• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

OK, that would explain, why i didn't stumble about one.

I think there's a little spacing problem.
WB_Error.gif

:lol:

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

hmm.. This might be caused by the width of your browser window.

Please detail more about your system so that I can replicate this issue.

I need to know:
  • OS & version
  • Browser & version
  • Window width in pixels (of the browser window)

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

All tested browsers show the same problem.
Browser window maximized by 1024*768 Resolution.

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:56 PM

Well, what browsers have you tested? :lol:

It's working fine for Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 users.

Maybe it's better to start a new topic at site feedback to properly debug this issue.

;)

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

I tested with Firefox 1.5, Opera 8.5 and IE6.
As soon as the google bar got moved below the page numbers, they slightly overlapped.

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Do you also get this issue when using a newer firefox/IE?

I'm currently testing with the latest versions and the portion you mention is correctly displayed but it's difficult to keep compatibility with older versions.

In either case, I'll test other positions inside the webpage until this is solved.

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:34 AM

I tested with a portable version of FF3. Result, a differently screwed up page.
Where the older Browsers squeezed things together to make the page width fit the top width, the new FF does not care about stuff like that.
Wish i could show you, but the server denies again uploading to me. :lol: ;)

The rendered page in FF3 changes page width 2 times.

So overall there is something wrong with the page design, imo and how the page ends up on screen, depends purely on how the used browser tries to fix the problem.

;)

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

Ok, I've moved the ad all the way to the bottom of the page.

Please log out and test to see if it is no longer breaking the page design.

Thanks.

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

Debugging without seeing what's wrong is a pointless undertaking.
Give me some minutes and i will post some pictures to show you what goes wrong.

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

First the picture from yesterday. FF3 - Adsense next to the page numbers but the navigation bar extends past the intended page width. Adsense also breaks the width of the posts column.
Posted Image

Pictures from today. IE6 - Adsense at the bottom.

The page head with the login fits perfectly into the page width.
Posted Image

The navigation bar however breaks now also in the older browser the layout.
Posted Image

There is also a glitch at the bottom, where the width doesn't fit the top page width nor the page width at the navigation bar.
Posted Image

I think adsense made more sense at the top of the page, if it is only on the very first page of a topic.

Hope this helps to track down the problem. :lol:

#11 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the screenshots, I can confirm the behavior you report but I'm unable to fix this matter as it is caused by the width of the two ads on top of the page.

These ad dimensions are a standard size, I'm hoping to change the default boot land skin later to the end of this year and maybe then will be a good time to implement a visual prepared for these things.

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

My suggestion for a fix would be, to have the adsense on top again, but change the page number field to have a bigger canvas so that the adsense does not overlap the page numbers when the adsense get pushed below or to set it be default to be below/above the page numbers. No idea how good or stupid that would look in big resolutions.
Second, slim down the navigation bar to fit with the rest of the page.
The reason i didn't use the new default skin is, because of the navigation bar taking up almost half my screen, leaving very little space to view the actual content i'm interested in.
For the frame at the bottom no idea, what has gone wrong there.

#13 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

slim down the navigation bar to fit with the rest of the page.
The reason i didn't use the new default skin is, because of the navigation bar taking up almost half my screen, leaving very little space to view the actual content i'm interested in.

Yes, I understand you and unfortunately it's difficult to modify the navigation bar width at this moment. This will likely be taken into consideration when testing the implementation of a newer skin. Many details in forum usage might certainly be improved.

My suggestion for a fix would be, to have the adsense on top again, but change the page number field to have a bigger canvas so that the adsense does not overlap the page numbers when the adsense get pushed below or to set it be default to be below/above the page numbers. No idea how good or stupid that would look in big resolutions.

It would perhaps be more effective to place directly beneath the first made topic but it's not looking very well either so perhaps the bottom position is the place where it is less likely to cause any disturbances.

