rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:20 AM

I can not run a shortcut.lnk file
I have all my portable apps in a folder as shortcuts pointing to a network drive, but the icons show 'flat' and I have tried with 'freecommander, explorerXP, explorer2, double-clicking on them doesn't do anything.

The PStart work fine as the icons point to real *.exe files.

Posted Image

I am just guessing, but doesn't have to do with "DriveSigning" that I can not open/run link shortcuts ?

#52 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

Short of the above is there anyway to STOP the execution of the program if run NOT as Admin and display a polite message like:"It seems like you are not running this program with Administrator credentials, program execution STOPped, please try again running as Admin? :smiling9:

Yes, we can detect for Windows 7 OS what settings are valid for User Account Control.

http://ss64.com/nt/syntax-uac.html

User Account Control Off is OK and has Setting:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000000

I don't know yet how to detect if the program was Run as Adninistrator,
but it might be that we find a solution for it.

There will be some test, may be I used it already in one of my previous batch programs.

#53 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

Wouldn't a manifest file do? :smiling9:
http://en.wikipedia....sting_elevation
http://www.codeguru....p/t-421859.html

:(

Wonko

#54 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:58 AM

Hi wimb :rolleyes:

Thanks, your setup works well; fast and easy build :lol:

A couple suggestions (if you don't mind), make it clear (in the command screen) that there are two different ways to gather/build the project. Step 2 & 4 for building in XP (gathering files in 7) and Step 3 only if building in Win7 with AIK (this method didn't work for me). Also, some of us prefer our AIK installed at C:\WAIK - easier command paths ;)

--
Step 3 from W7 w/AIK20 failed with:

ERROR - WAIK not installed -> Edited cmd to point to C:\WAIK - OK

ERROR - File "C:\WAIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\winpe-wmi.cab" is Missing

-> Should be WinPE_OCs - Replaced ALL in cmd - OK

then...
dismerr.PNG
(don't know why I get this, ssshim.dll is there)

--
Step 2 (W7) and Step 4 (XP) went without a hitch and BOOT_IMG setup the iso for booting no problem, like I said, fast and easy :rolleyes:

;)

#55 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:24 AM

ERROR - File "C:\WAIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\winpe-wmi.cab" is Missing

-> Should be WinPE_OCs - Replaced ALL in cmd - OK

No, for winpe-wmi.cab it should be WinPE_FPs as produced by the WAIK for Windows 7 downloaded from here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Imagex and Dism must be the new version 6.1.7600.16385

I can see you are using version 7000 which is giving the problem with Dism

More Info in Tutorial:
http://www.911cd.net...o...21883&st=35

I will make the WAIK as a user selectable path so that C:\WAIK can be used as well.

Also the user interface will be further improved, to make the dependence on available Windows 7 OS more clear.

Happy to hear you like already this first configuration of this new program to make pe3.iso
I know there is more to be done needed for further improvements.

@rocketero
Also generating shortcuts is an item which might be improved.
Can you see in the Properties of the non-working Shortcuts what is the problem ?

#56 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:46 AM

@wimb

on your system importing PE3-SOFTWARE_CL_MMC.reg works fine?
for me it returns with error: Error accessing the registry

#57 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

@wimb

on your system importing PE3-SOFTWARE_CL_MMC.reg works fine?
for me it returns with error: Error accessing the registry

Yes, for me everything OK.

Probably something with timing. I will try to build in some pause at that stage.
Thanks for your feedback info. :rolleyes:

There are more improvements to come ....

Please report about possible issues and if possible with their solution ....
Then we can further improve this promising approach. :lol:

#58 rocketero

rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

@Wimb
Have you tried to run an application by mean of a shortcut that point to an executable in a network drive ?

for instance, I have loaded several applications shortcuts while building the pe3 iso file by placing them in the appropriate folder.

the applications have an extension of *.lnk as they are shortcuts.

But once the pe3-#. ISO is booted, none of these shortcuts open the correspondent executable in the network.

Please let me see if you can figure out what change(s) in the registry has to be done.

I was checking all the ".lnk" occurrences in the registry but most of the ones in a physical PC are present in the pe3-#. ISO.

