X-File, a transparent standard for secure plain text

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

Hello,

Please allow me to introduce the X-File encrypted text format: http://x-file.xyz/

The safe and transparent way for sharing text documents between different parties, where part of the text is kept private.

It is the digital equivalent of a FOIA request, with two specific goals:

+ lock and unlock your text with a key
+ verify that a text was not modified

I needed a way to publish text files where part of the content could only be revealed with a key and that other people could verify it is original. The text had to be readable even as small parts of it would be hidden from plain view, the syntax needed to be simple so it wouldn't be forgotten or difficult to use.

I've wrote a tool for generating these messages from a normal desktop (java needs to be installed), you can download it from here: https://gitlab.com/x...test/x-file.jar

Still missing a tab on that desktop tool to decrypt messages. Feedback is certainly welcome, this is a work in progress.

Thanks!

:cheers:

#2 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

I almost mistook this to be a way to send secure plain text messages via SMS/MMS. Signal Messenger and Threema already works fine for that.
  • Brito likes this

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:54 PM

Strange thing :unsure:, but nice :).

And the BBS-like look of the site is great. :yahoo:

I guess that it would be trivial to add to the program a /MT switch :w00t: to produce something *like* :ph34r::

http://www.madtakes.com/about.php

The choice of (( and )) is interesting :dubbio:, as I would have expected something more like #$ob and #$cb  :jaclaz:

I like it, though - depending of course on how much of the text is crypted/obfuscated - the current "black bar" seems not particularly easy to the eye (or to the printer if printed).

And - as is - it seems like the length of the black bar is proportional to the length of the original word (same number of characters) which is not IMHO a very good idea as it is giving away a (very small, still ...) part of information on what is behind it, a set of (say) 5 or 6 asterisks, independently from the length of the word, would be highly ******, ****** if the tool is aimed to the ****** of ****** ****** to be ******.

:duff:

Wonko

• Brito likes this

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:15 PM

I guess that it would be trivial to add to the program a /MT switch

Maybe when a javascript version exists.

length of the black bar is proportional to the length of the original word

Modern age teasers, similar to what existed before:

post-1-0-18320900-1512684874.jpg

:cheers:

Attached Files

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:00 AM

Modern age teasers, similar to what existed before:

I know. :)

The length of obfuscation proportional to "underlying" text  remains an issue when you obfuscate single words (and of course is not a problem if you obfuscate several words or entire paragraphs).

And to be fair, within the limits above what existed really before (real ink on real paper) more or less worked, while somehow later with some (virtual) ink on (virtual) paper something didn't wok out as expected, JFYI:

http://www.macchiane...-senza-omissis/

:duff:

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users