#14 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'm hoping to change the default boot land skin later to the end of this year and maybe then will be a good time to implement a visual prepared for these things.

AGAIN? :lol:

;)

;)

jaclaz

#15 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

AGAIN?

YES!

-------------------------

Later this year we'll be updating the skin from the current "Windows Vista" state onto an improved "Windows 7" state.

Analogous to the improvement felt by users when moving from Vista to Win7, readers of the forum should expect the aforementioned features that are currently available "by design" to be substantially innovating towards the most modern forum structure available in the known boot disk world.

However, rest assured that users of the classical skin may remain using the classical "Windows 2000" state for the sake of stability and some peace of mind without need to update their browsers to the latest versions.. ;)

Just kidding, will certainly try to add a better compatibility across different browsers and we do try to dust off our visual at least once a year as you might remember.

#16 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

so perhaps the bottom position is the place where it is less likely to cause any disturbances. :lol:

I'm not a marketing expert, but i believe the point of adds is to be in your way not out of it. ;)

;)

#17 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

Later this year we'll be updating the skin from the current "Windows Vista" state onto an improved "Windows 7" state.

Which in other words implies that after all I was right, I guess the above may imply that just like the users are feeling an improvement in Windows 7, they felt (mostly ) a degradation with Vista (and the new skin). ;)

Analogous to the improvement felt by users when moving from Vista to Win7, readers of the forum should expect the aforementioned features that are currently available "by design" to be substantially innovating towards the most modern forum structure available in the known boot disk world.

"substantially innovating"? ;)

"towards the most modern"? ;)

"structure available in the known"? :lol:

You can tell on my behalf the teacher of your "English as a language for propaganda and marketing" course that he is doing a great job ;)

;)

;)

jaclaz

#18 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

You can tell on my behalf the teacher of your "English as a language for propaganda and marketing" course that he is doing a great job

Well, don't know about a future in marketing but I definitively foresee a good career in stand-up comedy if I continue "innovating" at this rate.. :lol:

But seriously speaking, the web2.0 skin has a good visual but also has some defects that need to be solved or replaced altogether with a newer skin that provides good functionality and reasonably modern look to keep up with the trends.

I planned these changes to occur with some luck towards the end of the year.

Which in other words implies that after all I was right, I guess the above may imply that just like the users are feeling an improvement in Windows 7, they felt (mostly ) a degradation with Vista (and the new skin)

Yet, the newer generation of users will only prefer Windows Vista instead of Windows 2000 and the XP users will soon follow the upgrade path to Windows 7 that is not so different from Vista when you take some time to look under the hood without all the marketing bells&whistles.

The new skin provided a modern and unique look along with a good side bar to place informations and the site will continue changing to other skins as time moves over the coming years.

;)

#19 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

and the XP users will soon follow the upgrade path to Windows 7

Lies! Lies! :lol:

;)

#20 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

Lies! Lies!

Marketing! :lol:

#21 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

Marketing! :idea:

Do you want to meet Natalya_ru, subscribe and add to your msn :P.
Posted Image

#22 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

Nice, at least you have Natalya to refresh your eye-sight once in a while, here's how the same space looks for portuguese people.. :idea:

Posted Image

You're lucky.. :P

#23 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

:idea:
Well, lucky maybe, seeing a girl picture on boot-land.net made me a big smile :) .
Here is a scenerio: "I have to boot blabla, himm there is a website boot-land, let me click, ohhhhh yess russian girls are good lets search russian girl websites" :P

#24 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:58 PM

Don't be so surprised to see russian girls and boot disks being related on the same site.. My wife is part russian from her mother side and I can only say good things about that.. :P

But some diversity would be nice, thought I think you're still a lucky person.

Here's how the same publicity space looks for US citizens:
Posted Image

They get stuck with insurances and credits or something like that.. :idea:

#25 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

:) I fear to look how it looks for Germans! :P

:idea:

0 user(s) are reading this topic