Maybe Dera can help here also?

#59 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

@rocketero

I can get the ICONS for Shortcuts to Apps on Network Drive Q:

Network Program Irfan View can be launched from Shortcut in Q:\PortableApps folder of Network Drive.
When I copy these Shortcuts to PE3 folder X:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop
then the Icons Appear and I can use these Shortcuts to launch the program.
But of course it is necessary that Drive Letter and Path in Properties are correct.
That means when I share U_XP_SET folder on network computer titan,
that the Shortcut Links should have Target Q:\Progs\.... instead of Q:\U_XP_SET\Progs\....

Windows PE 3.0 + GUI with Icons for Shortcuts to App on Network Drive Q:
=
Posted Image
=

#60 rocketero

rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

@rocketero

I can get the ICONS for Shortcuts to Apps on Network Drive Q:

Network Program Irfan View can be launched from Shortcut in Q:\PortableApps folder of Network Drive.
When I copy these Shortcuts to PE3 folder X:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop
then the Icons Appear and I can use these Shortcuts to launch the program.
But of course it is necessary that Drive Letter and Path in Properties are correct.
That means when I share U_XP_SET folder on network computer titan,
that the Shortcut Links should have Target Q:\Progs\.... instead of Q:\U_XP_SET\Progs\....

Windows PE 3.0 + GUI with Icons for Shortcuts to App on Network Drive Q:

=

That's weird. I for instance can run in the network the same .lnk that I can not run inside the PE3.

I don't know if it is due that I'm running the PE3 in VMware 7.0 or not. (don't have blank cd's right now)
I have built several PE3's and have the same issue.

Also I placed a bunch of .lnk files on Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop and they don't show up in the desktop.

#61 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

That's weird. I for instance can run in the network the same .lnk that I can not run inside the PE3.

I don't know if it is due that I'm running the PE3 in VMware or not. (don't have blank cd's right now)

I am booting the pe3.iso direct from GRUB4DOS Menu on HDD or on USB-stick.
So you don't need any CD.

Have a look at the Details tab of the Properties of the .lnk files and check who is the Owner.
In my case on copy of the .lnk files to X:\.....\Desktop then the Owner becomes NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

#62 rocketero

rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

I am booting the pe3.iso direct from GRUB4DOS Menu on HDD or on USB-stick.
So you don't need any CD.

Have a look at the Details tab of the Properties of the .lnk files and check who is the Owner.
In my case on copy of the .lnk files to X:\.....\Desktop then the Owner becomes NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

The path to the .lnk is a network path (like for file.lnk the path is \\NETWORK-PC\SHARE\file.exe)

about the owner of all the .lnk files located in X:\.....\Desktop is the user Administrator.

I don't know why is this user, before copying them the owner was the logged user in the NETWORK-PC (called user 'quesusto' which is also administrator on that computer)
there is not 'security' tab in PE3 files to change it to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Before Copying them to the X:\.....\desktop it looked like this:

Posted Image

#63 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

Also I placed a bunch of .lnk files on Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop and they don't show up in the desktop

do not know
but i always thought the .lnk is only for the explorer shell
but in the BSExplorer shell the shortcuts are defined in the bs_desktop.ini, bs_start.ini and bs_qlaunch.ini located in the BSExplorer folder

anyway double-click on .lnk file works for me too
e.g. in Total Commander, A43, FreeCommander, CubicExplorer
icon showed up corectly on the .lnk file
(i cannot create a new .lnk but can modify an existing one)

#64 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:18 AM

@wimb

i think in the bs_start.ini no need the quotes around the path
e.g.
IconName=%ProgramFiles%\PENetwork\PENetwork.exe
works, icons showed up correctly in the BSExplorer startmenu

#65 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:34 AM

i think in the bs_start.ini no need the quotes around the path

Thanks dera :lol:

Icons appear in Start Menu, good improvement.

#66 ho0k3r

ho0k3r
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Afghanistan

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

I didn't see this anywhere so I'm not sure anybody else has seen this. Has anyone used PE Network Manager to add a prefered network manually? When I try to add one manually I get the error "Error While Adding WiFi Profile (1206) the network connection profile is corrupted".

