254 replies to this topic

#26 hellbraker

hellbraker

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

How will i know how many sectors to backup inorder to save the current MBR of my UFD?Bootice asks for a number between 1-63.What should i do here?

Thanks.

#27 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

How will i know how many sectors to backup inorder to save the current MBR of my UFD?Bootice asks for a number between 1-63.What should i do here?

Thanks.

If your current MBR is 1 sector long, save 1 sector.
If it is 2, save 2
If it is 3 save 3

Save 63 sectors, in the worst case you will save 1 sector MBR + 62 empty sectors.
Overall bigger occupation on disk will be 62x512=31744 bytes.

BTW this question has been already answered here:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=9063&st=8

jaclaz

#28 ant2k6

ant2k6
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

Cool!!!
Thank you very much...

#29 deboned

deboned
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

Sorry, there's no commandline version now. ;)

still a great utility,

#30 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

a new version (0.64) as of 13th of september is uploaded in the 1st post ,in case someone dont know .

i checked the original chinese thread and came to know about this . Pauly did upload the new version here ,but he did not inform ppl or may be he forgot.

#31 ShimonAzuelos

ShimonAzuelos
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

:rolleyes:At last I manage two Partition in My 16G SanDisk Amazing thank you :loleverybody:

#32 nevel

nevel
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

Thank you for this great little tool!

Combined with the huge amount of knowledge on this forum, it allowed me to finally tackle the last big hurdle in my quest for the ultimate USB rescue stick.
I used Bootice to succesfully install grub4dos on my 32GB stick (finally, it worked! :D), so that I can boot from whatever ISO I like.
32GB (or, in reality, perhaps 30GB) should be more than enough to store the ISO's I'll need in order to rescue the average PC.
Sure, I'll still need to fiddle around with the menu.lst, but since it saves me from having to carry lots of CD's around, it's more than worth it.
Since I own a TeraByte Image license, I could even integrate its BartPE plugin into a customized UBCD4Win ISO, and put some stable OS images on there...

I'll probably put Almeza MultiSet (or some other tool along those lines) on a seperate stick for automated app installs, and perhaps put the DCOT menu on there to run some nifty portable apps. When that is done, I guess I'd be pretty much unstoppable :D. But please feel free to drop me any suggestions you might have. Or better still, enjoy your weekend :cheers:.

Cheers.

#33 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

Very nice and useful tool, thanks for it :)

I would love to see a command-line version of this so that I can automate it.

+1

#34 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

just for the record , version 0.65 is at the wuyou forums . i could post it here . but i guess we should wait for Pauly to come and update it and explain new changes and or bug fixes..

#35 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:[=D=] has been gone for ages along with .NET 1.0. I may bring it back depending on the amazing people here.
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:15 AM

I already hate this thing. I've been trying all day to make a bootable UFD and this thing won't accept my MBR! I need the old PE2USB. I'm sick of hitting format 5+ times every hour. :whistling:

#36 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

I already hate this thing. I've been trying all day to make a bootable UFD and this thing won't accept my MBR! I need the old PE2USB. I'm sick of hitting format 5+ times every hour. :whistling:

if you cant have this working on your usb and on your particular hardware then it is NOT the fault of the coder .

all 3 options of it have worked for me regard to usb boot.

#37 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:[=D=] has been gone for ages along with .NET 1.0. I may bring it back depending on the amazing people here.
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:00 AM

if you cant have this working on your usb and on your particular hardware then it is NOT the fault of the coder .

No it can boot. It just doesn't work exactly the way I want it to.

Damn Small Linux boots? Yes.
WinPE? You bet your ass.
Standard Windows CD install copy? I can't do it! :whistling:

WTF...I mean...What the ****? The disk isn't really a hard flash. It's a SD/MM reader connecting a 2GB ChipDisk that shows up as a USB-ZIP Removable under RMPrepUSB. I need to get this embedded device deployed. Yesterday.

BootICE showed me a problem where my bootsectors are getting clipped and RMPrep is guiding me in another direction. I can't afford to keep doing this until dawn. This is a huge waste of time.

#38 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

I think you are confused. Bootice only installs the boot loader for you on your MBR and the rest is up to you. It is up to you to set up the boot config file (for example menu.lst) correctly and build the file system structure propertly on your disk. If you don't you'll have problems. There are gotchas getting WinPE to work on USB stick.

It has nothing to do with Bootice. You may want to consider: SARDU http://www.boot-land...;showtopic=9169 instead

You can also take a look at: http://www.intowindo...-working-guide/ -- How To: Install Windows 7/Vista From USB Drive [Detailed 100% Working Guide]

No it can boot. It just doesn't work exactly the way I want it to.

Damn Small Linux boots? Yes.
WinPE? You bet your ass.
Standard Windows CD install copy? I can't do it! :whistling:

WTF...I mean...What the ****? The disk isn't really a hard flash. It's a SD/MM reader connecting a 2GB ChipDisk that shows up as a USB-ZIP Removable under RMPrepUSB. I need to get this embedded device deployed. Yesterday.

BootICE showed me a problem where my bootsectors are getting clipped and RMPrep is guiding me in another direction. I can't afford to keep doing this until dawn. This is a huge waste of time.

#39 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

here is the version 0.65 . which he released on National Day of China .

http://ifile.it/ex3sgdy

#40 Pauly

Pauly

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

updated now. see topic post.

#41 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

updated now. see topic post.

thanks for the update dear . but it seems you have removed support for NT5 MBR ?

and there are some cool features added like Plop . ;)

#42 Pauly

Pauly

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

thanks for the update dear . but it seems you have removed support for NT5 MBR ?

and there are some cool features added like Plop . ;)

NT5 MBR does the same thing as NT6 MBR: find and boot the first active primary partition, maybe NT6 MBR is stabler, so, get rid of NT5 MBR, only NT6 MBR left ;)

#43 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

NT5 MBR does the same thing as NT6 MBR: find and boot the first active primary partition, maybe NT6 MBR is stabler, so, get rid of NT5 MBR, only NT6 MBR left ;)

Really ?

it is new thing for me . but there has to be some difference that HOW they see the active partition ?

#44 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

@Pauly

Is this possible to not grey out the ReParts/Format button when the USB HDD is seen as non-removable (either by hardware, or by software like Hitachi micro-filter/dummydisk driver)?
In other words, why currently this function is disabled for non-removable USB HDD?

#45 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:02 AM

Well NO.

I mean, the whole idea of these kind of utilities is having OPTIONS available, otherwise one can use DISKPART allright.

Unless there is a "serious" reason to remove the NT5 MBR, I would like it re-added.

:cheers:

jaclaz

#46 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

is having OPTIONS available,

:cheers: ;)

#47 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

Below is the graphical explanation of making dual partition on USB drive and making it bootable . have a look .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Disk Genius 3.0 Beta 2

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9459

#48 PatrickF

PatrickF

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

Hi Pauly,

thanks for the great work!

But how about the commandline version?

I need a version which is automatable.

Greets
Patrick

#49 tikbalang

tikbalang

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

bootice 0.6.5 crashes when overwriting a syslinux mbr with grub4dos on fat32. no messages, it just disappears from screen after clicking "install/config".

#50 Pauly

Pauly

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:37 AM

To tikbalang & PatrickF:

Please download the latest version and have a try!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users