7 replies to this topic

#1 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm unable to use the ISOstick on these models. I also tried disconnecting the onboard (S-ATA) CD/DVD drive. Nothing seems to work.

This is pretty frustrating. None of my current machines boots with the ISOstick, only some older machines. The above mentioned Optiplex machines have BIOS, not UEFI. That's, as another customer already put it, pretty frustrating indeed.

Any firmware updates - even public betas - in sight?

#2 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Still working on the updates which will bring optical-only mode, hopefully soon but life has a way of interfering...

What sort of issue are you running into on the Optiplex 790 and 980?

#3 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

The device is not even recognized, even when disconnecting the internal C/DVD drive.

#4 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

On many Dells the isostick is never recognized in the boot menu or boot order list, but if you set USB CDROM or CDROM or equivalent to the top of the boot order, it will actually boot from isostick, even though it isn't in the list.

Does this work for you?

#5 TWBalls

TWBalls
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

I don't have a 790 or 980, but do have 780's, 990's and 9010's (along with others, but it'll take a while to test them all). So far, I've tested it successfully on a 780 (BIOS Rev. A03.)

When you hit F12 for the boot menu, select "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive". It will likely give the "Selected boot device not available - Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility, Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics" error. If you press F1, it will then boot to the ISOStick. The first time you boot to it, it will bring up the ISOSel boot menu. Select the ISO you want to boot. It will then reboot. Press F12 for boot menu again, select the "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive" again. It will throw that same error, press F1 and it should then begin booting into the ISO you had selected.

I'll see about testing on additional systems. Currently, my issue is that it seems to be quite slow (Like, optical drive slow if not slower). Not sure if it's something with the 780 I'm testing on or what. I'll test on another system and if it's still slow, I'll try re-formatting the drive with Rufus. I originally formatted it with Fat32format.exe.

***edit***

Ok, currently testing on a 755. Same deal. It has the same issue of having to hit F1 in order to boot from the stick and it's slow. I'm going to try a re-format to see if that clears up the speed issue.

Edited by TWBalls, 04 October 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#6 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

@elegantinvention: I had tested this before and it didn't work.

@TWBalls: Thanks for the response. Will give that a try as soon as I have access to the machine again. Right now I don't.

#7 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

I don't have a 790 or 980, but do have 780's, 990's and 9010's (along with others, but it'll take a while to test them all). So far, I've tested it successfully on a 780 (BIOS Rev. A03.)

When you hit F12 for the boot menu, select "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive". It will likely give the "Selected boot device not available - Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility, Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics" error. If you press F1, it will then boot to the ISOStick. The first time you boot to it, it will bring up the ISOSel boot menu. Select the ISO you want to boot. It will then reboot. Press F12 for boot menu again, select the "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive" again. It will throw that same error, press F1 and it should then begin booting into the ISO you had selected.

How do you get it to show this message about F1?

Also tried the Zalman VE400, which at least is visible to the PC in ODD mode. it doesn't always boot, but it does on some Dells (990), but not on others (740). Very tricky.

#8 TWBalls

TWBalls
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

How do you get it to show this message about F1?

Also tried the Zalman VE400, which at least is visible to the PC in ODD mode. it doesn't always boot, but it does on some Dells (990), but not on others (740). Very tricky.

It's just the error message I get when I attempt to boot from it. I think it first tries to boot from the optical drive that is in the system. Once it detects that there isn't a disc in the drive, it throws up that error. Hit F1 and it then tries to boot from the ISO stick's optical drive emulator.

I've since successfully used it to install Windows Server 2012 on a PowerEdge R420. Currently, I seem to be having an issue booting from an ISO of Acronis Backup and Recover 11.5 on an Optiplex 960. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users