#1 Jerome69

Jerome69

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

Hello,

I would like to add "Acronis true image" to my SARDU USB Key.

But when I'm in the "Extra" menu, I don't know what I have to select :

687449SARDU.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by Jerome69, 08 April 2015 - 10:51 AM.

#2 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:10 AM

Better to use an older version of SARDU. You should just be able to select the Acronis ISO in the Extra menu, then tell Sardu to rebuild the boot menu. Some ISOs won't boot properly though.

#3 Jerome69

Jerome69

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

It's a pity that the new version don't accept my ISO.

Is it possible to find the older version of SARDU? And where?

Thanks

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

The issue here is not much about new version not accepting your .iso.

Most probably the older one would accept it but it will fail when booting.

The "extra" is a (very complex) way to add anything that is not pre-included and pre-made/arranged into SARDU (no matter the version).

Basically if what you want to add is already among the listed .iso's everythign is fine, if the particular .iso is not among them, you are essentially on your own, meaning that you need to know EXACTLY how to boot that .iso (through syslinux, grub4dos or GRUB2) before and outside SARDU, see:

http://www.sarducd.it/extra

by pure chance the given example is related to Acronis, but there are more acronis versions than stars in the sky and at each version something (name of files, ways to boot it, etc.) is changed.

For all that matters, you can have:

Name: Acronis Whatever

Type: Utility

Derivate: Either Enable and choose TinyCore_DER OR disable by selecting the below radio button and choosing any among GRUB, memdisk, etc.

Iso Name: mynice.iso

Version: whatever number you like

Category: Rescue CD

Link download: leave blank

Link home: leave blank

Text Help: whatever you like to type here

Notes: whatever you like to type it here

The net result, once you will have typed Save will be that the internal "database" of SARDU will have an entry with the data you provided and when you click on the icon with gears and "extra" on the left you will have this entry listed and you can enable or disable this entry (i.e. choose to add it to the buiild or not).

BUT you miss anything capable of actually booting this .iso, if you create the .iso you will find (inside the .iso and in the /Temp/SARDU folder a (more or less pointless) extra.cfg with entries that are automagically created based on the "Derivate" you chose.

Or, if you chose to disable derivate, there will be an even more pointless generic entry.

You need to go to Extra->Item Extra Menu->Add item to menu and create a new additional entry (but this won't remove the one(s) already there, so you'd better add an external additional extra.cfg.

Soon you will find yourself in a madness of entries that you either don't want, or are duplicate or both, and you will need to start again from scratch, in any case, unless you ALREADY know how exactly (which method, which loader, which entry in configuration files, etc.) the particular .iso can boot, you have NO chances whatsoever to make it working.

In a nutshell, and with all due respect for the Author Davide Costa who is - besides a fellow countryman - a friend :), SARDU is a very good tool :thumbsup: for the .iso's that it ALREADY supports and/or that are actually a "derivative" of known Linux  distro's (which are also supported indirectly in the Extra menu) but if you want to add a custom item it is NOT (yet) something "easy to use", as a matter of fact I personally believe it to be seriously (possibly over) complex, as in the attempt to make things easier *somehow* they are made extremely complex.

An Acronis image, by itself is usually complex enough to boot, particularly if in UEFI mode, see here as a an example:

http://reboot.pro/to...-grub2-at-uefi/

All in all it would make much more sense, particularly for USB, to make a "standard" SARDU USB (including in it only ALREADY supported .iso's ) and then add manually the "extra" Acronis .iso by editing the relevant configuration files.

:duff:

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users