No replies to this topic

#1 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:09 AM

Windows 10 1709 x64
ImDisk 2.0.9

I was given a new laptop at work.  The laptop has a DVD drive which I hate, I haven't used optical media in like 10 years.  I much would have preferred something lighter/smaller without DVD drive.  So naturally I start to install some of my favorite free software on it, ie ImDisk which lets me emulate most disk images (ISO and such).

I love to use an ImDisk ramdisk to store downloaded files while I decide to keep them or not.

Microsoft Edge is the default viewer for PDF files.  When I try to open a PDF on said ramdisk, Edge displays nothing.  Copying the file to the SSD then opening with Edge renders the PDF file successfully.

I thought it might be some anomaly with some combination of software, so I installed Windows 10 1709 x64 to a virtual machine in my Xubuntu desktop.  With a basic install, the problem still occurs...  PDF does not render in Edge if on ramdisk, but does if on the virtual SSD.  It is reproduce-able.

I was reminded of a another weird problem I had in the Windows 7 days, where Windows Media Player absolutely would not play an MP4 located on the root directory of a ramdisk, but would play if located at least one directory deep of a ramdisk.  But at the time I never took the time to reproduce it.

In any case, I'm sure it is some bug of Microsoft more than ImDisk, but thought maybe it might be worth investigation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users