#67 rocketero

rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:18 PM

I found out what the problem was with the .lnk shortcuts.
basically I found it by right-clicking on the icon, I was looking at the following menu (screenshot):

Posted Image

as you can see the first item on the menu is: Open File Location
Also notice that the icon shows as a blank icon. But in a regular application or application link there should be a menu item on top of that called: Open
Well. after clicking on the Properties menu item, I selected: Change Icon and that updated the shortcut with the correct network icon and voila double-clicking the Icon it opened the application and also right-clicking on the Icon it shows now: Open as the first menu Item.

The funny thing is that refreshing the window didn't update the network icons, and in order to open a .lnk application I have to 'update the icon'. But now I can open them and that is what it matters.

#68 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

AutoIt3 Program Make_PE3.exe was made to Create and Install Windows PE 3.0 + GUI - ISO Boot Image.

After booting with pe3.iso from GRUB4DOS Menu on Target Drive, then PStart Menu is launched for
Support of Portable Programs located on HDD or USB-drive.

As source is used AIK for Windows 7 and additional files and registry entries from Installed Windows 7 OS.
Dism.exe of AIK must be version 6.1.7600.16385 (earlier version 7000 gives Errors)

Download - Make-PE3 - mirror

More Info:

=
User Interface of Make_PE3.exe Program to Create pe3.iso Boot Image
=
Posted Image
=

#69 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

@wimb

I tried the autoit version and got this error message when selecting Z as my Windows 7 drive :
Line -1: Error: error in expression.
Then the program exits.

Z: because I mount a backuped image of the disk done with DriveSnapshot. Previously with the command line version there is no problem with Z:.

#70 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

@wimb

I tried the autoit version and got this error message when selecting Z as my Windows 7 drive :
Line -1: Error: error in expression.
Then the program exits.

Strange .... :exclamation:
When using here Z: for a HDD IMG file made with IMG_XP_Create and mounted with ImDisk
then there is no problem. What is going on with DriveSnapshot ?

Can you try oyher drive letter for your image, which is not changing in going fom US to French keyboard ?

When do you get the error ? Before or After GO ?

I tried here DriveSnapShot in XP and mounted Windows 7 Snapshot in drive Z:
No problem in using Make_PE3.exe here.

#71 rocketero

rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

AutoIt3 Program Make_PE3.exe was made to Create and Install Windows PE 3.0 + GUI - ISO Boot Image.

After booting with pe3.iso from GRUB4DOS Menu on Target Drive, then PStart Menu is launched for
Support of Portable Programs located on HDD or USB-drive.

As source is used AIK for Windows 7 and additional files and registry entries from Installed Windows 7 OS.
Dism.exe of AIK must be version 6.1.7600.16385 (earlier version 7000 gives Errors)

Download - Make-PE3 - mirror

More Info:

=
User Interface of Make_PE3.exe Program to Create pe3.iso Boot Image
=

There is something weird about my computer or I don't know if there is something wrong with the last Make_PE3.exe utility.

here it goes:
First I want to say that if this Make_PE3.exe does not work with Windows 7 64-bit then disregard this whole post as this issue that I'll explain here is related to that OS.

I run the Make_PE3.exe it as administrator and after opening the window you show in the above post I noticed that in the box "Windows 7 System Drive" was the letter D instead of C (where I have installed windows 7 64-bit).
So I clicked on the button in front of the box to select the drive letter C where Windows 7 x64 is located but after selecting the drive letter C I was getting this popup window:

Posted Image

So I just didn't know what it was going on. The windows 7 is 64-bit so I look for the wlansvc.dll in c:\windows\system32 and at the first glance I didn't see it so I did a search in the whole C drive using Windows-Explorer and indeed there was a file in that location. Anyways I opened Agent Ransack (search program) and the weird part was that the file wlansvc.dll was not listed using the search with "AgentRansack' program on that explicit path. I then opened Freecommander, ExplorerXP, TotalCommander and for my surprise there was no listing for that file in %windir%\system32

I Knew it was there because Windows-explorer show it so I try to register the wlandsvc.dll file with REGSVR32.EXE and for some reason did not register, it came a popup window saying "the module was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not fund".

