#26 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

UPDATE: Gotcha! Data Backup is now featured in Computer Power User Magazine! Issue January 2013 on page 72!! :)
  • Brito and wimb like this

#27 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

http://www.computerp...ns/Default.aspx
page 71

#28 TheFog

TheFog

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Very handy tool. Thank you very much :)

#29 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Writing code and getting stuff to work when no one else can! Wrote a Windows Vista, 7, and 8 legal activation tool in VBscript and compiled it to exe. First project of this undertaking. Working on an AIO legal activation tool that includes XP.
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Now in a PE environment the %systemdrive% is usually the X drive. How will this tool know or is it coded to search for specific files that would be only on the "C drive"? I mean in the PE world, the "C Drive" for that machine could be any drive letter. I am sure the tool doesn't detect the PE X drive as the system drive for that machine is what I am asking?

I have answered my own question and thanks for this tool. :1st:

#30 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

UPDATE: Gotcha! Data Backup is now featured in Computer Power User Magazine! Issue January 2013 on page 72!! :)

These are wonderful news. Congratulations! :)

#31 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Writing code and getting stuff to work when no one else can! Wrote a Windows Vista, 7, and 8 legal activation tool in VBscript and compiled it to exe. First project of this undertaking. Working on an AIO legal activation tool that includes XP.
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

I have a new question. If I run Gotcha! Data Backup from a live system, the option to copy Firefox shows up but if I run this tool from Win7SE PE then the copy Firefox option does not show up? I use Firefox (I know...flame me) and may need to use this tool to get my data in case of a virus or whatever. Is this normal for Firefox copy option not to show up under PE? The host system or "C Drive" is Windows 7 x32

#32 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

I have a new question. If I run Gotcha! Data Backup from a live system, the option to copy Firefox shows up but if I run this tool from Win7SE PE then the copy Firefox option does not show up? I use Firefox (I know...flame me) and may need to use this tool to get my data in case of a virus or whatever. Is this normal for Firefox copy option not to show up under PE? The host system or "C Drive" is Windows 7 x32

That may very well be a bug.  I will look into it for you.  Thanks for reporting!!

• laddanator likes this

#33 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

That may very well be a bug.  I will look into it for you.  Thanks for reporting!!

Thanks! :good:

#34 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Siginet, did you have any luck with the firefox issue in PE?

#35 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

I haven't had much time to code lately.  Because of the holidays.  But I plan to look into it sometime soon.  Thanks for the interest. ;)

• laddanator likes this

#36 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm guessing I have found the flaw in my code.  Since Windows XP and Vista+ deal with "Application Data" folders and many other internal paths differently this is where I think my issue relies.  It seems it would work on a live system because Windows 7 is smart enough to redirect Gotcha to the correct location.  But when in the PE environment it is not redirecting it.  I haven't tested this theory myself.  But I will modify my code so that it will know exactly where to look while in a PE environment and it should fix your issue.

I will post the next version of Gotcha soon.  Please report back to let me know if it works for you or not.

Thanks!

#37 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

New Version v0.5.0.4 released!!

#38 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Going to test now. Thanks

Just tried to run your newest version under an XP PE. The previous would run, just no Firefox option, this version says loading hive C:\windows\system32\Config\Software and does nothing after. When I say nothing, I click OK and the program does not start or go any futher. Starts fine in a non PE envoiment.

#39 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

That is very odd.  I'm not quite sure what would cause that.  I use it in LiveXP all the time and I have not yet had this issue.  I will look into it.  What version of windows is located on your C drive?  There was not much changed in version 0.5.0.4 which should cause this problem.  It was a very basic coding difference.

Can you verify that 0.5.0.3 is working in this exact same environment?

#40 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

That is very odd.  I'm not quite sure what would cause that.  I use it in LiveXP all the time and I have not yet had this issue.  I will look into it.  What version of windows is located on your C drive?  There was not much changed in version 0.5.0.4 which should cause this problem.  It was a very basic coding difference.

Can you verify that 0.5.0.3 is working in this exact same environment?

I think maybe this is isolated to this one computer I was testing on. Found out later the HDD is bad and the OS is XP. I just tested on another machine (5.0.4) in Gena PE and the program started up like it should but still no Firefox option.

UPDATE:

Not sure what the deal is but I booted into my Gina PE with my PC at home, the one Firefox backup is important and I ran the 0.5.0.4 and the option of Firefox was in the menu list this time and it successfully backed up my Firefox . It's like it vary from computer to computer? Never could get the Firefox option to show up on a couple of PCs inside PE at work.

#41 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Was firefox installed on all of those computers at work? Because the option to backup firefox only shows up if it is found on the computers.

