SvarDOS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:43 AM

There exists an Open Source DOS project here: http://svardos.osdn.io/

Unfortunately no screenshots. Would be interesting to know where it differs from FreeDOS.

:cheers:

SvarDOS is an open-source project that is meant to integrate the best out of the currently available DOS tools, drivers and games. DOS development has been abandoned by commercial players a very long time ago, mostly during early nineties. Nowadays, it survives solely through the efforts of hobbyists and retro-enthusiasts, but this is a highly sparse and unorganized ecosystem. SvarDOS aims to collect available DOS software, package it and make it easy to find and install applications using a network-enabled package manager (like apt-get, but for DOS and able to run even on a 8086 PC).

Minimalist and 8086-compatible

Once installed, SvarDOS is a minimalistic DOS system that offers only the FreeDOS kernel and the most basic tools for system administration. It is up to the user to install additional packages. Care is taken so SvarDOS remains 8086-compatible, at least in its most basic (core) configuration.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:26 AM

From the description that thingy seems largely an ASISOAP (A Solution In Search Of A Problem).

The issue is not "installing" software in DOS (should you accept this mission you should open a .zip or similar archive and extract a single file, or possibly a couple of them, to a directory in the PATH), the issue is finding the actual software AND making it available, and this latter has been worked out in my times (cannot remember right now if it was Jurassic or good ol' Triassic) by something that we (highly specialized technicians) used to call "public FTP repository", like - say - garbo or similar:

https://archive.org/...tp-garbo-mirror

:duff:

Wonko

• Brito likes this

#3 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:33 PM

I cant see any reason to not just use the FreeDOS instead. Or mostly DOSBox in my case, since my main purpose for DOS is to play old games.
  • Brito likes this

#4 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:49 PM

It looks mostly like freedos at the moment.  But it's an interesting variation, along the same line as Wenniger Wu's ChinaDOS,

• Brito likes this

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:40 AM

Yes, FreeDOS still seems the stable development whenever needing a complete DOS alternative.

Nevertheless, interesting to stumble upon these options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users