8 replies to this topic

#1 swade8

swade8
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

I have just installed windows xp onto a freshly formatted 320 gb hard drive. using isosel and mounting xp pro as a virtual cd.

After completeing the final steps of a typical installation  of the o/s., I proceeded to install the programs and drivers from another flash drive i have.

the problem is .. that there is no c drive... the primary drive letter is considered drive F:, how do i get this to not happen in the future... 

and by the way... there is no card readers attached to this system.. so, i'm assuming when i installed xp from the iso stick , it must have made the sd card the c drive, because now, each time in plug in a usb flash drive it is mounting it up as the c drive... is there a way to make the F drive a Primary C drive, without needing to reformat and install xp again from an actual cd... without using the iso stick as this is a huge problem now. the system performs very slow being tagged as an f drive... and all progams i wish to install is looking for a cd drive and in reality there isn't one... please help, how do I fix this.

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Does it boot without any SD card plugged in?

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

the system performs very slow being tagged as an f drive... 

No.

Meaning that the drive letter assigned to the System partition does not affect in any way the speed of operations, *something* else is the cause of the slowness.

Though possible, I would not risk to change drive letters, actually formatting it and re-installing seems to me the shortest path.

:cheers:

Wonko

#4 swade8

swade8
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Does it boot without any SD card plugged in?

Yes, it does boot, but it's a pain always having to change the c to an f just to install anything...

#5 swade8

swade8
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

No.

Meaning that the drive letter assigned to the System partition does not affect in any way the speed of operations, *something* else is the cause of the slowness.

Though possible, I would not risk to change drive letters, actually formatting it and re-installing seems to me the shortest path.

:cheers:

Wonko

reason as to why I think it's slower running is cause i have two systems identical , including hard drives, ram, board and proccessor chips... and one i loaded with the xp cd, the other i used isostick... the cd set the hard drive up as a c drive and the isostick set the drive up as an f... I guess, i'm just curious as to why it did that. and how to prevent it from reoccuring in the future installs using iso stick

#6 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

Hm, I think I have heard of this happening before with card readers as you mentioned.

It is probably your BIOS assigning the isostick's flash drive as the primary HDD (which Windows sees as C) during the installation.

Unfortunately unless there's some way to change that in the BIOS, the only way I can think of to get around this and still use your isostick for the install is to wait for Optical-drive-only mode to be implemented. That way the flash drive does not show up at all, so Windows should install to C. That's my best guess, anyway. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

• swade8 likes this

#7 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Writing code and getting stuff to work when no one else can! Wrote a Windows Vista, 7, and 8 legal activation tool in VBscript and compiled it to exe. First project of this undertaking. Working on an AIO legal activation tool that includes XP.
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

Format the internal HDD with a 3rd party program, like Partition Wizard, they have a free home version and it's ISO bootable and reinstall Windows from your IsoStick, when you get to the pick which (in text mode setup of XP) partition or HDD to install to, the internal drive will be C. I always before a XP reload boot to Partition Wizard and delete, format ntfs primary to the "system drive" and never have this issue as before, I would run into this all the time with card readers and USB drives plugged in.

http://partitionwiza...CFRGqnQodR2EA6A

• elegantinvention and swade8 like this

#8 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

Format the internal HDD with a 3rd party program, like Partition Wizard ...

Ah of course! I completely forgot about that solution  :pinch:

• laddanator likes this

#9 swade8

swade8
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

Hm, I think I have heard of this happening before with card readers as you mentioned.

It is probably your BIOS assigning the isostick's flash drive as the primary HDD (which Windows sees as C) during the installation.

Unfortunately unless there's some way to change that in the BIOS, the only way I can think of to get around this and still use your isostick for the install is to wait for Optical-drive-only mode to be implemented. That way the flash drive does not show up at all, so Windows should install to C. That's my best guess, anyway. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users