#1 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Hi all ;) ,
Scenario:
Have you ever considered what you would do if your installation of XP got corrupted to to such an extent that a reinstallation was required. On your left hand side is your knackered PC & in your right hand is your XP installation CD, would you have the confidence to carry out the reinstall by yourself? To some this would be considered a scary prospect & some would possibly have to resort to laying out cash for someone else to do the undertaking?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could work through the whole procedure in an interactive way without any fear of stuffing up your existing system, call it a simulated installation if you like!

Well whilst trawling around on the net I have found such a simulator compiled by the "EchoProject". They have put together an amazing simulator which allows you to work through a typical installation of XP PRO, so you can work through the Whole process without the FEAR factor.

Also in conjunction with the simulator, the "EchoProject" people have put together a an "E" Book which gives you a companion written editorial on the various stages of the XP PRO installation.

All you have to do is download the attached file below (Run your antivirus scanner through it) then create a folder somewhere appropriate & unpack xpsimsetup.zip into this folder created previously. You should find various files & a subfolder. The two files of interest are:
1) Windows XP Setup.exe = The simulator (It will fill your PC screen with the interactive tutorial, never fear though, all you have to do to stop it is, press the escape key on your keyboard & you will be given the oppertunity to exit)
2) Tutorial.exe = The "E" Book

Okay, here is the one reservation that I would like to point out to you - The origianal file from the authors site contains "Spyware" a TAC 3 IECache tracking cookie (Cookie:owner@trafic.ro/ as identified by Adaware & A2 free) The only time it seems this adaware is engaged is when you go to the authors site "EchoProject". Steer clear unless you want to collect tracking cookies! What I have done is remove the html link page & repacked in a zip file. I tested the tutorial file & the simulator, after a run through, then ran a full check on my system for spyware & non was found, however, once I linked to the site "Echo Project" the tracking cookie was apparent! The moral of the story is use at your own risk!

The simulator is really good (Best I've seen) & you get to play & learn in safety!

ENJOY!

ispy :thumbup:

Attached Files

#2 AeroXP

AeroXP

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Motorola 68000 Assembler, PCs, Betas, Boot Disks, x86 Assembler
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:58 AM

The simulator has some spelling and layout problems though, but good anyway! ;)

#3 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

Hi AeroXP ;)

Yes, I thought it was kinda nifty, a useful training aid!

Regards & Best Wishes,

#4 Iznogoud

Iznogoud

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

Hi AeroXP ;)

Yes, I thought it was kinda nifty, a useful training aid!

Regards & Best Wishes,

It would be nice to make the files from scratch so you and we know it is safe to use. But where to begin?

#5 rawr

rawr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:02 PM

It would be nice to make the files from scratch so you and we know it is safe to use.

true! ( tho iv not looked ,the description sounds hmm.. interesting )

But where to begin?

;)

download&install -'virtual test environment'
http://www.boot-land...4750#entry36425

make the virtual display sized to: 800x600

then capture (jpg) using :
a) print screen key
:thumbup: http://www.bhelpuri.net/Snippy/
c) another tool simler to snippy (losed the link ..iv seen posted sum where round hear)

run set up (and other things!!) use [right-alt-P] - to pause/resume (virtual pc) capture ect

save captured jpg in sequence
eg :
000_first_boot.jpg
***-fill in blanks!
999_last_reboot.jpg

could be a start

#6 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

Hi all :thumbup: ,

You guys going to make your own version Kewl. It might be a little tricky to beat however as the routine is a little more that screenshots, it is interactive. At each stage of the simulated install the user is asked to carry out functions, that is enter data like regional settings, product key etc in an attempt to reproduce a real life simulation of an XP Pro install. So in a sense it is more like a program.

My intention was not to scare people off with the reservations in post #1 but wanted reveal the spyware I attracted whilst visiting the "EchoProject" Web-site, hope this helps a little?

All I can say is I also tested the unpacked files with the latest up to date AntiVir (Antivirus program) & as stated in the previous post have tested with Adaware SE & A2 Free version. If you like I could run a full system Scan with SuperAntiSpyware which has proven very reliable in past for bug diagnosis & removal operations?

Anyway will leave it with you, you guys are in the driving seat!

Regards,

ispy ;)

#7 benxhi

benxhi

• Tutorial Writer
  • 87 posts
  •  
    Albania

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

well this one is cool ;) i used it before , just for fun but the grafics are not the same as if you were doing it real :thumbup:.
but if you are making your own version than tell me what can i do ?

#8 rawr

rawr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

but if you are making your own version than tell me what can i do ?

well! i have looked into this sort of thing before ... what i had in mind was far more simple (jpg's html & javascript)
using image maps . but after looking closer at /xpsimsetup/ files ..
and trying to extract them using uniextract i found the aplication use's

jpg's and html (with in hta) to sum extent and

a) Posted Image
also delphi (i know little or nothing about this :) ..anyone.. :) )
... as sum kind of wraper between flash & hta posibly :)
b ) Posted Image
sum sort of shockwave/flash player

hear is my findings/jpg of the structure of the "EchoProject"-tutoral/aplication
http://free.7host05....etup/dir_js.asp

benxhi - im going to try and learn a bit of flashActionScript
(its simmler to java/emca/script this ido know alittle about )
and will post hear any progress made .. i hope u will be the first to test if so !

suggestions/contribuitons welcome.. on any les complex method to make 'interactive tutorals' walkthrough's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users