37 replies to this topic

#1 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

Tried to install a windows service pack and when I restarted my comp, vista wouldn't boot. When I try to boot it up, it gives me this screen that says
Booting Windows Vista
Acpi
Vista Loader
Done!
Fallback 1
Find --set-root /bootmgr
Error 17: file not found
Booting: Windows NT/2000/XP
Fallback 2
Find --set-root /ntldr
Error 17: file not found
Booting Enter Command Line
Boot failed. Press any key to enter command line.
Holy shit I have no idea where to begin. If anyone can help, I will love you forever. I don't know jackshit about command lines or computers, to be honest.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Well, first thing:

DON'T PANIC

(assume the above to be written in large, friendly letters)

You need to provide some information on how exactly was your system BEFORE you downloaded and installed the WAREZ that caused the issue.

I know that you already found this thread:

http://reboot.pro/to...b4dos-error-17/

and consequently this one where a simiar issue was solved:

http://reboot.pro/?showtopic=3833

There is an issue with the board that corrupted or botched *anything* that was in a Codebox, so let's start again from fresh.

Please describe your PC (make/model) and the OS you were running before, if it had more than one partition on hard disk, please post any info you may remember about them.

When you boot and you get the:

Boot failed. Press any key to enter command line.

press a key and you should find yourself at a prompt like:

grub>

at it type:

geometry (hd0)

and press [ENTER]

You should get feedback like (similar to, but not the same):

geometry (hd0) = drive 0x80(LBA): C/H/S=155061/255/63, Sector Count/Size=-1803912331/512
Partition num: 0, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x27
partition num: 1, filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x6
partition num: 2, filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x7

Post it EXACTLY.

:cheers:

Wonko

#3 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

I have a dell Inspiron 530s and I was running Vista prior to the crash. I believe I had 2 partitions.
After I enter geometry (hd0), I get

Drive 0x80(LBA): C/H/S=16383/255/63, Sector Count/Size=488281250/512
Partition num: 0, Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x16
Partition num: 1, Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x7
Partition num: 2, Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x7

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Vaxun, 09 June 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Good :).

Now try:

root (hd0,0)

[ENTER]

ls

[ENTER]

The "root (hd0,0)" should provide a single line of text, similar to:

Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x16

whilst the "ls" command should provide a list of files in the root of the partition (that could be very long)

Please post just the output of the root command BUT check in the "ls" output if you can see any of:

• bootmgr
  • boot
  • windows

listed. 

Repeat with:

root (hd0,1)

ls

root (hd0,2)

ls

Wonko

#5 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

Yea, the root (hd0,0) gave me Filesystem is fat, partition type is 0x16

When I type in the "Is" command, it says error 32: unrecognized command.

If it helps, I'm not sure if there is bootmgr on this comp. Every thread I've followed has worked perfectly up to the point where they ask to chainload bootmgr, but when I try to chainload bootmgr it says Error 17: File not found. Not sure if that'll be helpful. Just thought I should mention it.

Edited by Vaxun, 10 June 2013 - 12:44 AM.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

"ls" is LS (only in small letters) not IS (with the "I" CAPITAL and the "s" small).

If you prefer it comes for "LiSt" (but all grub4dos commands are case sensitive and in small letters).

The issue may be a "missing/deleted" bootmgr, but we have to first understand if there is something else (and before it).

It is not "standard" to have a "hidden FAT partition" with 0x16 as partition ID, and - at least in the other cases the half @§§ed "Vista Loader" created issues with changing partition status/filesystem and not deleting a file (unless the cause is something else).

And besides the bootmgr, an additional file is needed to boot (the \boot\BCD), the issue is that while the bootmgr is "generic" (and can be copied from the VIsta install Cd alright), the \boot\BCD is specialized to the machine and -if missing also - needs to be expressly re-created, and to do so we need to understand what was the "boot" partition and which was the "system" partition (if not the same).

Hence listing is needed.

With more info it would be possible to either re-add the missing files or create a "temporary" boot floppy/stick/cd in order to boot the system and then fix the remaining issue with OS booted.

