• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#51 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

To cut this discussion short, there's only one advantage to a 64 Bit PE and that is ....
that it can use the drivers from a 64 Bit Host OS.

For everything else, a 32Bit PE is eighter superior or at least, more than sufficient.

:cheers:

#52 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

You mean something like:

Win7 Professional booting from VHD http://reboot.pro/98...post__p__128716
Portable and Mini Win7 VHD with WinVBlock or FiraDisk driver http://reboot.pro/98...post__p__149407

XP installed to VHD and booting as FILEDISK or as RAMDISK http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553

@wimb
No, but thanks for the links. When I stated that I would like to see a true Native Boot VHD for Windows 7 product versions that don't currently support it, I guess I should have more explicitly stated what I was referring to. Another post of yours (here - just after the second post you linked to above) states -

Microsoft VHD HBA file allows to boot as FILEDISK and is in fact the best driver for that purpose,
but this driver is only available in the Ultimate and above versions.
In this case booting from RAMDISK failed .... with BSOD 7B

...this is what I would like to see working for other WIndows 7 versions.

I'm aware that both firadisk and winvblock can be used for booting a VHD file, however in their current states they both require grub4dos as boot loader. As only fixed type VHD images are supported I see absolutely no benefit to using VHD over a raw disk format (without the VHD header).

Native Boot VHD supports booting from sparse disks and does not require third party boot loaders.

Just for the record - I love grub4dos. I have also used firadisk and winvblock and was impressed with both.

@MedEvil
Seems like a good reason to me.

Regards,

Misty

#53 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

First, Forget the Xeon, it is a Different thing, next,
Tell me Why are we Fighting.

First, never put it into memory.
Second, we are not fighting. (If you want I can start a fight, so that you will know the difference)
I asked a question, you provided an answer to ANOTHER question (that I never asked) and I told you so.

And the Third,
We are Saying the Same thing, Then There is no point is Fighting.

No, we are not saying the same thing.

I am saying that in my opinion and experience there is no practical use for a 64 bit PE if not in very specific, UNcommon, particular situations and needs AND that I cannot imagine even one of them, so I asked about people that actually do use a 64 bit PE to list WHAT they do and WHY they *need* a 64 bit version of a PE, which IMHO has a number of disadvantages and no real advantage.

You said that there are MANY advantages, but failed to list even a single specific one, posting the usual mumbo-jumbo of 64 bit fanboys, additionally accusing me of not knowing what a PE can do and hinting that I do things without knowing what I do, something that I find senselessly hostile.

You don't know what a PE can do, and what it is Used for or You don't want to know.

Using a 64bit PE can be a Great Advantage to Many Things, 64bit is Always Faster on a 64bit Processor (most of the Processor in today's time), Or maybe you don't want to use 64bit PE because Here Wow64 is not available.

64Bit is Better, Efficient and most of People here have more than 4GB of Ram.

Do Whatever You want to But Please Don't do anything before you know what are you doing.

Now, with all due respect to your opinions and suggestions you made, it is not nice to accuse another member of ignorance, whilst hinting that he does things without knowing what he is doing is downright a lack of respect and a form of severe UNpoliteness.
I don't want to make a case out of it, mainly because you are a new member and 15, but you should know how I find your approach needlessly hostile and very unpolite.

Wonko

#54 Akshat Mittal

Akshat Mittal
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Technology, Technology, Developing Apps, Linux.
  •  
    India

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

I am Sorry for anything I did and You Din't Like it,

I use a 64Bit PE to Diagnose my PC as It has a Lot more than 4GB of Ram.
and I use WinPE 3.0 and not WinPE 4.0

It has Wow64, So I can run 32bit Apps.

#55 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

...I use WinPE 3.0 and not WinPE 4.0

It has Wow64, So I can run 32bit Apps.

No, it doesn't have WoW64.
But if somehow you've managed to get this package into WinPE (something none of us here was able to achieve), I'd be glad if you could PM me this WoW64 package.

#56 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

But if somehow you've managed to get this package into WinPE (something none of us here was able to achieve), I'd be glad if you could PM me this WoW64 package.

I am surprised .....

Make_PE3.exe has built-in support for SysWow64 in 7 PE in case of 64-bits Win7 used as source (Thanks to JFX)

#57 Akshat Mittal

Akshat Mittal
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Windows 7 64bit PE Have Wow64, I run 32bit apps on 64Bit PE

EDIT:
Read this, All the Answers are Available Here.
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=147.0

I made the PE with WinBuilder and not Using the Manual WAIK method.