After a few retries I finally got the file listed in AgentRansack and the other apps but the Regsvr32 never got it working. But still after running Make_PE3.exe was giving me the popup message about wlansvc.dll not found.

Finally just by reading some google searches I saw a line in a page talking about using the Regsvr32 located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 so I decided to copy the file C:\Windows\System32\Wlansvc.dll to the address C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ and after doing that the Make_PE3.exe accepted the Drive letter C.

Just to test it I deleted the file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Wlansvc.dll and the popup message about wlansvc.dll NOT Found showed up again.

Anyways, the process went smoothly after the part where couldn't fine the *.reg files located in PE3_mod\PE3_reg\amd64 so I copied the ones located in PE3_mod\PE3_reg\x86 there (PE3-SOFTWARE_CLID2.reg, PE3-SOFTWARE_CL_MMC.reg ...) and then the whole thing run without any messages.

But the last part is maybe the worst part because for some reason I can not make run the final PE3.ISO in VMware 7.0 and VirtualBox, here is what I get:

Posted Image

#72 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Anyways, the process went smoothly after the part where couldn't fine the *.reg files located in PE3_mod\PE3_reg\amd64 so I copied the ones located in PE3_mod\PE3_reg\x86 there (PE3-SOFTWARE_CLID2.reg, PE3-SOFTWARE_CL_MMC.reg ...) and then the whole thing run without any messages.

You cannot expect x86 Registry files are working to build x64 pe3.iso.

The tutorial http://www.911cd.net...o...21883&st=35

For 64-bits Operating System you have to make similar registry files from your own Windows 7 Registry.

Similar means you have got make the reg files yourselves from the x64 Windows 7 Registry instead of using a copy of the x86 reg files.
That means you have got to export those Registry entries and to edit these files such that SYSTEM is replaced by PE3-SYSTEM and SOFTWARE by PE3-SOFTWARE.

As I don't have x64 Windows 7 so that I cannot provide these files yet,
but maybe you or Lancelot can make the required set of reg files and I can add these to the Make_PE3 package.

wlansvc.dll is used as a marker file to detect if the right drive was selected.
In case of x64 I need to take precautions such that the file is found.
I think I know allready how to solve this issue, by using x64 support Function of Lancelot.

#73 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

Strange .... :exclamation:
When using here Z: for a HDD IMG file made with IMG_XP_Create and mounted with ImDisk
then there is no problem. What is going on with DriveSnapshot ?

Can you try oyher drive letter for your image, which is not changing in going fom US to French keyboard ?

When do you get the error ? Before or After GO ?

I tried here DriveSnapShot in XP and mounted Windows 7 Snapshot in drive Z:
No problem in using Make_PE3.exe here.

I tried the original make_pe3.exe and with Z: and U:. Same problem! So now I cannot not use the updated version of make_pe3.exe :-(. It works with C: though, but C: is my Vista, not Windows 7.

Posted Image

#74 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

@ktp
I have got no idea what is causing your DriveLetter problem with the mounted DriveSnapshot images.

Please try to Get the Windows 7 files on computer where Windows 7 System Drive is direct available.
Or try different imaging and mounting e.g. use IMG_XP_Create.exe and ImDisk

#75 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

@ktp
I have got no idea what is causing your DriveLetter problem with the mounted DriveSnapshot images.

Please try to Get the Windows 7 files on computer where Windows 7 System Drive is direct available.
Or try different imaging and mounting e.g. use IMG_XP_Create.exe and ImDisk

I tried with real, not-mounted Windows 7 drive (mine is Q:) and it is the same problem!
So this is not the problem with disk imaging.
Is there a way to add debugging information to autoit? There is for example source in sources_au3, maybe to add debugging lines (WinMessageBox-like) to track it? I can have autoit3 compiler if needed.
In the mean time, as autoit3 adds only a GUI, could I use the plain old working batch file .cmd provided to run the new version ?

Thank you for your support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users