Wonko

#7 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

I tried

root (hd0,0)

ENTER

ls (lowercase LS)

But it still says error 32: unrecognized command

Would there be another way to get the "boot" partition and the "system" partition without using ls?

Is it uncommon for ls to register as an unrecognized command?

Sorry for all the trouble D:

Edited by Vaxun, 10 June 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

That's really queer :unsure: ls is a "historical" command (it is the *nix/Linux correspondent to DOS "dir" command), and is present in each and every GRUB and grub4dos version.

However, try this other thing:

root (hd0,0)

[ENTER]

find /

[TAB]

(TAB autocompletion will also provide a list of the files in the root of the volume).

Repeat with (hd0,1) and (hd0,2).

Wonko

#9 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

For root (hd0,0), the results for "find /" are command.com dellbio.bin dellrmk.bin autoexec.up config.up copyup.bat delldiag.ini diags himem.sys autoexec.bat config.sys oobedone.flg

For root (hd0,1), the results for "find /" are $AVG $RECYCLE.BIN dell Program_Files ProgramData sources System_Volume_Information Tools Users Windows

For root (hd0,2) the results for "find /" are config.sys d78fecf0c4f189b2f803e68a17039109 DELL dell.sdr doctemp Documents_and_Settings drives drvrtmp grldr hiberfil.sys Intel IO.SYS IPH.PH MDT MSDOS.SYS MSOCache pagefile.sys PerfLogs pivot.log Program_Files ProgramData R205375.exe R212337.EXE RZsofttemp System_Volume_Information updatedat fix.log user.js Users Windows winnt_ $$DeleteMe.CbsMsg.dll.01ce64a3464ab383.0008 $$DeleteMe.CbsMsg.dll.mui.01ce64a3464ab383.0009 $$DeleteMe.cfgmgr32.dll.01ce64a34632e5c3.0002 $$DeleteMe.dpx.dll.01ce64a346354723.0003 $$DeleteMe.es.dll.01ce64a3464d14e3.000a $$DeleteMe.oleaut32.dll.01ce64a346308463.0001 $$DeleteMe.schedsvc.dll01ce64a34637a883.0004 $$DeleteMe.setupapi.dll.01ce64a3463a09e3.0005 $$DeleteMe.srclient.dll.01ce64a3463a09e3.0006 $$DeleteMe.TrustedInstaller.exe.01ce64a3464ab383.0007 $$DeleteMe.umpnpmgr.dll.01ce64a3462bc1a3.0000 $$DeleteMe.winhttp.dll.01ce64a3465dbe83.000b $AVG $RECYCLE.Bin 21040f3b99d0af19cc19 autoexec.bat Boot

Edited by Vaxun, 10 June 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Good, so the first partition after all is OK (in the sense that it is OK as hidden, maybe it should have a 12 or DE partition ID, but it's OK), it is a Dell "service tools" partiion.

The (hd0,1) contains a "Windows" partition, and a "Users" one.

The (hd0,2) contains also a "Windows" partition and a "documents and settings" one, and a "boot" one (maybe).

At first sight it sounds like there is/was a "Windows" install on both (hd0,1) and (hd0,2), the latter sounds like being the "current" one.

Do:

root (hd0,2)

[ENTER]

find /boot/

[TAB]

is there a BCD file?

Do you have a (I am presuming you were running Vista) an install CD/dvd for it?

Run also this:

cat --hex skip=446 (hd0)+1

[ENTER]

First line 0x000001BE is first entry in MBR partition table, corresponding to (hd0,0)

Second line 0x000001CE is second entry,  corresponding to (hd0,1)

Third line 0x000001DE is third entry, corresponding to (hd0,2)

Either first, second or third line should begin with "80", which one? (that would be the active partition)

Wonko

#11 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Yes, there were 4 BCD files. BCD BCD.LOG BCD.LOG1 BCD.LOG2

No Vista install CD

When I tried to run "cat --hex skip=446 (hd0)+1" it responded with

Error 1: Filename must be either an absolute pathname or blocklist.

Edited by Vaxun, 10 June 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

My bad :blush:, I missed a couple slashes:

cat --hex --skip=446 (hd0)+1

Not having a Vista install might be an issue, you can get "a" BOOTMGR from almost everywhere, and a Windows 7 one would do, but if there are other issues that will be a problem.

