155 replies to this topic

#151 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 19 hours ago

What commands do I need to use to install that package so that /boot/grub/i386-pc/  modules appear ?

What I did so far is not sufficient

attachicon.gif KALI_grub-pc_2021-01-25_071408.jpg

dpkg -i is enough.  /boot/grub/i386-pc is not needed, vtoyboot.sh will copy them.

You have installed the package, so now you just need to re-run the vtoyboot.sh. 

This time there will not be a warning message.

Edited by ventoy, 19 hours ago.

#152 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3239 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 19 hours ago

dpkg -i is enough.  /boot/grub/i386-pc is not needed, vtoyboot.sh will copy them.

You have installed the package, so now you just need to re-run the vtoyboot.sh. 

This time there will not be a warning message.

Succes !!  Thank you for your help  :)

KALI.vdi.vtoy is booting in MBR BIOS mode from USB SSD using vdiskchain

KALI_vtoyboot_2021-01-25_091407.jpg

#153 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3239 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 18 hours ago

I useSuper-UEFIinSecureBoot-Disk_minimal_v3.zip , download it and dd the diskimg to a USB drive and boot to its embedded grub with secure boot. And then chainloader vdiskchain and it boot fine. (I only test it on VMware with secure boot. My laptop is old and doesn't support secure boot)

In real life booting from USB SSD in UEFI Secure mode using Super UEFI grubx64.efi and Super UEFI grub2 system in \EFI\grub\x86_64-efi does not work for me.

I am still getting Secure Boot conflict with KALI internal /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod

Anyway for KAL Linux I can always make use in UEFI Secure mode booting from RAMDISK with kali-linux-2020.3-live-amd64.iso

renamed to kali-linux.iso in folder images and using Mint UEFI Secure booting is working OK .....

a1ive Grub2 2020-08-26 of UEFI_MULTI-50 supports booting \iso\kali-linux-2020.3-live-amd64.iso from RAMDISK using Linux GLIM menu

a1ive Grub2 2021-01-04 of UEFI_MULTI-55 does NOT support booting \iso\kali-linux-2020.3-live-amd64.iso from RAMDISK using Linux GLIM menu  - systemd-udevd unsigned problem

#154 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 18 hours ago

In real life booting from USB SSD in UEFI Secure mode using Super UEFI grubx64.efi and Super UEFI grub2 system in \EFI\grub\x86_64-efi does not work for me.

I am still getting Secure Boot conflict with KALI internal /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod

I think it's because Kali doesn't support Secure Boot itself. If your secure boot is enabled, you can boot Kali iso.

Kali doesn't contain a shim but Ubuntu does.

• wimb likes this

#155 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3239 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 17 hours ago

I think it's because Kali doesn't support Secure Boot itself. If your secure boot is enabled, you can boot Kali iso.

Kali doesn't contain a shim but Ubuntu does.

Yes I think that is the real reason.

Kali doesn't contain shim and does Not support Secure Boot.

#156 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 23 minutes ago

Yes I think that is the real reason.

Kali doesn't contain shim and does Not support Secure Boot.

I test it in VMware. If secure boot is enabled, Kali.vdi.vtoy will not boot, if secure boot is disabled, then Kali.vdi.vtoy will boot fine.

I will add a secureboot=off option for vdiskchain in the next release. If you want or just want to make a try, you can add this option like follows:

chainloader /grub/vdiskchain vdisk=/KALI.vdi.vtoy secureboot=off

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, windows, boot, vhd, image-file, howto

9 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

ventoy