6 replies to this topic

#1 jc1

jc1
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:42 AM

i have been having alot of blue screen crashes with of irq or bad pool header i am fairly new at this is there something that i can use to diagnose this problem or is it a virus problem

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

i have been having alot of blue screen crashes with of irq or bad pool header i am fairly new at this is there something that i can use to diagnose this problem or is it a virus problem

Hi jc1, welcome :cheers:

What kind of vid/graphics card are you using, on board or pci/agp etc. Do you know how to look in your bios for options like bios/memory caching or similar? Do you know how to upgrade drivers or flash the bios?

Oh yeah, what kind of anti-virus sw are you using?

#3 jc1

jc1
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

nvdia geforce 8400 gs
norton 360 and regards to the bios and memeory no but is there a tool or program that i can use to check this problem or could the memory be bad

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

nvdia geforce 8400 gs
norton 360 and regards to the bios and memeory no but is there a tool or program that i can use to check this problem or could the memory be bad

Yes, the memory could be bad but not easy to diagnose, you can try mem test for a simple check (run overnight for best results). This problem could be any number of things from bad drivers to vid card issues or just mis-configured system. Do you over-clock the system? If so how? Has anything changed recently that could account for this, hardware, updates, changes of any kind? You can try disabling the AV (disconnected from internet for safety) to see if that helps; temporarily remove any peripherals like printers, external drives, modems etc. Usually more advanced diagnostics require professional service but if you're up to it and know what you're doing, you can remove unneeded pci cards etc. If you have a vid card and can temporarily switch to on board graphics it's a good way to eliminate the vid card as culprit. RAM is very reasonably priced, you can get another stick (must match your system) to switch out and test, always nice to have extra RAM. Some of these 'simple' tests can leave your system temporarily unbootable and for the unseasoned novice, this can be cause for panic and dismay so if you don't feel comfortable with any of this, hire a professional! You should also backup your data before doing anything like this, a full backup of your hard drive might save you a big headache later :cheers:

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

Also, knowing which exact STOP ERROR(s) you had, may help.

jaclaz

#6 jc1

jc1
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

what can i use for good driver tester

#7 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

what can i use for good driver tester

Basically your own brain, possibly after having read a few books or a few hundreds of pages on the internet.

If you can supply some meaningful information, we can try and help you, but it doesn't exist a "driver tester".

Maybe if amalux had posted an explicit link to memtest:
http://hcidesign.com...t/download.html

by now you could have downloaded it and tested your memory...:cheers:

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users