Check on those computers and see if their firefox profiles exist in one of these 2 areas:

"C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini"

or

"C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini"

If they do not exist in either of these locations... see if you can search for the firefox profile and post the location here.  Maybe there is some other location that different versions of firefox saves profiles?  Of course your PCs may not be on the C drive... which doesn't matter.  But these 2 paths should be the only 2 paths Gotcha needs to look in.

Thanks!

#42 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Was firefox installed on all of those computers at work? Because the option to backup firefox only shows up if it is found on the computers.

Check on those computers and see if their firefox profiles exist in one of these 2 areas:

"C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini"

or

"C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini"

If they do not exist in either of these locations... see if you can search for the firefox profile and post the location here.  Maybe there is some other location that different versions of firefox saves profiles?  Of course your PCs may not be on the C drive... which doesn't matter.  But these 2 paths should be the only 2 paths Gotcha needs to look in.

Thanks!

Yes both computers have Firefox. The difference is, the one that does have Firefox and Gotcha wouldn't load the Firefox option was XP OS on the "C DRIVE" and the one Gotcha did work on was Windows 7 OS on the "C Drive"

#43 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

Changes in the upcoming v0.5.0.6 Release:
NEW:  Windows WiFi Profiles Backup/Restore! (Works for Vista + Operating Systems. Will add XP support soon)
NEW:  IE Favorite sorting order is now Backup/Restored.
NEW:  Mapped Network Drives can now be Backup/Restored.
NEW:  Desktop Icon Layout is now Backup/Restored.
Changed: Product Keys are now backed up to an ini file (System\Keys.ini).
Changed: Windows and Office Keys now specify whether they are x86 or x64 installs.
Changed: Detect if OEM Product keys are Royalty Keys or not. (Only Windows 7 is checked for now)
To Do...
Ability to Restore Product Key to OS if the same Windows is detected.
XP support for WiFi Profiles.
Convert XP WiFi Profiles to Vista + Profiles and Vice Versa if needed.
Add support for Windows 8 Product Key Backup/Restore

#44 Agent47

Agent47

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 164 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi Siginet

Thanks for developing such a great tool and giving it freely to us. I have a question about mail backup support. Which mail clients are supported by this program?. Can this program backup and restore mail settings and contacts of Live mail and Outlook? (like the commercial tool Fab's autobackup 4 tech)

Thanks again for spending your valuable time to program this great tool.

#45 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

You are very welcome!

Yes it can backup Windows Live, Office, Outlook Express and Thunderbird.  And since my program finds most file locations for them in the registry you'll notice Office backup is really fast since it doesn't have to search the entire hard drive for pst files.

#46 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

Latest version finally released! v0.5.0.8.  It has been in the testing phase for quite some time.  v0.5.0.6 and v0.5.0.7 were only internal releases.  A lot of work went into this version and I think everybody will enjoy it!!

Please don't forget to give it a great review if you enjoy using it!
http://fileforum.bet...up/1347855415/1

#47 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

If I may :unsure::

Publisher: "ProfessorCPU"? :w00t: <- the link brings to: http://www.msfn.org/...xp-powerpacker/ (is this "by design"?)

Filename: GotchaBACKUP.zip <- maybe adding a version number, like GotchaBACKUP_v5_08.zip might help not "mixing" it with other versions.

:cheers:

Wonko

#48 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

@Wonko  What link are you clicking on?  The link in the thread is linked to fileforum.  Fileforum links to the correct file.  I'll go ahead and put a file version into the next zip file. ;)

Thanks

#49 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

On the linked page, there is this text:

Publisher ProfessorCPU
Homepage Gotcha! Data Backup
Uninstaller No
Latest Changes

- NEW: Windows WiFi Profiles Backup/Restore! (Works for Vista + Operating Systems.)

- NEW: IE Favorite sorting order is now Backup/Restored

- NEW: Mapped Network Drives can now be Backup/Restored

- NEW: Desktop Icon Layout is now Backup/Restored

- Changed: Product Keys are now backed up to an ini file (System\Keys.ini)

- Changed: Windows and Office Keys now specify whether they are x86 or x64 installs

View all changes...

The "ProfessorCPU" is a link to http://www.msfn.org/...opic=45947&st=0

(and I thought you were Siginet ;))

The "Gotcha! Data Backup" is a link to http://integrator.si...p?addons&id=243

The second seems "right", the first one less so :dubbio: as it sends to the PowerPacker thread on MSFN.

If this is "by design" :w00t:, then forget about it. :)

:cheers:

Wonko

#50 Siginet

Siginet

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 173 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

OK thanks! Professor CPU is my company name. ;-)

I'll double check that link. Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: data, backup, download, drivers, key finder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users