Photo
- - - - -

Debian Linux + NTFS (accessible to Windows)

debian ntfs windows linux

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gagaman

Gagaman
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

Newbie here looking for guidance!

Problem: my laptop is destroyed. Fan not working, half of the keybord useless due to a fall... and no money. I have to study in my Uni, which has many PCs... but the most ridiculous search filters (it even blocks some google serches). But... BIOS can boot from USB in all of them. And Internet I can provide from my cellphone (3G over USB).SO!

I'm looking to do the following setup on a 32 GB Verbatim pendrive:

1) Debian Linux, x32, stable, not ISO, the whole thing. Not intended for "ocasional" use. I want the whole OS. (what's the advantage of using a persistent ISO anyways?). 10 GB should do.

2) Swap partition? Compulsory or optional?

2) 22 GB NTFS partition, accessible through Windows in case I want my pendrive to be used just as intended... a pendrive.

As I understood, Windows would pick up the first primary partition it sees: no problem there, I do the NTFS partition first.

Situation: Debian installed perfectly. Added a couple of generic drivers to enhance compatibility in any machine I want to use it. Booted in two different machines with grub. Windows can't see the NTFS partition (asks me to format the drive always).

Any ideas? The amount of different bootloaders, boot sectors, tools, toolkits... Im lost.

Thanks in advance for any anwer of guidance!

Edited by Gagaman, 07 November 2013 - 12:31 AM.

#2 Gagaman

Gagaman
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

Autoresponse: read a little more about persistence, I should create a personalized Debian image with persitence. Tips on how to install a Debian, add drivers/firmwares, some soft, repack the whole bunch into an ISO image and THEN dropping it on the USB stick?

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

I would go with Linux Mint. Has an installer already available there that will prepare your USB stick in persistency mode. Also, Mint works quite well with NTFS drives. You basically don't need to worry about them since it works straight out of the box.

The other advantage is hardware support. From my experience both Ubuntu/Mint are outstanding in regards of built-in hardware support. I don't have experience with Debian and so I'm unable to say how it ranks compared to the more mainstream options for desktop Linux.

:cheers:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: debian, ntfs, windows, linux

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users