6 replies to this topic

#1 htbrdd1

htbrdd1
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Im trying to use the isostick to install linux to hdd. Im having a problem where only the isostick is showing in the installer.  What am i doing wrong? thanks

#2 bblaauw

bblaauw

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Are you seeing the isostick 'virtual cd-rom' section?

Are you seeing the isostick 'flashdrive storage' section?

Is your harddisk seen in system BIOS/UEFI? If not, Linux likely also won't see it. Assuming it's connected by SATA cable and SATA power connector.

Which Linux distribution (and version) are you installing?

Isostick inserted to USB2 port? or USB3 port?

If isostick already would have the ability to 'hide flash part, only show the virtual cd' then things would be a lot more clearer.

#3 htbrdd1

htbrdd1
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Yes i can see the virtual cd rom, flash drive, and the hdd from bios. I can also see and mount the drive in ubuntu, linux mint, and fedora. But when i go to install i dont see the hdd in the drop down. So i cant install. I have installed windows 7 with the isostick. I have windows 7 installed on the hdd im trying to install ubuntu or fedora on. Thanks

#4 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hi htbrdd1,

Hm, so the the ubuntu and fedora installers see the isostick flash, but not the HDD in the computer?

I seem to recall seeing a similar problem before, but for Windows installers -- if I recall correctly, the BIOS was returning the isostick flash drive as the primary HDD, rather than the one inside the computer.

If that's what is happening here, then as bblaauw mentions, the "optical drive only" mode would be most useful here. I expect to (finally) have that in beta early next week, I have been working on the firmware full time with good progress lately.

Out of curiosity, what is the make/model of the computer (or motherboard, if it's a custom build) and the BIOS version?

Thanks, and sorry for the issue! :cheers:

#5 htbrdd1

htbrdd1
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Yep that is exactly what is happening. The netbook im using is a asus 1015pe. I will get the bios version when windows is done updating. Thanks

#6 htbrdd1

htbrdd1
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

Does the beta firmware help with this problem? or any update on how to get around this without manually setting partitions? thanks

#7 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

The beta firmware unfortunately will not help, sorry. Still working on it, you can follow progress here: https://trello.com/b/FBQfKqk3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users