#1 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:17 PM

Hello there.

Based on another post here, http://reboot.pro/to...-with-grub4dos/ , I would like to know what is needed to boot a linux distro from a VHD(X) file resident on a NTFS partition of a PC running Windows 7.

I have the PC running Windows 7, I have grub4dos installed and I need to know how I would install the linux distro to the VHD(X) file and how I would be able to boot it from G4D.

I think I could install Virtualbox, create a VM, add a VHD(X) virtual hdd to that VM and install Linux on it. That's one way. Are there other alternatives that I wouldn't need Virtualbox?

And how about actually booting the distro from the VHD file with G4D? What kind of menu.lst entry would I need?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

#2 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

linux in windows. some distros have this feature: deepin, ubuntu (some versions only), mint (some versions only). u also need wubi in order to get it done. 

• john3voltas likes this

#3 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:31 PM

linux in windows. some distros have this feature: deepin, ubuntu (some versions only), mint (some versions only). u also need wubi in order to get it done. 

Hi antonino61,

Thanks for sharing that possibility but I am really looking forward to using grub4dos, not wubi.

It might become a alternative in case there's no way of doing that with grub4dos. But it will need to support Arch Linux which is what I currently use.

Thanks.

Cheers

#4 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:13 AM

wubi for installing, and it would still be a wubi version of grub4dos that would load it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, linux, vhd, ntfs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users