spiffywiffy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hello:

Got a confusing situation...

I've successfully built a Win7PE_SE ISO (based on WB 082 and Win7PE_SE 2011_07_22). I typically use these images via PXE booting (tftpd32 and Grub4DOS) - been using VistaPE this way successfully for the past 2 years. The Win7PE image PXE boots perfectly fine on a HP 6000 Desktop. However, if I try to PXE boot to this image on HP EliteBook 8540w/8640w laptops, it either fails after the windows logo appears (unreadable text/garbled) or goes to a black screen WITH drive activity, but no image on screen ever. I've tried adjusting video settings, you name it - no dice.

The really confusing part is that if I write this image to a USB key and boot off of that on the EliteBooks, it boots perfectly!

Would anyone have any insight as to why it would boot fine with USB but not via PXE?

Thanks!

#2 spiffywiffy

spiffywiffy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

Update: I got this working by by booting the WIM file with pxeboot.n12 method in grub4dos instead of ISO method. Reckon it is possibly a config problem somewhere (grub4dos perhaps). In any case, its working for me. THanks.

#3 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

That seems odd. A bonus to using "the pxeboot.n12 method" is that you don't have the double-RAM requirement.

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Update: I got this working by by booting the WIM file with pxeboot.n12 method in grub4dos instead of ISO method. Reckon it is possibly a config problem somewhere (grub4dos perhaps). In any case, its working for me. THanks.

How much memory is in the system?
What does the memory map look like? Can you run GETMEM.exe under DOS (or grub4dos displaymem) to see the memory map. Compare with working system.
Maybe there are some 'holes'.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win7pe_se, hp elitebook

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users