Do you have a "disposable" (in the sense that you can re-format/re-partition it as the data in it has already been saved elsewhere) USB stick?

Wonko

#13 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

The third line begins with 80.

I have a USB stick about 2 gb capacity. Would that suffice?

Also, I just found a Windows XP 04 bootable CD. Would that work as opposed to a Windows7 or Vista CD?

Edited by Vaxun, 10 June 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

The third line begins with 80.

Good, so the actual "boot" (and also "system") partition is definitely (hd0,2).

I have a USB stick about 2 gb capacity. Would that suffice?

Yes, more than enough. (a floppy would have done, but nowadays floppies are a rare case).

Also, I just found a Windows XP 04 bootable CD. Would that work as opposed to a Windows7 or Vista CD?

Unfortunately no, NT up to XP/2003 used NLTDR+BOOT.INI, since Vista :ph34r: they use BOOTMGR+\boot\BCD when booting.

The "general idea" is to make out of the USB stick a bootable "something" that can be booted on that machine and that either can boot it or that can copy to it the needed files in order to have it booted.

What are you currently running/using to access the board?

Which OS, I mean?

Which machine?

Wonko

#15 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

I'm on my roommates iPad 1. The operating system is iOS 6.1.3

#16 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:46 AM

ls is a "historical" command (it is the *nix/Linux correspondent to DOS "dir" command), and is present in each and every GRUB and grub4dos version.

Wonko

>>> ls is a "historical" command (it is the *nix/Linux correspondent to DOS "dir" command),

right.

>>> and is present in each and every GRUB and grub4dos version.

not really.  Grub legacy has no LS command. LS occurs only in some newer grub4dos versions.

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm on my roommates iPad 1. The operating system is iOS 6.1.3

That would be tricky :dubbio: (if posible at all) :(,

Can't you find a PC running Vista or 7 and borrow it?

@tinybit

My bad, my memory is not as good as it used to be, I really though that it was already n "Legacy" GRUB, but it is in grub4dos since at least 0.4.4 as it was included in the guide:

http://diddy.boot-la...commands.htm#ls

maybe the version OP has is even earlier than that. :unsure:

Wonko

#18 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

I can get a laptop that runs Windows 7.

#19 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

I can get a laptop that runs Windows 7.

Good. :)

Then download on it RMPREPUSB, from here:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/

Follow the instructions to make the USB stick bootable with grub4dos, you want to make a FAT partition (and NOT a NTFS one).

Then, copy to the stick the BOOTMGR you can find on the Windows 7 laptop.

You might need (it depends on settings) to make "hidden and system files visible" in Explorer and/or access the hidden boot partition (some Windows 7 installs have a 100 Mb hidden partition where BOOTMGR is).

Copy to the stick also the \boot\ directory that you will find in the same volume BOOTMGR is.

Now there are two possible paths, either do everything with grub4dos: 

Then get from here:

http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

http://code.google.c...30.zip&can=2&q=

And unzip the "fat" file in root of the stick.

Then try booting the stick on your laptop.

You should hopefully get to a grub4dos menu.

Then we'll talk of the commands that you need to run.

Or, maybe easier even if "longer", add to the stick a Linux distro with NTFS support.

Follow this:

http://www.rmprepusb...-maintain/e2bv1

Puppy Linux would be a good choice:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/.../precise-5.4.3/

Again, when you get to this point will talk of the exact procedure.

The general idea being:

If using only grub4dos:

Since grub4dos in itself cannot create a file on a NTFS volume, copy from the internal disk the \boot\BCD to the stick (FAT) and then use the BOOTMGR and \boot\BCD on the stick to attempt booting the Vista on the laptop.

If using a Linux Distro:

Since the Linux has NTFS support copy the BOOTMGR from the stick to the internal disk and then try booting the Vista on the laptop from the internal hard disk.

