Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

Attempting to run a Win7PE SE build on my eSATA drive doesn't seem to work when I enable the CdUsb script. I've tried lauching it (using Grub4DOS) both as a "standalone" ISO file and as a WIM file with the CdUsb.Y file in the root of the boot drive with the same results in both cases. I end up with a screen that displays the wallpaper and a mouse cursor, but NO SHELL (explorer) at all.

Everything seems to work fine in Win7PE SE builds if I disable the CdUsb script -- except, of course, I then end up without any proper registry and menu entries for programs that aren't included in memory (i.e., in the WIM image itself) as there appears to be no other equivalent for Nightman's old process that assigned a %CDDRV% value during the boot-up.

Any suggestions? Workarounds? I'd really like to get this working on my eSATA drive as it's much faster than either CD/DVD or USB.

#2 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

There is a log cdUsb.log in system32 but if you do not have explorer !!!

Tries may be with this script, the time for the drive to be assigned is extended to 60 seconds maximum (instead of 10s maximum which is normally enough).

Attached Files

#3 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

Okay, thanks Chris. I'll give that extended (60 seconds) wait script a try and report back with the results. It'll probably be tomorrow before I get an opportunity to run another test.

Sure hope that it resolves the CdUsb detection and drive letter assignement issue required for using Win7PE on my eSATA drive. It's big and fast and I've never had any problem using it for anything (ISOs, WIM mounts, PE/recovery builds, etc., etc.) that Grub4DOS can boot on a USB drive. So this peculiar issue is a bit of a mystery.

#4 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

THAT FIXED IT! And I'm VERY happy with it. Merci mille fois, Chris!

In fact I'm typing this from IE8 in Win7PE SE running as an ISO loaded by Grub4DOS on my eSATA drive. (Haven't yet tried it as a direct Grub/Bootmgr WIM mount, but no reason why that wouldn't work just as well.) Perhaps I was just too impatient before, but I would suggest making the CdUsb operational wait time a configurable option in its script.

Apart from that single "glitch", it looks to me like an excellent PE builder. I created my build by running it under Win7x64 (but using a Win7x86 source) and it worked just fine. The end result lets me run ALL of my favourite recovery apps, inclding Acronis True Image and Disk Director with no problems at all. I ran a validation on a previous True Image backup just to be sure.

Excellent! Thanks again for the help.

__
P.S.: Just for your info, Win7's "security essentials" is suspicious of WinBuilder and pops up a warning at the end of the build process. Just click the "Ignore" button.

#5 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

Thank you, always happy to help when i can :cheers: .

I think that I'll put this script in the package right now, knowing that the 60 seconds are really a maximum,
It comes out and continues to load Win7PE SE as soon as the drive has been assigned by windows and changed to Y.

So, like that, no need additional parameters for wait time configured in the script (and end users question). 60 seconds maximum should be largely enough.

P.S.: Just for your info, Win7's "security essentials" is suspicious of WinBuilder and pops up a warning at the end of the build process. Just click the "Ignore" button.

certainly a false positive. Antivirus programs are often too suspicious these days, and they sometimes report too much false warning :thumbup: .

:ph34r:

#6 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

That sounds reasonable. It's certainly better to err on the side of more certainty for various hardware configurations.

Just a few minor suggestions for "tweaks" whenever your dev team has a bit of spare time on its hands. :thumbup: :

- add an option to display explorer date/times in ISO international format (YYYY-mm-dd hh:MM),
- add the abilty to include other columns in explorer, especially the file attributes display column,
(sort order options would also be nice)
- add an option script for "properties plus", or if 64-bit support is desired, for "attribute changer".

With the possible exception of 64-bit "attribute changer", all of them have been done before in other projects, but would make good optional inclusions in your own Win7PE SE, I think.

#7 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

You made same requests long time ago to LiveXP, Gena, it seems ;)

"ISO Date/Time (yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm etc.)" a checkbox exist for that in explorer script, additional options.

Attribute Changer" http://www.petges.lu/
Looks nice indeed :coffee: , never heard before, a script could be written for it if I find time or someone else Posted Image

A script for Properties Plus already exists on Gena with your Name, and can be used perhaps on W7PESE or any other project (via sharescript or copy).
Gena\Apps\System Tools\Explorer Addons\Properties_Plus_Arvy.script

For show attrib and sort order options, a script exist also in Gena
Gena\Components\Tweaks\tweaks.script (Other Tweaks)
on interface there is "Explorer Gui Settings" at bottom, which maybe* maybe useful for this, but I'm not sure the registry key matches with win7, to check.

:cheers:

#8 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Yes, I did make a similar suggestion for other WinBuilder PE projects a long time ago. I just thought that they might also be worthwhile inclusions within the Win7PE project itself.

Anyhow, it's no big deal. I (re)made my own for Win7PE (32-bit only) that includes Properties.Plus along with the Explorer options to display a file attributes column and ISO international format date-times. The registry keys are the same (more or less) as with Vista, except that Win7 uses sShortTime under the Control Panel settings. A copy of my script is attached if you or anyone else wants it.

I haven't made a 32/64-bit script for Attribute Changer (as I personally prefer Propeties Plus) but I can if anybody wants one. I do understand that all the "senior" WinBuilder developers are much too busy arguing about CAPIs and APIs and so forth to be bothered with such trivial end user concerns.:)

Attached Files

#9 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Thank you for the script, it will allow to improve explorer script for attributes column and ISO date-times format :) .

I tested Attribute Changer" who includes 64 bit support by installing it in PE, it is a good tool, it lacks a script for now.
http://www.petges.lu/

:unsure:

#10 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

I do understand that all the "senior" WinBuilder developers are much too busy arguing about CAPIs and APIs and so forth to be bothered with such trivial end user concerns.

You are a senior developer that is also taking part in the talks which you criticize: http://reboot.pro/14...post__p__128925

It is fine if the topic of conversation is not of your interest, what is not fine is to belittle the efforts of other people around here.

At reboot.pro we uphold mutual respect between members and poisonous comments are not welcome. Please refrain yourself from such comments in the future.

Thank you.

#11 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

Oh, lighten up, for pete's sake. The only thing senior about me is my age.

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

The only thing senior about me is my age

:)

Ok, fair enough. Let's move forward.

#13 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Just a few minor suggestions for "tweaks" whenever your dev team has a bit of spare time on its hands. :) :

- add an option to display explorer date/times in ISO international format (YYYY-mm-dd hh:MM),
- add the abilty to include other columns in explorer, especially the file attributes display column,
(sort order options would also be nice)
- add an option script for "properties plus", or if 64-bit support is desired, for "attribute changer".

With the possible exception of 64-bit "attribute changer", all of them have been done before in other projects, but would make good optional inclusions in your own Win7PE SE, I think.

Here explorer script with ISO date-times format and sShortTime, options to display a file attributes column (in additional options).
Attached File  1-explorer.7z   166.94KB   9 downloads

And a new script for "Attribute Changer" x86/x64 and multilanguage support. http://www.petges.lu/
Attached File  Attribute changer.7z   1.13MB   18 downloads

:cheers:

#14 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

Got 'em. Thanks.

Very nice job on that Attribute Changer script. You must have run the originator's setup twice on your own system in order to extract all the necessary 32/64-bit files for inclusion in the script. I may be forced to use it and give up my longstanding reliance on Properties Plus. It will be a sad farewell and will take this old codger some time to get used to the new one. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users