- - - - -

Intel Optane memory module caching an HDD vs SSD only

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

OK, so me and a friend are considering buying Intel Optane memory modules for our laptops, we both have gaming laptops that are compatible. We are looking at the 32GB version. The price is right, good reviews, and has certain advantages over SSDs. Normally I go with Samsung as my reliable go-to source for SSDs, but this Optane concept is intrigueing.

Has anyone here tried Optane? The idea is to install a regular HDD slave into one of my 2 SATA3 ports, and use the Optane memory module to cache that drive, while using a regular M.2/NVMe SSD as the boot drive for our OSes. Things like games are fine on an HDD.

Or, should I just install a regular SSD into the SATA3 port instead? In addition, I have 2 M.2 ports as well as an NVMe port.

Could Optane be used as a RAM drive solution for booting Windows from a RAM disk? If the right drivers are installed and GRUB4DOS can access the module, then I don't see why not. Of course we would also want to upgrade our RAM as well, Optane cannot fully substitute RAM at this point in time, and may not be able to for years.

Intel is also marketing another version of Optane that is similar to an SSD, and offers performance that is somewhere between an SSD and RAM. I'm not sure what the exact differences are between Optane memory and SSD products, still researching that.

Any thoughts or experiences?

#2 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:54 AM

the last version u have mentioned (optane as hd) is the most practicable and convenient.

nino

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users