Wonko

#20 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Ok. I got the stick bootable with Grub4DOS (I think). I used the RMPREPUSB program and installed Grub4DOS on it. I used the second method that you linked (Easy2Boot program) and it worked. When I run a practice test (on the program using the QEMU emulator), it shows up with something like http://i.imgur.com/6iAy6Cy.jpg . After I get that screen Im not sure what else to do. The tutorial says to add an ISO file, but it doesnt specify which ISO file. From your instructions, I assume its the Puppy Linux file? The problem is that the Puppy Linux you linked is different than the Puppy Linux file on the list of ISO files that work on the website. Yours ( http://ftp.nluug.nl/.../precise-5.4.3/ ) compared to the websites ( ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/ ). Also, when I download the Puppy Linux file, "- simply copy an ISO file into the \_ISO\MAINMENU folder 

- or -
If it is a Windows Install ISO, copy it to the relevant folder under \_ISO\WINDOWS 
  (e.g. if it is a Windows 7 Install ISO, copy the ISO to the \_ISO\WINDOWS\WIN7 folder)." (taken from the website)  I would basically take the ISO file (Puppy Linux in this case?) and move it to the MAINMENU folder ,yea? Any idea what I would do from there?

Hoorah for progress!

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Ok. I got the stick bootable with Grub4DOS (I think). I used the RMPREPUSB program and installed Grub4DOS on it. I used the second method that you linked (Easy2Boot program) and it worked. When I run a practice test (on the program using the QEMU emulator), it shows up with something like http://i.imgur.com/6iAy6Cy.jpg . After I get that screen Im not sure what else to do. The tutorial says to add an ISO file, but it doesnt specify which ISO file. From your instructions, I assume its the Puppy Linux file? The problem is that the Puppy Linux you linked is different than the Puppy Linux file on the list of ISO files that work on the website. Yours ( http://ftp.nluug.nl/.../precise-5.4.3/ ) compared to the websites ( ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/ ). Also, when I download the Puppy Linux file, "- simply copy an ISO file into the \_ISO\MAINMENU folder 

- or -
If it is a Windows Install ISO, copy it to the relevant folder under \_ISO\WINDOWS 
  (e.g. if it is a Windows 7 Install ISO, copy the ISO to the \_ISO\WINDOWS\WIN7 folder)." (taken from the website)  I would basically take the ISO file (Puppy Linux in this case?) and move it to the MAINMENU folder ,yea? Any idea what I would do from there?

Hoorah for progress!

Puppy is just an idea, a number of linux distro's will do, and if the version that E2B recommends/has been tested with is that one, use that one.

For the record, the text on E2B site says:

Puppy Linux Precise ISO precise-5.4.3.iso Lucid Puppy Linux 5.1 (no persistence)

so I guess that both are OK.

Files:

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.4.3/precise-5.4.3.iso

http://ftp.nluug.nl/...ecise-5.4.3.iso

should be identical.

Yes you just copy the .iso to the mainmenu folder.

But what happens now "as is" if you choose (in the menu that you posted a screenshot of) the #3 pmagic_2011_12_30.iso  (parted magic is another small Linux distro's that may do), but I don't know if it's already on that stick  or if you need to download the .iso and copy it to the MAINMENU folder :unsure:.

Wonko

#22 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Oh crap. My fault. I failed to specify that the pic I linked isnt the actual image of what is on my screen. I just linked a picture from that site because it looks really similar to whats on my screen. Im downloading the Puppy file as I type and when its done downloading Ill move it to the MAINMENU folder. What should I do after? This is what my screen looks like. http://i.imgur.com/UVbz73X.jpg Sorry about that :D

Edit: The ISO file just finished downloading and I just copied it to the MAINMENU folder. 

Does this mean that the stick is now bootable or no?

Edited by Vaxun, 15 June 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#23 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Does this mean that the stick is now bootable or no?
Well, try booting from it to find out...
You should get to that menu on your dell and have an additional entry in the menu for Puppy linux.

Wonko

#24 Vaxun

Vaxun

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

How exactly would I boot from the USB? Nothing is showing up. Would I need to change the BIOS settings?

#25 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

How exactly would I boot from the USB? Nothing is showing up. Would I need to change the BIOS settings?

Yes, you should have in BIOS something like "Device Boot Order" and a provision for "USB device", "Hard disk", "CD/DVD", etc., you have to set it so the "USB" is first in list.

Wonko

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vista, error 17

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users