hearted" ISP providing a new IP at every login taking out a random one from the large pool of IP addresses, this limit can be stretched far more.
File hosting sites like rapidshare/megaupload can be befooled this way.

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Many users will just visit the forum for years in a row and read pages without ever registering. With this restriction, they are provided with a reason to register and login. Once that happens, they are also more likely to post, rate and participate in the community.

We get heavily indexed by web page scrappers and this measure reduces the daily bandwidth consumption while ensuring that our site is not an attractive resource for automated sites that scrap our contents.

And personally, I like when members login. That gives an idea about who is visiting the site instead of just seeing a thousand anonymous guests that are just numbers and nothing else.

20 page views is intended for the casual user that comes from a google search or other reference link. Frequent users are logged inside the site in either case to participate.

#7 bblaauw

bblaauw

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

The 20 pageviews limit doesn't seem to get lifted over time, despite the claim of 'wait an hour and you can view another 20'. I dislike registering at more and more places, and such requirements can put people off from ever visiting your site anymore. Nonetheless, I registered due to this limitation (so maybe it helps after all..) as I had a few questions to ask anyway (especially with Syslinux project being in suspended mode right now due to kernel.org issues).

#8 Aye Htay

Aye Htay

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts
  •  
    Myanmar

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

:alone: Not reached 20, it banned me to go next page even after 1 hour, can't browse any page :suda: this is annoying and frustrating to every visiting people. Soon it will more and more limitation like 10pages, 9,,,,8,,,,7,,,,6,,,,5,,,,4,,,,, :boo:

ah

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

And personally, I like when members login. That gives an idea about who is visiting the site instead of just seeing a thousand anonymous guests that are just numbers and nothing else.

The idea of freedom is different from both "opportunities" and your (or anyone else) "preferences".Mind you, there is nothing "right" or "wrong" in your current approach, it is simply far from what is commonly thought as "freedom", besides being clearly contrasting with the availability of "bugmenot" accounts.
:cheers:
Wonko

#10 florin91

florin91

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 197 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

Just delete your reboot.pro cookies and watch another 20 pages :)

#11 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:10 AM

I recently wanted to find a video card driver for a rarity Sony Vaio. The only source I found - a Way Back Machine - gave me several promising pages, only to find out all of them were Login screens, obviously not working in the web archive. That was a real problem... :suda:

As to the problem of registering on Reboot site, I don't think its significant enough. Because most novices end up on this site similar to me - when they have a sudden problem and are looking for a quick fix. Because shear number of posts here is impressive, at some point a novice would have to open a thread and start asking questions to get closer to his issue resolution. I remember, that's how I met first with one Sanity guy here. :) So, for the sake of efficiency (at times this site is out of reach) its not that bad to ask for a Registration at some point. Plus one should always keep an eye on browser's Clear Cache Button to bit the odds. :boo:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users