Edited by Akshat Mittal, 24 March 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#58 Akshat Mittal

Akshat Mittal
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

It Have SysWow64

... I'd be glad if you could PM me this WoW64 package.

Wow64 is NOT Distributed as a package, it is already in the WIM file.
Mount the Wim of amd64 and Open the Windows dir, You will find SysWow64 in both Windows 7 and Windows Consumer Preview.

#59 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

Wimb,
I can see your Make_PE3 has all the necessary files and registry settings for adding WoW64 functionality to a 64bit PE.
Actually, I've been using Make_PE3 for quite a while.

This is great, but that's not what I asked.
I'm looking for a CAB package that can be installed with DISM, just like the rest of the WinPE packages.
If you, JFX or ChrisR can somehow do that (create an installable CAB file), that would be very helpful.

#60 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Wimb,
I can see your Make_PE3 has all the necessary files and registry settings for adding WoW64 functionality to a 64bit PE.
Actually, I've been using Make_PE3 for quite a while.

This is great, but that's not what I asked.
I'm looking for a CAB package that can be installed with DISM, just like the rest of the WinPE packages.
If you, JFX or ChrisR can somehow do that (create an installable CAB file), that would be very helpful.

We cannot supply installable CAB packages. That could be done by Microsoft but NOT by us.
Make_PE3 does NOT have the necessary files, it only has a list of filenames.

#61 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Make_PE3 does NOT have the necessary files, it only has a list of filenames.

@wimb
This list and any required registry entries would be very helpful - where might I find them?

Although I still (like wonko) see little point in a 64-bit WinPE for my own needs, it would be useful to have 32-bit app support for those rare occasions when I use 64-bit WinPE to run the installer for a 64-bit OS.

I'm interested in how to add this support to a base MS WinPE without any other dependencies.

Any pointers or help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Misty

#62 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

This list and any required registry entries would be very helpful - where might I find them?

Yes, Wimb - I'd also like to see the list of the required files and where I should put them.
And the required registry entries.

I'll put them inside the WinPE4 x64 WIM file myself.

By the way - I have opened the 5-Wow64.script in Win7PE_SE in Notepad to gain some insight.
However, the script is so long and has many variables, that it's hard to get a good idea which file goes where, and what exact registry settings are required.

#63 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

@misty and @ericgl

You will find the required info in my thread on Make_PE3 since I cannot Attach the filelist to the present post

See here http://reboot.pro/11...post__p__151208

JFX has made version WinNTSetup2_x64.exe Installer which likely can be used in x64-PE4 environment for Install of Windows 8-x64

#64 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks, Wimb.

Going over the files right now.
I will report back with results.

#65 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Although I still (like wonko) see little point in a 64-bit WinPE for my own needs, it would be useful to have 32-bit app support for those rare occasions when I use 64-bit WinPE to run the installer for a 64-bit OS.

To clear Wonko (the Sane) point of view on the matter, the issue is not about yours, or Wonko's *needs*.

The point is that there is no *need* for it. (or at least till now noone has provided a "sound" reason for using a 64 bit PE)

This said, making one is fun :) and it's OK :thumbsup:, as long as it is seen (like a zillion other things we do just for fun here on reboot.pro), as what it is, i.e. to have fun and not as something acually *needed*.

In a perfect world (still in Wonko's view from the outside of the asylum) limited resources should be used - while still having fun :) - in developing things for which there is a *need* with a somewhat higher priority than those for which there is no *need*.

Wonko

#66 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

The SysWow64 registry is given in 2 files

Make_PE3PE3_modPE3_regamd64PE3-SOFTWARE_CL_WOW6432NODE.reg

Make_PE3PE3_modPE3_regamd64PE3-SOFTWARE_WOW6432NODE.reg

Wimb,
I have mounted the WIM file for read/write.
Then I copied all the necessary files into my WinPE4.0 x64 from the Win8 CP x64.ISO.

Now for part 2:
I'm not sure if I should load the DEFAULT or the SYSTEM reg file, in order to add your registry settings.
Should I type the command:
reg load HKLMPE3-SOFTWARE c:mountWindowsSystem32configDEFAULT

or the command:
reg load HKLMPE3-SOFTWARE c:mountWindowsSystem32configSYSTEM

??

#67 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

You should NOT add My Registry Settings, since these are derived from Windows 7 and valid for PE3.
You should NOT use DEFAULT or SYSTEM hive, but modify the SOFTWARE hive of your PE4 e.g. loaded as PE4-SOFTWARE

What you should do is:

Boot with Installed Windows 8 x64
In Regedit Export 2 reg keys
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesWow6432Node]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432Node]

Boot with your normal Win7 x86 OS and proceed with:

For both Reg Keys use good Editor like UltraEdit to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEPE4-SOFTWARE
For last reg key remove [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEPE4-SOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoftActive Setup]

After saving you have prepared two files
PE4-SOFTWARE_CL_WOW6432NODE.reg
PE4-SOFTWARE_WOW6432NODE.reg

After load of your PE4 SOFTWARE hive then you need to use SetACL first and then import registry.

Now load your PE4 SOFTWARE hive as PE4-SOFTWARE and assuming you have 32-bits OS then (for 64-bits OS use amd64 instead of x86)

ECHO  ** Take Ownership of PE4-SOFTWARE hive **

C:Make_PE3AIK_Toolsx86SetACL.exe" -on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEPE4-SOFTWARE" -ot reg -rec yes -actn setowner -ownr "n:S-1-1-0;s:y"

ECHO.

ECHO  ** Grant full access of PE4-SOFTWARE hive **

C:Make_PE3AIK_Toolsx86SetACL.exe -on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEPE4-SOFTWARE" -ot reg -rec yes -actn ace -ace "n:S-1-1-0;p:full;s:y"

ECHO.

Now comes the reg import but modify YourPath according to where reg files are

reg import "YourPathPE4-SOFTWARE_CL_WOW6432NODE.reg"

reg import "YourPathPE4-SOFTWARE_WOW6432NODE.reg"

And unload PE4-SOFTWARE registry

Read the program code of Make_PE3.cmd in editor to get feeling on how to do it for your case.

#68 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

DISM can apply a image nowadays. This works out of the box, there is no need for another tool.
http://technet.micro...y/hh825258.aspx
And bcdboot is inclueded by default too.

Boot a Windows 8 installation media, press shift F10 and cd
Run diskpart to prepare the USB drive if required.
How to Apply Images by Using DISM

Run dism to apply install.wim to a USB drive.

cd 

x:>DISM.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:d:sourcesinstall.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:f:

x:>bcdboot.exe f:windows /s f:
d: and f: are examples. Adjust to your configuration.

#69 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Run dism to apply install.wim to a USB drive.

There is indeed no need for PE4 since you can, as cdob describes, easily boot full Windows 8 from USB.
The full Windows 8 has much better properties than PE4 e.g. Printer and Multimedia support
and it will remember installed programs and drivers and also has built-in SysWow64 support in case of x64 version.
May be the more interesting thing is how to reduce the size of such full Windows 8 in VHD on USB while keeping functionality.

#70 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

May be the more interesting thing is how to reduce the size of such full Windows 8 in VHD on USB while keeping functionality.

So, next project would be something like "8lite"? :unsure:

Wonko

#71 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

So, next project would be something like "8lite"? :unsure:

I think more of Portable Windows 8 in 1.6 GB VHD booting from USB
and made in 5 minutes with VHD_W8_Compact.exe by using Installed Windows 8 as source ........

#72 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

Wimb,
I'm sure that after Microsoft releases the final version of Windows 8, you and ChrisR will give us Win8PE_SE x64.

#73 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

Wimb,
I'm sure that after Microsoft releases the final version of Windows 8, you and ChrisR will give us Win8PE_SE x64.

Well ChrisR might do, but in my case it would then be Make_PE4.exe :)
Such Make_PE4.exe would build PE4 along the lines that you described and NOT like PE3 a fully customized PE with explorer shell .....

I think that Windows 8 is not so customizable and I remember that Make_PE3 was already a heavy task
and besides I would prefer instead of PE4 to have full Windows 8 booting from VHD on USB as described by cdob.
I think that I will Not develop a Compact version ......

EDIT: Did you try to Add SysWow64 support to PE4-x64 ? Did it work for you ?

#74 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm afraid of not finding enough time to get into a Win8PE project.
for now, I am a little troubled by Win8 cp and metro, I have to use it more, perhaps, to appreciate it !

I would prefer like wimb to go towards a lightweight(full) Win 8 project on USB, win8 ToGo,... but a little early for me.
Too bad to hear that there will be perhaps no VHD_W8_Compact version, a very good thing :).

#75 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

I would prefer like wimb to go towards a lightweight(full) Win 8 project on USB, win8 ToGo,... but a little early for me.
Too bad to hear that there will be perhaps no VHD_W8_Compact version, a very good thing :).

After some improvements ...... :clap:

Here are the first results obtained with VHD_W8_Compact.exe

http://reboot.pro/98...post__p__151631

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe4.0, usb, boot, adk

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users